Quantcast

2005 Iron Horse Pricing

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Anybody know the pricing for the Iron Horse Sunday World Cup and Team complete bikes? I know I should call supergo, and I will tomorrow, but I would like to hear from another source, if there is one. Even a ballpark range would be appreciated.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
hey. if noone replies to this thread and you find out from supergo tomorow could you post up what they tell you. i have also been interested in hearing some prices on those 2 models.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
DHracer1067 said:
hey. if noone replies to this thread and you find out from supergo tomorow could you post up what they tell you. i have also been interested in hearing some prices on those 2 models.
Will do.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I found a site that had prices but it was in some foreign language...I'll see if I can dig it up...

Not sure if the prices are actually in USD but here ya go clicky

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
im hoping those prices are in canadian dollars. then the sunday team would only be like 2800 bucks. i thought i heard somewhere that the models were going to be similarly priced to last years models so the world cup would have been around like 3000 or whatever supergo charges for the world cup right now.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
.:Jeenyus:. said:
I found a site that had prices but it was in some foreign language...I'll see if I can dig it up...

Not sure if the prices are actually in USD but here ya go clicky
Definitely in US dollars. However, it's a Russian company, so the prices may be different due to foreign taxes and import fees, etc.

Sunday Team: $3636

Sunday World Cup: $4786

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Pricing for all models will be announced at Interbike. Sunday World Cup pricing will be approx $5000 USD.

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
zedro said:
ackkk...so much for the budget minded rider/racer :(
The Sunday World Cup is as the name suggests a WORLD CUP LEVEL RACE BIKE!! It is within the range of competitors' top end DH bikes. This is what premium product costs for 2005.

If you want budget then I'd steer towards a Yakuza Kumicho at the $2000 range.

-ska todd

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
ska todd said:
The Sunday World Cup is as the name suggests a WORLD CUP LEVEL RACE BIKE!! It is within the range of competitors' top end DH bikes. This is what premium product costs for 2005.

If you want budget then I'd steer towards a Yakuza Kumicho at the $2000 range.

-ska todd
So the top of the line bike you were selling last year for significantly less wasn't capable of competing at the world cup level??? I thought previous years models were a great value and offered some features that were enough to warrant purchasing one. I still feel the same about the Sunday bikes minus the value part. The Yakuza Kumicho just doesn't have the chi chi factor it's big brother has while retaining the value element. I was really hoping that IH would find itself with a new line of DW link bikes being direct replacements for the SGS series and the Lower end bikes being a capable sub-budget priced line for beginners and such. Like you said I guess there is a differance between dreaming and hoping.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The price hike seems reasonable to me. The SGS bikes were heavy, warmed over FSR bikes with great components. The "value" had to come from somewhere and it was the frame in that case. The Sunday is a lightweight, proprietary platform still covered with the same level of parts but now the frame (and related development costs) is more expensive.

IH has done their homework to produce what looks to be a great DH platform. If the quality is there, why shouldn't they charge prices which are similar to santa cruz, yeti etc?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It's not like retail prices mean much for IH anyway... just wait for Supergo to start blowing them out and undercutting all the LBS's :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dan-o said:
The price hike seems reasonable to me. The SGS bikes were heavy, warmed over FSR bikes with great components. The "value" had to come from somewhere and it was the frame in that case. The Sunday is a lightweight, proprietary platform still covered with the same level of parts but now the frame (and related development costs) is more expensive.

IH has done their homework to produce what looks to be a great DH platform. If the quality is there, why shouldn't they charge prices which are similar to santa cruz, yeti etc?

uhm.......because 5000 dollars for any bike is insane maybe

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
biggins said:
uhm.......because 5000 dollars for any bike is insane maybe
That's what the Giant DH Team, GT DHi, and Spec. Demo 9 are going for in their top-line complete form, and it's what you could expect to pay to build a DHR, M3, or DH-9/303 with similar parts.

I agree with dan-o about the SGS -- it's "just" a FSR, and if you've noticed lately, the FSR is dead, dethroned by virtual pivots. And it's dead for a reason. This bike is better, and its cost reflects that....

I do wish the SGS could continue on, it filled a great niche as a good-performing, cheap-ass bike. I don't know for sure if the cheap singlepivot the IH is bringing out this year will fill that spot as well.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Kornphlake said:
So the top of the line bike you were selling last year for significantly less wasn't capable of competing at the world cup level??? I thought previous years models were a great value and offered some features that were enough to warrant purchasing one. I still feel the same about the Sunday bikes minus the value part. The Yakuza Kumicho just doesn't have the chi chi factor it's big brother has while retaining the value element. I was really hoping that IH would find itself with a new line of DW link bikes being direct replacements for the SGS series and the Lower end bikes being a capable sub-budget priced line for beginners and such. Like you said I guess there is a differance between dreaming and hoping.
There is no way at this time to build dw-link bikes to match the same price points as the 04 SGS models. This is due to increased production costs (materials, freight, parts, etc) and because all of the 05 dw-link models are designed from the ground up.

While the 04 SGS-DH World Cup was one hell of a package (and a steal of a price), you can't directly compare it to the Sunday in terms of performance or price since there are so many factors at work.

Remember the MSRP of the SGS-DH WC was $4200. Overall the Sunday WC is $800 more but that includes new technology, better components, and the increased costs of parts, materials, etc.

-ska todd

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
DßR said:
That's what the Giant DH Team, GT DHi, and Spec. Demo 9 are going for in their top-line complete form, and it's what you could expect to pay to build a DHR, M3, or DH-9/303 with similar parts.

I agree with dan-o about the SGS -- it's "just" a FSR, and if you've noticed lately, the FSR is dead, dethroned by virtual pivots. And it's dead for a reason. This bike is better, and its cost reflects that....

