Quantcast

!!! 1/2/202... ah... 4 !!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What are the odds the county will let me put up a used pole barn on my property? When I go to the planning office, they're going to want a site plan. And if I show them a site plan they'll want to see engineered drawings to go with it. Chances are, if they see engineered drawings they'll find an application with a hefty fee attached to it.
used building.... used plans. duh

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think a permit for an “agricultural building” isn’t much more than a rubber stamp in most rural areas out here… the problem is when you try to later convert it to some other kind of building…

A friend of mine who owned a tree cutting business wanted to build a timber frame house from the logs he cut. The county wouldn't permit him unless he got an engineer to verify the strength of the lumber, which apparently no one would do unless it matched the processes used by lumber mills. Clearly a 12"x12" piece of oak may not be strong enough but splintery 2x4s and particle board is.

He found a loophole where he built it as a barn and was then able to convert it into a house after it didn't fall over after 10 years.