Quantcast

2009 Monster Energy - Specialized Team Bikes

syc7090

Chimp
Jan 21, 2008
hmm, can't remember where i heard/read this but isn't specialized putting on their own tires on these bikes? also remember hearing/reading that sam hill worked with specialized on the tire design and that the tires will resemble maxxis minions (what sam is used to riding).

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I have only seen the sharpe trick about twenty times or so....Thanks for the smart A remark, Richard.
only 20 times, huh....

do you live under a rock... or maybe you are blind. you did after all just call me richard and it clearly says my name is dave.

as for my "smart A" remark
did you even read the previous posts in this thread that mention the blacked out logos multiple times? Thanks for your "Dumb A" post

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Are Specialized working on dual compound like the 3Cs(internally stiffer compounds)? I think their sideknobs are to soft, and bend to easy. They do seem to stick well on the rides I've had on them.
Dave Trump, got irony, you're no better, beating your little drum. Posting without reading the thread, is annoying, but that's all that needs to be said.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
only 20 times, huh....

do you live under a rock... or maybe you are blind. you did after all just call me richard and it clearly says my name is dave.

as for my "smart A" remark
did you even read the previous posts in this thread that mention the blacked out logos multiple times? Thanks for your "Dumb A" post
You must be dense...Richard A.K.A. DICK!!!!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
You must be dense...Richard A.K.A. DICK!!!!
ummmmm.... sarcasm? ever heard of it?

you are the dense one if you think for a minute that i was unaware of your stupid little play on words. richard and dick go together as well as maxxis and sharpies at a WC race.

i would have ignored your response all together if it was not for that lame attempt at personal insult.

:clapping:
thanks for trying to keep us all on our toes with your quick wit and attention to detail

Last edited:

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
you did after all just call me richard and it clearly says my name is dave.
Wow, judging by that statement it sure didn't seem as if your comprehension was up to snuff! I guess I stand corrected. Off to the Sharks game, have a nice night Richard.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Wow, judging by that statement it sure didn't seem as if your comprehension was up to snuff! I guess I stand corrected. Off to the Sharks game, have a nice night Richard.
have a good night MORON. Frame that diploma when you get it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
haha damnit, did I just miss a sweet fight in here? I knew I should have kept tabs on this thread.

ChimChim

Chimp
Feb 4, 2009
Judging by the logo sizes and color themes it looks like SPECIALIZED is 80% of the team budget.

I could have sworn the teams bread and butter was MONSTER Energy, no?

Bikes look cool anyways.
The bikes have always had logos more toward the bike company, leaving the gear, helmets, vehicles, and tech area more Monster Energy oriented:)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The image is crooked on purpose to **** with people. Glad it is working. ;) More images and some video online this afternoon. The internet here sucks. Next week it will be better when the press center is online...hopefully.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
A couple questions - Does the team not have a tire sponsor, or is Specialized the "sponsor" and he'll just run blacked out Maxxis? If they don't have a sponsor period and he wants to run Maxxis without giving them the free publicity, great. If he's sponsored by Specialized for tires and he's running blacked out Maxxis, well that's just... business as usual. Also, when did he switch to 2350s? Or are those his show rims, and he'll have red painted 5.1s for his race run?

ianl90

Chimp
Nov 25, 2007
whats going on with the video? it says due to a high number of uploads this video will be converted in 1 minute. its been about 30 minutes and still nothing

tingers

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Video is working for me. Good video and the best pictures of those ugly ass demo's cause you can't see them.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It's working now but I am not digging it, too choppy, needs to be angled up a bit, (not bad for the first run out) and just not as good a quality as I thought it would be.

What's the deal with DH kits becoming more and more like the insanely hideous moto kits? First the TLD kits on Steve Smith and others and now the Specialized kit? In a few years you will hear arguments that these are worse for the sport than skin suits.

Not a fan.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
It's working now but I am not digging it, too choppy, needs to be angled up a bit, (not but for the first run out) and just not as good a quality as I thought it would be.

What's the deal with DH kits becoming more and more like the insanely hideous moto kits? First the TLD kits on Steve Smith and others and now the Specialized kit? In a few years you will hear arguments that these are worse for the sport than skin suits.