I do wish the SGS could continue on, it filled a great niche as a good-performing, cheap-ass bike. I don't know for sure if the cheap singlepivot the IH is bringing out this year will fill that spot as well.

sorry man, my sgs is about to snap and i dont have a few grand to drop on a new iron horse frame (iron horse rules the planet so thats all i really want to ride as far as big bikes go) im just generally fed up with the cost of dh rigs. its gotten out of control. all this technology and everything is cool but manufacturers have to remember that it is still a bike. I dont make 40, 50, 60 thousand dollars a year like a lot of folks that simply thow daoen the money for the newest technology have but i still suffer just because there are people that can pay that much for a bike. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
DßR said:
thats Norco's niche, and very comparable bikes at that. At least they're dirt cheap here.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
biggins said:
sorry man, my sgs is about to snap and i dont have a few grand to drop on a new iron horse frame (iron horse rules the planet so thats all i really want to ride as far as big bikes go) im just generally fed up with the cost of dh rigs. its gotten out of control. all this technology and everything is cool but manufacturers have to remember that it is still a bike. I dont make 40, 50, 60 thousand dollars a year like a lot of folks that simply thow daoen the money for the newest technology have but i still suffer just because there are people that can pay that much for a bike. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

Whos says you have to buy new or pay retail. Killer deals can be had on used bikes. I just put together a '02 DHR for my GF. We spent less than $1500 complete with a pretty nice build.
Have you seen how little you can get an old style v10 for? Same technology

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
biggins said:
all this technology and everything is cool but manufacturers have to remember that it is still a bike. I dont make 40, 50, 60 thousand dollars a year like a lot of folks that simply thow daoen the money for the newest technology have but i still suffer just because there are people that can pay that much for a bike.
Consumers also have to remember that collectively as manufacturers we don't make 40, 50, 60 thousand DH bikes a year. If we did I'm sure you would see prices a bit lower across the than board from mfgrs. This is a small business working on small margins. If the companies are going to keep making DH/FR bikes there has to be at least some financial incentive to do so. While we all love riding/racing, companies are in business to make money, not for charity.

-ska todd

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ska todd said:
Consumers also have to remember that collectively as manufacturers we don't make 40, 50, 60 thousand DH bikes a year. If we did I'm sure you would see prices a bit lower across the than board from mfgrs. This is a small business working on small margins. If the companies are going to keep making DH/FR bikes there has to be at least some financial incentive to do so. While we all love riding/racing, companies are in business to make money, not for charity.

-ska todd
im not doggin on ya man. i understand completely that ya'll bust your ass to make some awesome bikes, im just frustrated right now cause i have no idea what im gonna do about a big bike. oh well.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
buildyourown said:
Whos says you have to buy new or pay retail. Killer deals can be had on used bikes. I just put together a '02 DHR for my GF. We spent less than $1500 complete with a pretty nice build.
Have you seen how little you can get an old style v10 for? Same technology

a v10 would be real cool. i just prefer to stay with IH cause they are very accessible as compared to other companies.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ska todd said:

-ska todd

got any older model used frames layin around you wanna sell for cheap? ;) :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
sorry man, my sgs is about to snap and i dont have a few grand to drop on a new iron horse frame (iron horse rules the planet so thats all i really want to ride as far as big bikes go) im just generally fed up with the cost of dh rigs. its gotten out of control. all this technology and everything is cool but manufacturers have to remember that it is still a bike. I dont make 40, 50, 60 thousand dollars a year like a lot of folks that simply thow daoen the money for the newest technology have but i still suffer just because there are people that can pay that much for a bike.
So, why are you looking at top of the line, world cup bikes?

Don't complain that you can't own a car just because you're looking at the sticker price of a Porsche.

A Bullit has 1" less travel than the Sunday frame. The single pivot Yakuza DH bike has the same travel as the Sunday frame. Both for a LOT less coin. Are they as nice as the Sunday frame? Nope. But you can't expect them to be, for the money.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I think I understand where biggins is coming from. (at least I hope). All these new frames and designs are great. Fine...they need to be expensive to cover the many costs and complications. But why eliminate the mid range, and better yet why force us broke folks to buy single pivots. Instead of making the 'cheap' model a single pivot why not leave it as the cheap sgs. Specialized has almost done this too by leaving one option on the bighit (and how long will it be available). Fsr might be dead to the e-engineers but it did the job better than a SP and fairly cheap.

All these new and expensive frames have their place (of course) but removing the option for a good frame (I hate how single pivots ride) and forcing people into boutique pricing or the many variations of single pivots is pretty frustrating...

Crap, I might end up having to buy norco....bleh...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
biggins said:
got any older model used frames layin around you wanna sell for cheap? ;) :D
There are some frame kits still available. We ordered some extras b/c we were well aware that there would be a gap in the market between 04 & 05 product.

Also, don't count out the Kumicho bike. While a singlepivot bike w/ a floater it quite the capable bike. Look at all the riders out there who slay it on a singlepivot bike (Peaty, Cedric, etc).

Roasted said:
All these new and expensive frames have their place (of course) but removing the option for a good frame (I hate how single pivots ride) and forcing people into boutique pricing or the many variations of single pivots is pretty frustrating...
Just b/c you don't like single pivot bikes does not make them bad. Single pivot bikes can be tuned by mfgrs to suit the characteristics they need. The Kumicho is designed to feel as good (if not better) than an SGS-DH. That was one of the design requirements from the start for the bike! Overall the Kumicho frame is lighter and stiffer than an SGS while also being cheaper and easier to produce. If you compare a Kumicho spec to spec with an 04 SGS-DH Pro you are not really losing a lot in spec but the bike will retail for $400 less, even with the increased price of materials and parts!

-ska todd