Quantcast

2006 Foes FXR

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
ohio said:
Actually, fewer coils is a HIGHER spring rate.
Not necessarily, the rate depends (mainly) on the pitch and thickness of the wire. Since Foes bikes run lower leverage ratios AND because they utilize such large internal diameters on their shocks, they can use a more open coil system to acheive the same spring rates. So you're both sort of right. The springs can be ran softer, but they use a more open coil with a higher pitch to create a stiffer rate.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Kanter said:
Is the 06 Fly any different?

What colors are they offering on their bikes now?
I believe the Fly is getting some minor changes, the top tube (and, resultingly, the wheelbase as well) should be getting about an inch shorter. Colors are still black, red, and silver I think, except for the FXR 4X, which is red only.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
James | Go-Ride said:
Not necessarily, the rate depends (mainly) on the pitch and thickness of the wire.
Uh, yeah. It was sort of assumed that all other things remain constant... next time I'll be sure to explain that all the following are variables in designed a spring and any of them can either raise or lower the spring rate:
-Material
-Length
-Wire thickness
-Coil diameter
-Pitch/number of coils

No we're not both right. I'm right and he's wrong. If you have two springs that are the same except one has fewer coils (which was the original question), the spring will be stiffer (which was the opposite of the answer given).

That's not to say that the spring on that bike is any higher rate than on any other bike... obviously it should and can be a very light spring rate.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
any update on this?

how much burlier is the 4X version from the more longer travel version? would the longer travel one be tough enough for bike park use?

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I've really been digging my '05 FXR from Go-Ride (thanks guys!) with an '05 Z1 up front. The rear end isn't as rigid side-to-side as I hoped for a Foes (my Fly is rock solid), but it's a little better than the AC1 I had before so I can't complain. Overall I really like it, though I have to say that '06 looks even cooler...

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
dropmachine.com said:
Wouldn't the use of a really big ass coil like those have result in one seirously heavy shock? Unless it was Ti, of course...

The springs are actually pretty light, they use a wide ass spacing on the whined so they end up with about the same amount of metal as the normal shock, plus the spring rates on the 2:1s are super low.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
April MBA has a review on the 5" version and it appears they like it.....not that thier opinion is allways good but interesting. My deposit was applied 2 weeks ago and tomorrow the remaining funds will be transferred....couple of weeks my red, medium, with Ti XTD in 6" will be hittin the trail:weee: :wave: Kind of thinkin a zoki AM SL may find it's way to the front:thumb: :evil:

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
has anybody put some real test on this bike yet??, im considering as my next trailbike and I have to make up my mind soon...:) :) , how does it pedals, etc, etc..???, is it flexy..??any interesting info?cheers:rofl:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
banrider said:
has anybody put some real test on this bike yet??, im considering as my next trailbike and I have to make up my mind soon...:) :) , how does it pedals, etc, etc..???, is it flexy..??any interesting info?cheers:rofl:
Repost with pic attached.

Finally got mine, has 2 rides (about 3.5 + hours) on it. The shock takes time to break in so is a little sticky at first getting real nice already. Strangely pedals like a hardtail, but you can look down and see the shock moving to the terrain but not your leg input, zero biopace. Get on the pedals and it goes forward now, it's amazing. There is no flex, it sort of feels like a DH frame in that respect. I will post more after the weekend.

Attachments

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I sure wish Zoke would have picked a better color for that fork.

Nice build. What did it weigh in at?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
evilbob said:
Repost with pic attached.

Finally got mine, has 2 rides (about 3.5 + hours) on it. The shock takes time to break in so is a little sticky at first getting real nice already. Strangely pedals like a hardtail, but you can look down and see the shock moving to the terrain but not your leg input, zero biopace. Get on the pedals and it goes forward now, it's amazing. There is no flex, it sort of feels like a DH frame in that respect. I will post more after the weekend.
Let us know. I found the older generation curnut shocks to be very harsh at speed and through rough terrain. It didn't bob, but it also didn't suspend very well. I'd be interested in if the bike gets any better, or if it remains harsh.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Jm_ said:
Let us know. I found the older generation curnut shocks to be very harsh at speed and through rough terrain. It didn't bob, but it also didn't suspend very well. I'd be interested in if the bike gets any better, or if it remains harsh.
How weird, was it properly set up? My fly smooths out the faster you go.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
One downside of the 2:1 ratio is less leverage ot overcome stiction in the shock. Let us know how that shapes up as it breaks in. Mitch at foes said Mono's are 2 weeks out. We have two coming in at the shop, one is for me.