Not a fan.
I don't mind the DH-suits, but agreed on the vid, rubbish, looking down at toptube is a technique I have not seen yet though, and the quality is roach...my $125 canon point and shoot does better.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Head cam angles always seem too low down. Its cool to see the handle bar but I always feel like I am trying to look up and see the trail, then I realise its not me riding:busted:
I dont think there is much point in commenting about bike and clothing color schemes from a commercial point of view. In the last few years we have seen an explosion in outstanding DVD releases and quality in MTB photography. Part of a good shot is colour. Do you think Sam Hill bulleting down at warp speed wearing black on a black bike in forest casting shadows is going to look that impressive on your screen? Besides we have created this demon with all our bling parts threads. I think the manufacturers have realised we want more effort in the graphics department and expect something for our money other than just performance.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Head cam angles always seem too low down. Its cool to see the handle bar but I always feel like I am trying to look up and see the trail, then I realise its not me riding:busted:
I dont think there is much point in commenting about bike and clothing color schemes from a commercial point of view. In the last few years we have seen an explosion in outstanding DVD releases and quality in MTB photography. Part of a good shot is colour. Do you think Sam Hill bulleting down at warp speed wearing black on a black bike in forest casting shadows is going to look that impressive on your screen? Besides we have created this demon with all our bling parts threads. I think the manufacturers have realised we want more effort in the graphics department and expect something for our money other than just performance.
Case in point, even in the open, the black kit is just bland.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I appreciate that and I know that there is a huge moto influence in DH racing but I would like to see a little different style.

I understand the photo aspect as well. Some of the shots of Sam last season in the black/green suit on a rainy day in the woods were really hard to see even by the great photog's.

I'm just saying that they are too over the top and way past cheesy.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I don't mind the DH-suits, but agreed on the vid, rubbish, looking down at toptube is a technique I have not seen yet though, and the quality is roach...my $125 canon point and shoot does better.
I wonder if that was an intentional camera view, or a consequence of the Go-Pro camera. From what I've seen there isn't a live view on that camera and you can't review captured video on the camera, so your aiming is off, you won't know until you download it.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I think freeride and DH exploded in the past few years. When you look at DVDs today you can see how freeride is no longer just about a big huck but about style, setting music etc. Downhill has been full on gnar and and the riders today are stepping it up. Maybe the sport will start maturing and develope its own style and not rely on Moto influence. There isnt as much money in it but its growing, give it time and we will see where it goes. Just look what Transition did for introducing colour. Look at Canfield, Morewood and Corsair(to name a few) for inovation and quality. I think we are spoilt for choice and its paid for by good riders being filmed and photo-ed in colors and settings which inspire people to ride. To ride they need to spend money to get the gear. How many Sundays were sold because of Hill or SCs cause of peaty and Minaar. Hell, would people know what a Commencal was if Gee and family werent the focus of so much press and media. They always seem to be featured some where. There animal image is easily identifiable.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I wonder if that was an intentional camera view, or a consequence of the Go-Pro camera. From what I've seen there isn't a live view on that camera and you can't review captured video on the camera, so your aiming is off, you won't know until you download it.
This is a large part of it ya, I have to shim up the chest harness to make it sit right.

Also, it looks like crap as I had to overcompress it to get it online, the connection here sucks and it barely got a 27mb file up. Hopefully the press center will be better than the pay internet.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
that's right! although the go-pro wide model has an almost fish-eye-like field of view. that's why i prefer to mount it to the side of the helmet (mouth guard). this way you can compare the axis of view to the axis of the eyes (and even then i push the cam a bit up). not trying to school experienced photographers, just my 0,02USD.
here's a link to one of my helmet cam vids:

http://vimeo.com/3146012

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
This is a large part of it ya, I have to shim up the chest harness to make it sit right.

Also, it looks like crap as I had to overcompress it to get it online, the connection here sucks and it barely got a 27mb file up. Hopefully the press center will be better than the pay internet.
figured thats why it was angled down more...chest Cam. i could have sworn i saw the helmet pop in to frame from the top. thought "how do you see the helmet if its mounted on the helmet..."