Quantcast

2009 gt dh ???

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
nice. wouldn't buy the first season... but nice. Well done GT.
I was thinking the same, depends what sort of warranty/crash-replacement it comes with etc. They've not got the best of track records unfortunately!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I was thinking the same, depends what sort of warranty/crash-replacement it comes with etc. They've not got the best of track records unfortunately!
The so called bad track record was discussed in here (in depth) and stemmed from GT going out of business-the new owners since (Pacific/Dorel) have gone above and beyond what they ever should have with old GT issues.

Pacific/Dorel (Cannondale Bicycle Group as it is now known) aims to be the #1 bicycle brand in the world, I believe they will do it. That being said, I will assume the warranty will be better than you know from 'old GT days'. I am no representative of GT, so take it all with a grain of salt. I used to work for them and still talk to many of my old friends at the company.

:)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
No, by track record I mean with weak frames, I'm not questioning the strength of their warranty obligations. I'm on my third swingarm at the moment, and I hear the new-style DHis fold pretty easily too.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
No, by track record I mean with weak frames, I'm not questioning the strength of their warranty obligations. I'm on my third swingarm at the moment, and I hear the new-style DHis fold pretty easily too.
Gotcha, sorry I misunderstood...I know nothing about folding.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
one reason lahars are so durable is the frame and carbon components are 100% carbon , no molded in inserts, bosses, dropouts or what ever, one of reason for this is the rates of thermal expiation of two different materials.

mr aaron knows his **** well when it comes to carbon stuff,just check out the rear axle on a lahar its insane!

any one know how the carbon GT xc and trail fullsus bikes have been holding up??

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
and that's simply because all lahars are still in aaron's shack over in NZ and get little chance to hit some rocks!
Hahahaha. I almost bought one off of him a couple of years back, I'm glad I held on to my cash... I almost bought a BCD as well... I reckont here's definitely carbon in my future. That link says it'll be available as a frameset only too, woot. Anyone have any info on when GT think they'll start shipping?

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
wow... that GT looks sick!!!! The old Jet fighter look was pretty unique but damn the they finally got some of the sexy curves in it XD

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
oh the lucrative, cut-throat world of MTB cyber-journalism :biggrin:
haha.....

and did no one bring a trick little wheel/crank stand, these are the 3rd series of pics I have seen with a piece of wood holding bike up.

We got live race coverage on the web now, how about stepping up the product photography in MTBing a little bit. ;)

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
haha.....

and did no one bring a trick little wheel/crank stand, these are the 3rd series of pics I have seen with a piece of wood holding bike up.

We got live race coverage on the web now, how about stepping up the product photography in MTBing a little bit. ;)

what website?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Personally I prefer the stick of wood approach, doesn't get in the way of what you're looking at.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
one reason lahars are so durable is the frame and carbon components are 100% carbon , no molded in inserts, bosses, dropouts or what ever, one of reason for this is the rates of thermal expiation of two different materials.

mr aaron knows his **** well when it comes to carbon stuff,just check out the rear axle on a lahar its insane!

any one know how the carbon GT xc and trail fullsus bikes have been holding up??
you can get round that by using Ti hardware, it expands at the same rate and you wont need to protect the frame from galvanic corrosion by layers of fibreglass etc

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
it looks awesome, check out the clean cable routing etc.

looks like the mainframe is floating on top of the BB

a bit of protection on the underside of the swingarm from chainslap wouldnt go amiss though

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I think that this bike looks awesome. Bravo GT for giving carbon a chance. Its pretty exciting as far as I am concerned.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
haha.....

Its called a
1. Clone Stamp
2. Patch Tool
3. Cut Paste
how many ways.......
Maybe a white drop cloth with lights ehhgh?:clapping:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Looks like it'd come out easily enough with the two bolts removed.

Honestly if that bike was for sale tomorrow I'd cancel my holiday and buy it. I love the i-drive, but my frame's a bit tired and I can't help but think I should treat myself to something new.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
that looks like an absolutely amazing bike!!
good on GT to give carbon fiber a go!
can't wait to hear how it rides!

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
You and me both my man! :biggrin:
:happydance:

The factory couldn't get bearings to fit properly in Al for years... how do you imagine they'll do sizing fits for a carbon frame?

:bonk::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Of course I'm joking. I would need to change my underwear if there were a Carbon DW.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
where are the rockets?
Hidden and Dangerous!:happydance:

I had a GT Ruckus for a while, it broke, it did ride nice before then though!:poster_oops:

Anyway, that bike looks schweeet!:biggrin:
As long as GT dont aim for the lower end of the durability scale, as they have done in the past, it should be a nice ride.:cheers:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Can anybody tell me why you all get so excited about the bike? Granted, it looks awesome! But they say it is the same weight as the old DHi with a carbon frame and with an air shock!!!! What, besides look and possible future improvements, is then the reason to go for carbon? :imstupid: