Quantcast

2005 Iron Horse Heyah

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am gonna make a bold prediction and say that will sell a ton of those Sunday Teams for next year.
Yeah, I know, I am brilliant psychic of Ms. Cleo's calibur.
Expect a TV show shortly. :blah:

Those bikes look sick and offer a very complete lineup.
Great job guys!
Sweet new 05 components as well.
FSA Gravity cranks and brand new Hayes! Woo Hoo.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok...it's time to stir up some sheiße;

For two years now they have not ran the Manitou Breakout+ as the fork on their DH bike, why?

Certain people, such as Ska Todd and others (DW?) told us that they felt it was as stiff as a boxxer, and fed us all the stuff about it being lighter and more flickable, blah blah blah, so;

Why do we not see that fork on the DH bikes?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Jm_ said:

For two years now they have not ran the Manitou Breakout+ as the fork on their DH bike, why?

Certain people, such as Ska Todd and others (DW?) told us that they felt it was as stiff as a boxxer, and fed us all the stuff about it being lighter and more flickable, blah blah blah, so;

It says MadCatz team spec, and they run boxxers rite? Just a guess, but like you said, that equates into marketing. Either way, sweet spec. (Unless you dont like boxxers :blah: )

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Kadvang said:
It says MadCatz team spec, and they run boxxers rite? Just a guess, but like you said, that equates into marketing. Either way, sweet spec. (Unless you dont like boxxers :blah: )
well, I just find it suprising given how much the IH guys (and anyone affilliated) rammed down our throats how they thought it was just as stiff as a boxxer, and had more advantages...

So logically....

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Jm_ said:
Two reasons: The bikes are designed around longer travel forks (8") and the team is Rockshox sponsored (they'll run 8" boxxers when they arrive)...

Besides, they're running the breakout plus on their flagship 7" bike (and have for two years running)... I'd say the vote of confidence is there. So I'm not really sure what sheiss you hope to stir up. Better luck next time.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Jm_ said:
well, I just find it suprising given how much the IH guys (and anyone affilliated) rammed down our throats how they thought it was just as stiff as a boxxer, and had more advantages...

So logically....
Yeah. I definitly see your point. Maybe the bike is designed around a fork with a longer axel-crown? I don't know about breakout + vs. 8 inch boxxer, but I would assume the boxxer is a bit more.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
as for the forks there is still the fact that the new boxxers do have one more inch of travel now than the slider. that is probibly one of the biggest issues. one other note that is that the new boxxer has new lower, crowns, and most like a little to a lot of internal work. so the new boxxers are probibly way better than anything that we have ever seen before in a boxxer! we will have to see though.

btw i don't know how good a u-turn boxxer is going to be because the u-turn never seemed to work so well for me

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ohio said:
Two reasons: The bikes are designed around longer travel forks (8") and the team is Rockshox sponsored (they'll run 8" boxxers when they arrive)...

Besides, they're running the breakout plus on their flagship 7" bike (and have for two years running)... I'd say the vote of confidence is there. So I'm not really sure what sheiss you hope to stir up. Better luck next time.
Hey, Ohio's back!

And those bikes look really sweet...any pricepoints or final geometry #s?

MD

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ohio said:
Uh, they were designed around 7" forks for 2003 and 2004, so your answer doesn't quite add up, especially for 2004. I guess manitou and rockshox never figured out till 2005 what marzocchi had in 2001, that 8" was going to be a standard for DH forks :D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
MikeD said:
Hey, Ohio's back!
Sorta...

Just a brief pause at the tail end of my 6 month world tour. But I can always find time to fling some poo back at Jm_.

Unfortunately, I have to settle down and start real life next week.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Jm_ said:
Uh, they were designed around 7" forks for 2003 and 2004
Are we talking about the same 2005 model 8" DH frame? Because I thought we were. I'm also pretty sure that IH knew at the time they specced final geometry (long before that, in fact) that the DH bikes would be running 8" travel forks.

It would be one thing if they WEREN'T running the Breakout+ anywhere in the product line. But they are.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ohio said:
Are we talking about the same 2005 model 8" DH frame? Because I thought we were. I'm also pretty sure that IH knew at the time they specced final geometry (long before that, in fact) that the DH bikes would be running 8" travel forks.

It would be one thing if they WEREN'T running the Breakout+ anywhere in the product line. But they are.
Actually, Im just talking about the lack of the 7" single crown that we heard was "all that" for DH racing, we heard it in 2003, but when it was reased in 2004 it did't make it to the DH bike...why?

They weren't running 8" forks in 2004, given how much we heard about 7" single crown 1.5 forks, about them being stiffer than boxxers, lighter, etc, you would have thought it would be a no-brainer to see them on the 2004 bikes right?

Heck, the breakout+ probably gives the same axle to crown as an 8" fork, and I don't see how they can go from "all that" for DH racing to sh*t in one year, so notwithstanding it definitely wouldn't be out of place on the 2005 bike either, that is unless all that stuff we heard about how great it was was just BS.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jm_ said:
Actually, Im just talking about the lack of the 7" single crown that we heard was "all that" for DH racing, we heard it in 2003, but when it was reased in 2004 it did't make it to the DH bike...why?

