Quantcast

2005 Long Travel Single Crown Forks

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Update:

I have since sent my '05 Breakout Plus back to Manitou for warranty service, and it came back in much better condition than when it left. It does not have the sticky feeling anymore, and it feels like a completely different fork. Whatever they did to it, it worked.

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
i just put the 66rc with 170mm travel on my bullit today. it looks and feels awsome. the weight doen't feel to bad, but than again it replaced a 04 dirt jumper 2 with 150mm travel. check out the pic.

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
did a few rides and feels great. the smoothness of the fork is outstanding. the damping really works and can be felt. it did slackin out the bullit a bit, but am going to change the shock mount to steepen the head angle. will give a better report in a few weeks after some real riding. and better pics.

Pushi

Chimp
Apr 14, 2005
I've been running some 66rc's on a Sinister R9 Down here in Oz. They dropped the crown height 10mm from 888's and not having the top crown dropped the bars 12mm. They weighed only 36 grams lighter than the 888's (due to the steerer)..... psychologically they are heaps lighter..

On the trails down here, they feel great on straight on hits, tight cornering and flowy stuff, but i really felt a difference on off camber runs. That's where they struggled, they are awesome for racing alot of the trails here but it's easier to slam when u have a tank slapper... (a comprimise to being able to tweak the bars more when jumpimg)..all in all though, i love them.

mtb geek

Chimp
Jan 28, 2005
I got a Marzocchi 66 and it is the sweetest thing ever. It's realy adjustible and responds to only upwards movment. so if you doing downhill of xtreme freeride it's perfect. It has 200mm of travel and is 25.21'' form the axel to crown. Seriously think about it

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
mtb geek said:
I got a Marzocchi 66 and it is the sweetest thing ever. It's realy adjustible and responds to only upwards movment. so if you doing downhill of xtreme freeride it's perfect. It has 200mm of travel and is 25.21'' form the axel to crown. Seriously think about it

whoa there, you sure about that height? I was under the impression it was more around 23.5?

200mm travel? hmm.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
mtb geek said:
It has 200mm of travel and is 25.21'' form the axel to crown. Seriously think about it
Um, unless you've got some kind of special fork, seriously think about measuring again.

The axle to crown dimension seems way too high and the 66 does not have 200mm of travel. An 8" 888 with stock (tall) crowns is 23.5". Every report I've read says that with the 66 you lose an inch of travel and end up at around the same AC, the difference being taken up by the beefier crown on the 66.

Are you measuring actual travel with a zip tie or something or are you just taking the distance between the wiper and the top of the stancion?

Manitou has a new 200mm single crown called Travis that they showed at Sea Otter. It's a 1.5 and is the only 200mm SC out there as far as I know and it's not available to public yet.

Hmm, I guess if you do have a 200mm 66, it could have an AC that long...but I don't think so.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
What the hell kinda name is Travis??? When I saw that thing I was like WTF? Especially because it looks just like any other Sherman but with black stanchions. The decals are FUGLY too. Oh well a 200mm SC is pretty nuts I guess, still not sure how I feel about that...

Frank Black

Chimp
Apr 21, 2005
If you get your LBS to get you a RA number you could drop off your fork, they might not be able to fix it right then, but they would ship it back to the shop and you could pick it up, free of shipping charges. Also the shipping you have to pay when your fork breaks, would apply to every fork maker. The LBS has to box it, ship it, and it takes them time, and cost's them money, they generaly dont make anything on the shipping.

Manitou's do have problems, less than rock shocks, but marzocchi, have always been bullet proof.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
the travis makes me nervous. isn't 200mm single crown kind of over the top and the name travis is even worse then nixion or sherman

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
How's everyone liking those Pikes...? Still holding up/feeling good? Any issues?

MD

aidanwray

Chimp
May 16, 2005
UK
MikeD said:
How's everyone liking those Pikes...? Still holding up/feeling good? Any issues?

MD
yup, any problems as of yet?

im about to order a set in the next couple of days, would be nice to know of any problems

PRELOADED

Chimp
Sep 15, 2002
Rhode Island, USA
MikeD said:

MD
So far - so good - the fork feels pretty darn good - had it (Pike Team) out for a 20 mile technical east coast ride Sunday- and I hardly noticed it (which is a good thing) - I will say that my 05 Sherman firefly is a nicer riding fork - but lacks the range of travel adjustability - and is only marginally better ride...

1) 66RC
2) 150mm/170mm(current)
3) 6.6lb.s
4) 23.5"(rumor/didn't actually measure)
5) 1.125" steel steerer, w/super thick aluminum insert
6) Compession & Rebound ajustable MX cartridges(30 clicks each), exturnal air pre-load(0-15psi)
7) 20mm "dedicated" axle
8) 35mm Tapered Alloy(black anodized) stancions

The most impressive part for me was that w/the stock springs, and only 15psi of preload air-pressure(the max recomended), I(270 lbs), have only used about 5.5"(140mm out of 170)!!!

Another impressive poimt, was that this fork ovalized the H-tube of a frame that heldup fine to a monster-t!!!

I also couldn't believe how effective the comp/rebnd. ajusters were(as oppossed to some other forks, in which ten turns has no effect)!!!

also, the marketing of this fork, makes it seem as if which ever travle you purchase, you are stuck with(or would be diff./expnsv. to change), but is infact very easy(if you're familliar with working on forks) to change!!!

It is also surrprising, the rate of detail Marzocchi goes to by shipping the forks in these nice "felt-lined" padded bags!!!

About the only thing that would make me trade this fork in(which I wish they would come out with), is the: "MONSTER-SingleCrown"!!!!!