Quantcast

2008 MSC race series up

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
Wheeler brought up a good point about the G-3 points. The combined time is a bit hard to swallow after you figure in the spread some of these guys can accomplish. Its tough to make up 3 min. (if mike had a bad run) let alone the punishment he can put on you when he gets in the groove. With a great time in the SD you could sit and watch the final DH and still win by minutes. Hope that guy aint 35 yet.

Since the MSC website is being reworked I wanted to see if anyone knew what the typical race weekend schedule is. I'm going to be at the Snowmass race and will be there the week leading into the race weekend. When does practice start - Friday?? Assuming that MX is on Saturday and DH on Sunday. Does anyone know if Snowmass runs there lifts in the summer?

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
This summer is going to kick arse. I feel bad for everyone who doesn't live in Colorado. :nopity:

Thanks Mike (and BF crew) for all your hard work and for your perseverance to overcome the challenges of 2007. :cheers:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Since the MSC website is being reworked I wanted to see if anyone knew what the typical race weekend schedule is. I'm going to be at the Snowmass race and will be there the week leading into the race weekend. When does practice start - Friday?? Assuming that MX is on Saturday and DH on Sunday. Does anyone know if Snowmass runs there lifts in the summer?
"Typical" race weekend will depend on what disciplines are being raced that weekend, but for the couple of races that have XC, DH, MX, and Super D it goes something like this:
  1. Practice DH during day on Friday with practice times split according to class
  2. Couple of hours of 4X practice Friday late afternoon
  3. Short 4X Practice Sat morning followed by 4X qualifying
  4. DH practice Sat late morning and afternoon, split by classes
  5. 4X finals late Sat afternoon/early evening
  6. Super D practice late Sat afternoon
  7. short DH/Super D practice session Sunday morning
  8. Pro DH qualifying Sunday morning
  9. DH finals starting later morning and ran junior beg/sport on up in order of age and class
Snowmass runs a LOWER lift in the summer that does not give access to the race track, or at least that has been the case for last few years.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
"Typical" race weekend will depend on what disciplines are being raced that weekend, but for the couple of races that have XC, DH, MX, and Super D it goes something like t4s.
any word on 4x and dh points together ?

total conformation of vet pro class?

i miss msc forums.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
- Vet Pro: confirmed. 35+ and open to pro and amateur riders.

- Separation of gated and DH: the gravity title will remain combined, but we'll track points separately, but unofficially if it makes you guys happy. There will be no awards issued for winning the DH series or the gated series - it's strictly for bragging rights and your individual sponsorship proposals.

- Snowmass DH: it'll be longer and will have a few more wooded sections

- Angel Fire: nobody brought this up, but it's going to be friggin' huge. Unfortunately, it'll also remain a C2 event. Seems that the UCI still harbors some ill will towards the resort folks for having the audacity to turn down a World Cup stop there in 2007. Nevermind that the UCI allowed the public to know that they'd been 'awarded' a World Cup before the AFR folks (when I told them they were like, "what?!?!"). Also nevermind that Angel Fire lost their shirt to the tune of 6-figures at their last World Cup. Bottom line? The UCI is feeling pissy and petty and refuses to grant our AFR event C1 status (even though they certified it as capable of hosting a World Cup in 2007.) I don't think that they realize how immature this makes them look. As the international governing body of our sport I don't think that we're out of line in expecting them to take the higher road.

- SolVista 1: Matt T says that we will have a DH there the first time we visit. We may add a Super-D if Matt thinks it can be done. Some of you may need to sharpen your track-licking skills. This race WILL conflict with the Teva Games.

- Telluride: will be state championships for DH, XC and SD. It will also conflict with Colorado Crankworx. There's a decent thread hiding in the Teva Games thread in the Colorado forums. Head there for more info. Snowmass will host 4X state championships.

- CB: book lodging NOW if you're planning on going. It's going to be tight with the Fat Tire Festival and Ride the Rockies in town. Also, bring a townie. The chainless DH/drunkfest should be on your list of things to do...

- CJ Timing will be timing ALL of Bigfoot's gravity events

- Tom Neer (Shawn's dad) is building a registration system for us that will track all your info in a database. "Big deal" you say? That database will fill out all your entry forms and waivers for you on site. You'll just need to sign 'em.

Anything that I missed?

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Oh yeah, a website update.

I posted this earlier: Evan's working on it. It's a pretty big project that entails migrating our forums to a newer, more secure system (the same one we're on now as a matter of fact), incorporating a strong database in the back-end, dovetailing that with historical results and rankings and making sure those 2 DB's play nice with each other, incorporating our online registration vendor so the transition is seamless and on top of all that, updating the look and feel.

