Quantcast

> 2 stay <

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
doing the final packing for 16 days on the road. Next 3 are going to be brutal, 2200 miles driving 12 hours a day. Salt Lake City Wednesday night, Ogalala Nebraska Thursday night and just west Chicago on Friday night. Stay a week at the show grounds then head back home.

Work today

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Allo.

Made the mistake of doing some online house perusing last night, that was a humbling endeavor. I forgot how oppressive the property tax burden is around here. :eek:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Allo.

Made the mistake of doing some online house perusing last night, that was a humbling endeavor. I forgot how oppressive the property tax burden is around here. :eek:
houses in our neighborhood have been going for asking price or slightly above asking, which is a good sign for if/when we sell (as houses that are smaller / more outdated than ours is are already selling for more than what we paid for ours)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
doing the final packing for 16 days on the road. Next 3 are going to be brutal, 2200 miles driving 12 hours a day. Salt Lake City Wednesday night, Ogalala Nebraska Thursday night and just west Chicago on Friday night. Stay a week at the show grounds then head back home.
I can only dream about a trip like that nowadays. :(

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
For property taxes here, we paid $7,852.32 for house and land and $4,903.32 for a total of $12,755.64. Mot sure how that compares to what others are paying.
Okay, so that would be on the upper end of what we are facing. Seeing anywhere from $8K - $12K yearly for a house valued around $350K. Its been challenging finding anything within a hour radius of our desired location thats affordable, has enough bedrooms and bathrooms to support having a single kid, and isn't a deralict fixer upper. Well that and trying to swing this all on just my salary while maintain savings for all of the other things life has to throw at you.

Mind you this is coming from CO where my yearly property tax was $1,200.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
As unfair as stereotypes can be, they are incredibly convenient. The bony lady with scabs on her face at the convenience store who is twitching and begging for a cigarette MIGHT not be a meth addict, but I'm not going to waste any time thinking about it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Shucks. The bicycle shop of my childhood, where I bought my first real MTB, where I perused the aisles for hours dreaming about 100mm of travel, Hayes hydraulic brakes, and Avid Arch Rivals has made the decision to sell their 3 locations to Trek after 100 years of independent operations. So long Goodales.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Back from riding three days at Killington bike park in Vermont. Working today in upstate New York, then to Long Island to attend the wake of a dear uncle's Irish wake on Wednesday and the funeral on Thursday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
who said gentrification was cheap.....:D
In that my neighborhood is innocent, as it was the airport beforehand. No prior residents to displace because there were no prior residents, just taxiways, runways, and lots of (remediated) pollution from Jet A, surfactant from fire stations, etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
$7K for my place in Seattle with a slightly below median value. Not horrible if you consider there is no state or local income tax.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think your house was about 5x the value of @Adventurous's. :D
Undoubtedly. Of course, he also likely didn't have a convicted sex offender, a meth house (got raided), a Mormon family, and a house with perpetual visits from the police and was scene of a child being killed by an improperly stored firearm in his neighborhood, so maybe there's something to be said for the extra tax money.

In that my neighborhood is innocent, as it was the airport beforehand. No prior residents to displace because there were no prior residents, just taxiways, runways, and lots of (remediated) pollution from Jet A, surfactant from fire stations, etc.
I bet the remediate land at Rocky Flats is one heckuva deal too. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what was there before the airport....

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
what's up SB?
Not a whole lot... Month 5.5ish home with a 13 year old, both of us are in school online... Buffalo has been working through it all. The kid is finally stoked on shredding on his bike and has been visiting the local trails by himself even! He also hits gaps and drops and the mom in me is terrified a lot. Pretty rad!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Okay, so that would be on the upper end of what we are facing. Seeing anywhere from $8K - $12K yearly for a house valued around $350K. Its been challenging finding anything within a hour radius of our desired location thats affordable, has enough bedrooms and bathrooms to support having a single kid, and isn't a deralict fixer upper. Well that and trying to swing this all on just my salary while maintain savings for all of the other things life has to throw at you.

Mind you this is coming from CO where my yearly property tax was $1,200.
Makes more sense now, that seemed like a lot for VT until accounting for the actual acreage. Here in PA I think we pay about $5k/yr for half an acre.
Wow. What do you guys get for all them taxes?! I pay about $5900 (Cdn) per year for property taxes. I live in a townhouse downtown. People in big houses in the suburbs pay less. I frequently argue they use more.services than I do (roads, sewers, water, parks, schools etc...).

But your guys' taxes take the cake. Do they go to the counties too, to pay for highways and roads?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Wow. What do you guys get for all them taxes?! I pay about $5900 (Cdn) per year for property taxes. I live in a townhouse downtown. People in big houses in the suburbs pay less. I frequently argue they use more.services than I do (roads, sewers, water, parks, schools etc...).

But your guys' taxes take the cake. Do they go to the counties too, to pay for highways and roads?
faff3a1036ba04eebeac128dae742e37.jpg

Though in theory yes, they are for road maintenance, schools, police brutality settlements, the usual.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
We pay about $10k in taxes on a ~$500k house on a .50 acre lot. More than I wanted to pay, but in the 2.5 years we've been here, I can see where the money goes. Some of the best schools in the area, own water/electric depts that have always answered calls/fixed issues within hours, and streets constantly plowed quickly, even our dead end street in the woods with ~12 houses. Lots of community programs and resources for kids, etc. Great library, parks, etc.

Sucks paying that much, but would suck more to still pay it and not see any of the benefits