They weren't running 8" forks in 2004, given how much we heard about 7" single crown 1.5 forks, about them being stiffer than boxxers, lighter, etc, you would have thought it would be a no-brainer to see them on the 2004 bikes right?
Although some of us weight-weenie Internet freaks thought that a 7" SC would be an awesome DH fork, was the Breakout+ ever actually marketed as a DH fork? I thought the Shermans were all marketed as freeride forks (whatever that means) and are thus appropriately spec'd on the freeride bikes.

MD

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
MikeD said:
Although some of us weight-weenie Internet freaks thought that a 7" SC would be an awesome DH fork, was the Breakout+ ever actually marketed as a DH fork? I thought the Shermans were all marketed as freeride forks (whatever that means) and are thus appropriately spec'd on the freeride bikes.

MD

oohh oohh oohh!! I can answer this one;

DW has specifically stated that the firefly and flick are not meant to take the same abuse as the breakout plus, in fact he may have specifically stated that it was a DH fork, I have an idea about the thread so I may be able to find it!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jm_ said:
oohh oohh oohh!! I can answer this one;

DW has specifically stated that the firefly and flick are not meant to take the same abuse as the breakout plus, in fact he may have specifically stated that it was a DH fork, I have an idea about the thread so I may be able to find it!
But again, *outside of us Internet freaks*, who speak to DW (who's not a Manitou rep or marketing agent) directly, was it ever presented by Manitou as a DH fork?

It's got travel adjustment, doesn't it? That doesn't scream "DH race me!" to me. Would I do it? Sure, but I'm a little wierd. As are we all...

MD

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
well, ska todd was telling us how great of a race fork it was as well, im not just trying to pin this on one guy, but seriously, how much was it rammed down our throats that the slider+ would make a great DH fork, was stiff, etc..why wouldn't it get put on the 2004 bike?

dw said:
Seeing as this (the Flick/Firefly 150mm) is intended as a long travel enduro bike fork, the 1.125 steerer makes sense. It is intended more for 26-28 lb 6 inch travel XC/ trail bikes. It is not a hucker fork.

The bottom line is that this fork was not intended to, and will most likely not take the same abuse as the 1.5 version (breakout+), and furthermore, if they wanted to build a 1.125 version that did take the same abuse as the 1.5 fork, it would end up being much heavier.

But im sure you knew that already and were just trying to start sh!t.

dw
So that quote definitely is building up the 1.5, by logic you could say that the breakout+ is a "hucker fork".

And yeah, I'm still starting sh*t! :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jm_ said:
well, ska todd was telling us how great of a race fork it was as well,
You're taking comments passed by one or two industry guys in the relative privacy of conversation (yeah, it's the Internet, but they're speaking to a certain audience in here) and extending them to the mass-marketing of the fork.

They probably do think it's a great race fork, and it probably is...that doesn't change the fact that Manitou hasn't marketed it as such to the public. All the Sherman ads feature freeriders and north shore stuff, not sponsored racers ripping it up on singlecrowns.

MD

Turley

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Queensland, Australia
Guys, I don't think it is matter of which fork is better for DH in this application. The Madcatz Ironhorse team is sponsored by SRAM/Rockshox, because of this I assume that in the deal for the race teams support ironhorse is required to stock most of there bike up with Sram products which included boxxers. And as much as the boys at IH and e13 might like the breakout+, IH is running a business and in the end the boxxer does work as well and you get the bonus of the Sram range for cheaper + full race support I think the decision is obvious.

It basically means we get sweet bikes at cheap prices that if you want to change to a 1.5 single crown you can!

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
Are IH bikes made in the same factory as santa cruz ones? because they definately look similar.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Jm_ said:
stuff about the break out+
I think it would more come down to the fact that manitou probably wouldn't warrenty the breakout+ on a DH race bike so they couldn't spec them even if they wanted too.

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
Jm_ said:

Maybe because if someone sees a sc on a dh bike they have second thoughts about it (it just doesn't look as strong etc.)
Also, which other manufacturer has a sherman on their dh bike? I don't know of any, so there is probably is a reason why Ironhorse don't either.
Lastly, you're just whingeing because you want a Sunday but hate the boxxer, right? ;)

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
davod said:
Maybe because if someone sees a sc on a dh bike they have second thoughts about it (it just doesn't look as strong etc.)
Also, which other manufacturer has a sherman on their dh bike? I don't know of any, so there is probably is a reason why Ironhorse don't either.
Lastly, you're just whingeing because you want a Sunday but hate the boxxer, right? ;)

the giant DH comp?

bEttEs

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
belgium
What kind of voodoo are DW and ska todd pulling on us? Just looking at those sunday bikes makes me want to go out and buy one... And guess what I am not a dh rider at all... Buying a Dh bike like this to hang on the wall would be quite stupid, but I want to do it so bad :dead:

greetz
bettes

ps: sumarized: Holy crapola batman, great looking rides

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Can we also take a step back here, Jm, and recognize that ska todd and DW do NOT make all of the final decisions for Iron Horse bikes?

There's a lot more at work than the personal preferences of a couple guys who happen to be associated with the company. Contracts, marketing, public appeal, they all play a big role. Why spec a controversial fork on a flagship DH races bike if it might mean fewer sales? What if they have a multi-year contract on RockShox products to get a lower price point? Lord knows that Iron Horse has managed to cater high quality goods to a lower pricepoint than most other companies out there.

As ohio pointed out, their flagship freeride bike has been sporting Breakouts for a while now, that points to me that at least someone likes it...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
ohio said:

Thank You Mark!
How the hell have you been bro? Good to see you back.

See JM, this is what happens when you pay attention!