It'll come back online in bits and pieces, but I think that you can plan on seeing phase one by the weekend. For now there's s schedule there. I know that's lame, but it is what it is.

So sayeth the shepherd...

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
Is deadatbirth banned? His post is gone and I can't find him anywhere. Anyone else from the east coast going?

Mike this is gonna be an awesome year. How many events will be dropped/counted for the overalls in each category? Will pro and semi be split for gated racing this year? Thanks for busting your @$$ for us and the benefit of American racing, you guys rock!

BTW thank god for CJ coming on for the whole year!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Filling out the same information three times at every race registration is one of the most annoying things in my life, praise be to the lord and bigfoot for fixing that.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Probably 3 drops for the official "MSC Gravity" series and 1 for the unofficial "DH" and "Gated" series. And yeah, Pro and Semi-Pro will once again be split. The fields are big enough that it really makes sense, still gives us 32-man (and sometimes 64) fields and by mutual agreeent, makes a better racing experience for all.

And CJ Timing? They've been awesome.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, what's it take for a course to "qualify" for the MSC? I'm basically ignorant to all the politics and regs behind racing, but a former MSC racer(I think he raced pro) designed and built the course, it's in Rapid City South Dakota, it's loose, steep, and fast: 45mph at the finish line. It's kinda short right now, but we're all kinda working on it. I think it's worthy. After racing Crested Butte and then this course a week after...this course kicks ass! Just wouldn't mind adding a few new places to race, not to mention how much that would BOOST the scene around here!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
How old are you, BCD?? I was under the impression you were a young'n!
racing age is 35, i'm just in time for vet pro.

i got my first mtb and was a NORBA when i was 14.

i never raced BMX as a kid. i'm one of those pure D mtb

racers.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Huh. I'm 35 and I don't really sweat the age thing anymore. 29-34 SUCKED, now I'm over it. For some reason I just had you pegged as one of those younger, smart guys. Now I know you're just aged and wisdomish. :=
So this Vet Pro thing... it's basically the class that ALL riders of "that" age race in, or you choose it or what up? Doesn't matter if you race pro, sport, am, whatever?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Huh. I'm 35 and I don't really sweat the age thing anymore. 29-34 SUCKED, now I'm over it. For some reason I just had you pegged as one of those younger, smart guys. Now I know you're just aged and wisdomish. :=
So this Vet Pro thing... it's basically the class that ALL riders of "that" age race in, or you choose it or what up? Doesn't matter if you race pro, sport, am, whatever?

nope, any one who wants there over 35 class.
but generally its will be all us old pro-semi guys who
don't like risking our necks anymore like the 20's kids.
riders from g3's jedi class

THOMPSON Matthew
HAMILTON Gene
COOPERMAN Troy
WEINMAN Daniel
GILLESPIE James
BADEN Joshua
WILDERMAN Wade
DARNER Keith
POTTER Aaron
GARCIA Robert
GILBERT Damon
BOURDREAUX Christopher aka DOC

and i could see like like 5 or more coming in this year

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
- Vet Pro: confirmed. 35+ and open to pro and amateur riders.

- Separation of gated and DH: the gravity title will remain combined,

- Tom Neer (Shawn's dad) is building a registration system for us that will track all your info in a database. "Big deal" you say? That database will fill out all your entry forms and waivers for you on site. You'll just need to sign 'em.

Anything that I missed?
the forms is a great idea, how long did that take, i have corporal tunnel.

also for vet pro gravity, will we have a 4x vet pro class? how will that work?

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Hey Thrillseeka - for right now we're planning on staying in our own backyard, but you never know. SD might be worth a look.

Alex - since Vet Pro is an 'open' category, at first glance it looks like we'll have to offer it both as a DH and Gated category. I'll have to give it some more thought.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Hey Thrillseeka - for right now we're planning on staying in our own backyard, but you never know. SD might be worth a look.

