Quantcast

2005-2006 Intense M3 BB Shell width

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
I just looked at the new Intense website and while browsing in the M3 section, I notice in the frame specs that the BB Shell width was 83mm!! Is it me or in 2005 it was 73mm??? Can someone light me up on this one, 'cause I want to buy an M3, but already have my Saint 73mm crankset, does this means I will have to buy the Saint M805 crankset??

Thanks guys.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
hellonasty said:
I just looked at the new Intense website and while browsing in the M3 section, I notice in the frame specs that the BB Shell width was 83mm!! Is it me or in 2005 it was 73mm??? Can someone light me up on this one, 'cause I want to buy an M3, but already have my Saint 73mm crankset, does this means I will have to buy the Saint M805 crankset??

Thanks guys.
you might want to double check with them about the first generation Saint cranks....they clip the frame, the M805's do not.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
If they did go to an 83mm shell it would deffinately make the chainline better for the 150 rear end users. Did they take away the 135 rear end option? And it would also eliminate the crank/ seatstay contact issues.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
heikkihall said:
If they did go to an 83mm shell it would deffinately make the chainline better for the 150 rear end users. Did they take away the 135 rear end option? And it would also eliminate the crank/ seatstay contact issues.
I just talked to them last week. They may make 150 the only option in the future. I just built mine with 73X118.....i got a good 1/2 inch of clearance with 170 Holzfellers and some grinding.

With 135 you can build/buy QR or 10 mm wheels for next to nothing......its the way to go financially.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Cant Climb said:
I just talked to them last week. They may make 150 the only option in the future. I just built mine with 73X118.....i got a good 1/2 inch of clearance with 170 Holzfellers and some grinding.

With 135 you can build/buy QR or 10 mm wheels for next to nothing......its the way to go financially.
What width bottom bracket spindle are you running? Is possible with ISIS cranks/ BB to make for a great chainline, and not require any grinding of the cranks. But you need to run the 150 rear end to get that chainline.
Its deffinately a cool option to be able to run 135 or 150 and I see advantages to both. But for downhill I see the advantages of the 150 far outweighing 135. Whatever works for you though.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Cant Climb said:

There are a lot more 150mm hub options now than there was a couple of years ago. You should be able to find a hub for just about any budget. And the chainline, tire clearance, crank/frame clearance benefits far outweigh the cost difference IMO.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Dogboy said:
There are a lot more 150mm hub options now than there was a couple of years ago. You should be able to find a hub for just about any budget. And the chainline, tire clearance, crank/frame clearance benefits far outweigh the cost difference IMO.
If you already own a bunch of 135 wheels then the most
cost-effective strategy is holding onto them. Also you'd be surprised what a bike shop can get you in 135 QR,10mm disc wheel that come builtup. There is some very inexpensive and good stuff out there.

Technically 150 is better, no question about that.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I went with a 135 r to salvage some wheels with a 12mm thru axle setup. The xtr cranks from the m1 didn't make it though with a 73,112.5 bb. Profiles with the longest spline worked and only needed a small amount of grinding to clear the frame,,,, good to know about the saints.

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Just to set things up, I've wrote an e-mail to Intense and here is the answer they sent me back:

I am in the process of buying an M3 frame, but I just read on your website (in M3 geometry) that the BB shell width of the M3 for 2006 is 83mm, but in 2005 was 73mm. In your FAQ section, you wrote that the M3 had a 73mm shell. Did you changed it or is it just a typo error?? Thanks.

Answer:

For 2006 the m3 will be getting a 83mm bb shell.

Best Regards,

Christos Angelopoulos
Sales Service
Intense Cycles

In case some of you would need the info.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
its a wise move though, gonna be harder to get cranks for it but once you have that then there should be no need for grinding and swearing which seems to be a very integral part of setting up the 73mm bb shell m3's

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
vitox said:
its a wise move though, gonna be harder to get cranks for it but once you have that then there should be no need for grinding and swearing which seems to be a very integral part of setting up the 73mm bb shell m3's

It should be pretty easy to get BB and cranks this season, most people are rolling out 83mm stuff since a bunch of the frame builders have an 83mm shell now.