Alex - since Vet Pro is an 'open' category, at first glance it looks like we'll have to offer it both as a DH and Gated category. I'll have to give it some more thought.
or just do a overall for dh no vetpro 4x, that or throw us in with
the semipros for 4x.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Better yet, then, how about I just shoot you guys an invite when it's race time? It's soooo much more laid back than pretty much ALL of the races I've been to. They've got a pretty decent timing system set up, but anyone who wants to raise a rucus over split-seconds should consider themselves unwelcome here. This is a race for people who love the race, not the trophy. I'm not familiar with anyone in the MSC really, so I don't know who's who and who all the big cheeses are, but do any of you happen to remember Rory Zimbelman? Hopefully I spelled that right, but he's our boy here. He's still refusing to come out of "retirement" but it isn't slowing him down from pushing the sport!
Did I mention tons of swag, BEER, and music? I'd love to see some of the names in this thread show up. Good time.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
"New" info on the MSC series:

The 2008 Keystone Climax has officially been cancelled. There's an explanation on the Keystone event page, but the long and short of it is that their gondola construction project is going to create chaos all summer long (and into 2009 if my info is correct). We're working on a replacement venue we we speak. Stay tuned. They're bummed, we're bummed, you're bummed...

News about Chile Challenge:
  • It's a UCI-inscripted (C2) for DH and MX.
  • Also an NMBS for the same disciplines plus SD.
  • Automatic World's Team qualifier for Elite Men, Women and Juniors.

Oh yeah, the website is back online, and we're adding content (new and old) daily. Check back for updates.

www.racemsc.com

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
nope, any one who wants there over 35 class.
but generally its will be all us old pro-semi guys who
don't like risking our necks anymore like the 20's kids.
riders from g3's jedi class

THOMPSON Matthew
HAMILTON Gene
COOPERMAN Troy
WEINMAN Daniel
GILLESPIE James
BADEN Joshua
WILDERMAN Wade
DARNER Keith
POTTER Aaron
GARCIA Robert
GILBERT Damon
BOURDREAUX Christopher aka DOC

and i could see like like 5 or more coming in this year
I'm 36 and although I've never been a Top 10 30-39 expert racer, it seems like a cool category and alot of fun to race in. I'm out for fun now vs. trying to kill myself to win anymore. I'm just coming off back surgery and I've begun training alot for the 2008 season and plan to give it a go. I'm trying for my first season in 2 seasons to be injury free. Will VET PRO get to seed like the regular Pro's?

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Bummer about Keystone. Oh well, what can you do?

Anyway, looks like the Family and I will be moving out CO way this summer, so this series stokes me out! Thanks for all the info guys!
Hopefully, the retarded new gondola won't mess things up too much during the rest of the bike season.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
"New" info on the MSC series:

The 2007 Keystone Climax has officially been cancelled. There's an explanation on the Keystone event page, but the long and short of it is that their gondola construction project is going to create chaos all summer long (and into 2009 if my info is correct). We're working on a replacement venue we we speak. Stay tuned. They're bummed, we're bummed, you're bummed...
did you mean 2008 climax? i kinda remember racing the 2007 event

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm 36 and although I've never been a Top 10 30-39 expert racer, it seems like a cool category and alot of fun to race in. I'm out for fun now vs. trying to kill myself to win anymore. I'm just coming off back surgery and I've begun training alot for the 2008 season and plan to give it a go. I'm trying for my first season in 2 seasons to be injury free. Will VET PRO get to seed like the regular Pro's?
You were trying to win? :D

did you mean 2008 climax? i kinda remember racing the 2007 event
D'oh!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Evan, why do you have to be an arse? Yeah I was trying to Win, Apparently just like you. And neither one of us succeeded.

Can someone just answer the question. Will VET PRO get to seed just like the regular pros?
Calm down son, I was just giving you a ration of crap... Apparently it worked. :D

And I don't know the answer to your question, but if anyone consults me my recommendation would be 'NO'... as well as to do away with Semi-Pro seeding runs as well. I think it's kinda cool that we're emulating events at the WC level, we wouldn't have gotten where we are without doing so. However, where we are is growing in numbers every year, and at the core of our ridership is still the amateur rider. The rider that has to get home and go to work on Monday. The longer we push back DH finals on Sunday means the later the awards ceremony can start and finish, and the later that tired families can get on the road back to their homes. Technically, I also realize that for the most part, we won't be ADDING riders that are doing seeding runs, as most of the "Vet Pro' class will actually come from the Pro and Semi-Pro classes. But there will be some growth from the Expert 30+ classes for sure, and that's going to push back the schedule for the day. It's just too bad there's only so many daylight hours in a weekend, because seeding runs are a great perk to give to the riders that have made it that far. But there are other reasons, more compelling in my opinion, to do away with it.

I also don't feel it should have the name "vet pro" but that's simply semantics. I just find it silly that both you (Billy) AND I are both eligible to race in this new class, yet neither one of us has ever even come CLOSE (or had a shot) at holding a 'Pro' card. What it really is, is a Vet Open class. Personally, I like the name Jedi Master, but that's just me. And again, it's semantics. I don't think the parameters for being eligible to race in said class should change at all.

So that's my vote, my opinion, nothing else. I'll gladly give it if asked. And apparently even if NOT asked.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I don't know the answer to your question, but if anyone consults me my recommendation would be 'NO'... as well as to do away with Semi-Pro seeding runs as well. I think it's kinda cool that we're emulating events at the WC level, we wouldn't have gotten where we are without doing so. However, where we are is growing in numbers every year, and at the core of our ridership is still the amateur rider. The rider that has to get home and go to work on Monday. The longer we push back DH finals on Sunday means the later the awards ceremony can start and finish, and the later that tired families can get on the road back to their homes. Technically, I also realize that for the most part, we won't be ADDING riders that are doing seeding runs, as most of the "Vet Pro' class will actually come from the Pro and Semi-Pro classes. But there will be some growth from the Expert 30+ classes for sure, and that's going to push back the schedule for the day. It's just too bad there's only so many daylight hours in a weekend, because seeding runs are a great perk to give to the riders that have made it that far. But there are other reasons, more compelling in my opinion, to do away with it.

I also don't feel it should have the name "vet pro" but that's simply semantics. I just find it silly that both you (Billy) AND I are both eligible to race in this new class, yet neither one of us has ever even come CLOSE (or had a shot) at holding a 'Pro' card. What it really is, is a Vet Open class. Personally, I like the name Jedi Master, but that's just me. And again, it's semantics. I don't think the parameters for being eligible to race in said class should change at all.

So that's my vote, my opinion, nothing else. I'll gladly give it if asked. And apparently even if NOT asked.
I was just curious. Thanks for the input. I agree with your opinion about pushing back DH finals and pretty much everything else you said. The awards ceremony and all are usually late and sometimes we have to forgo awards to get on the road to get home so we can be at work the next morning. Especially for races like Telluride that are so far away. It's been a frustration as I'd like to stay to take pics of the Juniors and such that get on the Podium. Sometimes I just gotta get going to get home. I would also agree on the 'Jedi Masters' name. Me of course being from the 'Star Wars' generation and all. Maybe Mike Mac will read this and come to agree as well. I'm just down with not being as serious and having more fun and enjoying riding. Your opinion is obviously more valued than mine with the MSC People. I'm sure you have some influence. Thanks Evan! :thumb:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
please explain the bold to me. if i race XC too i can get in the open overall?

# When racing in an 'alternate' discipline you will participate in the "OPEN/OVERALL" category. In this category there are no age or ability breakdowns
# Total points from your primary disciplines, plus your secondary ones, plus any Super-D points will determine the winner in each of the 4 categories. (yes, a Sport rider could in theory win over an Expert or even a Pro).

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I've recently thought of an idea regarding DH seeding runs, and perhaps it has been thought of before, and it is somewhat similar to how seeding is done for World Championships. But what about doing seeding runs towards the end of day on Saturday after some solid practice time, then Sunday morning have the usual morning practice followed by DH Finals. This would give more people an opportunity to fine tune before their final run and give more 'race' time for more riders. This could be done with all the money classes, Pro, Semi, Vet Pro. Thoughts? Personally, I'd love to see this for Expert classes as well, but doing the Pro classes could be a start.

I've recently thought of an idea regarding DH seeding runs, and perhaps it has been thought of before, and it is somewhat similar to how seeding is done for World Championships. But what about doing seeding runs towards the end of day on Saturday after some solid practice time, then Sunday morning have the usual morning practice followed by DH Finals. This would give more people an opportunity to fine tune before their final run and give more 'race' time for more riders. This could be done with all the money classes, Pro, Semi, Vet Pro. Thoughts? Personally, I'd love to see this for Expert classes as well, but doing the Pro classes could be a start.
That sounds like a good idea but it would most likely interfere with the gated finals.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
We've also got XC and awards going on at that time. Good idea in theory, but man, are we (and the timing folks) busy at all these events.

Keep tossing ideas out though - you never know when something might just work.

Mike

godzilla

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
I think the points should be separated also. I raced DH, MX, and DS last year to see how I could do in the points. This year I am not going to bother. Racing MX is just not any fun for me. I will race DS because I enjoy that. Not racing the point series I am not going to be worried about skipping a MSC cup to go race elsewhere either. So by not separating the point series, instead of gaining a MX racer you might miss out on a racer showing up at all to some races.
I couldn't agree more, I'm in the same boat.