Quantcast

2009 USAC Worlds Team featuring Brian Lopes

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Since it's a short power course, Lopes is a good choice for it I'd say. Look how he did just yesterday in the Air DH and back at Sea Otter. World Champs is about grabbing medals. He'll be a threat for that in Canberra.

-ska todd

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
http://www.sicklines.com/2009/08/13/2009-usa-nominations-to-mountain-bike-world-championship-team/#more-5847

The 2009 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships will be held in Canberra, Australia on Sept. 1-6, 2009.

In the gravity events, Aaron Gwin (Morongo Valley, Calif./Yeti) received the lone men’s downhill automatic nomination by virtue of his third-place World Cup finish and his national championship in that event. Kyle Strait (Riverside, Calif.), Duncan Riffle (Santa Barbara, Calif./Duncan Riffle Racing), Luke Strobel (Renton, Wash./Maxxis), Cody Warren (El Cajon, Calif./Decline), Brian Lopes (Laguna Beach, Calif./Oakley) and Joey Schusler (Boulder, Colo./Yeti-Fox Shox) received discretionary nominations to the elite men’s downhill team. As the winner of the USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships downhill contest, Melissa Buhl (Chandler, Ariz./KHS) received the only automatic nomination to the elite women’s downhill squad. Kathy Pruitt (Santa Cruz, Calif./Jamis) will join her as a discretionary selection.

As the national champion, 17-year-old Mitch Ropelato (Ogden, Utah) received an automatic nomination to the elite men’s 4X squad. Mike Haderer (Concord, Calif.) and Blake Carney (Camarillo, Calif.) will join Ropelato on the men’s 4-cross squad as discretionary selections. Buhl and 2008 BMX Olympian Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash./Red Bull) both earned automatic nominations to the women’s 4X squad by virtue of multiple World Cup podium performances.

Read more inside

U.S. Team Nominations:

Elite Men’s Downhill
Aaron Gwin (Morongo Valley, Calif./Yeti)**
Kyle Strait (Riverside, Calif.)
Duncan Riffle (Santa Barbara, Calif.)
Luke Strobel (Renton, Wash.)
Cody Warren (El Cajon, Calif.)
Brian Lopes (Laguna Beach, Calif.)
Joey Schusler (Boulder, Colo.)

Elite Women’s Downhill
Melissa Buhl (Chandler, Ariz.)**
Kathy Pruitt (Santa Cruz, Calif.)

Elite Men’s 4-Cross
Mitch Ropelato (Ogden, Utah)**
Mike Haderer (Concord, Calif.)
Blake Carney (Camarillo, Calif.)

Elite Women’s 4-Cross
Melissa Buhl (Chandler, Ariz.)**
Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash.)**

Junior Men’s Downhill
Mitch Ropelato (Ogden, Utah)**
Kevin Aiello (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.)
Luciano Worl (Woodinville, Wash.)
Tom Neer (Arvada, Colo.)
Geoffrey Ulmer (Troy, N.Y.)

Elite Men’s Cross Country
Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (Boulder, Colo.)**
Adam Craig (Bend, Ore.)
Todd Wells (Durango, Colo.)
Sam Schultz (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
Michael Broderick (Chilmark, Mass.)
Carl Decker (Bend, Ore.)
Sam Jurekovic (Colorado Springs, Colo.)

Elite Women’s Cross Country
Willow Koerber (Asheville, N.C.)**
Mary McConneloug (Chilmark, Mass.)**
Heather Irmiger (Boulder, Colo.)**
Georgia Gould (Fort Collins, Colo.)
Katie Compton (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
Judy Freeman (Boulder, Colo.)

U23 Men’s Cross Country
Colin Cares (Colorado Springs, Colo.)**
Rob Squire (Sandy, Utah)
Tad Elliott (Durango, Colo.)

U23 Women’s Cross Country
Amy Dombrowski (Boulder, Colo.)**
Chloe Forsman (Tucson, Ariz.)

Junior Men’s Cross Country
Russell Finsterwald (Colorado Springs, Colo.)**
Zach McDonald (Bainbridge Island, Wash.)
Seth Kemp (Campobello, S.C.)
Eric Emsky (Fall City, Wash.)

Junior Women XCO
Jill Behlen (Boulder, Colo.)**
Essence Barton (Thousand Oaks, Calif.)

**denotes automatic nomination

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
What bike will he race though? Will a Mojo HD really be enough bike to stay with the splits in the rockier parts of the course?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Wow, Ibis is looking pretty smart for their tactic of focusing all their sponsorship dollars on Lopes. His wins on A-line sold a lot of Mojos and a World DH win on their new Mojo HD would be the best marketing possible. Give that man a raise.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What bike will he race though? Will a Mojo HD really be enough bike to stay with the splits in the rockier parts of the course?
Ever seen the guy ride legitimate DH trails on a mid-travel bike? There's a good reason he was picked for that particular course.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Rumours have it Sam Hill will be on a SX Trail and other riders will be shorter travel bikes. I think Lopes will be fine on a 180mm Mojo HD.
If it's true it rather disproves the other rumors that the course for this year is much better.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It would be nice if they posted the results of the riders they picked to justify the choices. I don't feel like digging through UCI and USAC results to find reasons to cheer/hate, but some actual justifications for choosing the ones they do would be great.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Hasn't Minnaar been racing Sea Otter on a DH bike the past few years.....?....he won last year and 2nd this year....:tinfoil:

This worlds course may lack elavation but it looks to have some teeth in spots. Top racers will probably expirement but most will end up on their DH bikes....but making them light might actually matter for once.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Anybody notice that CA produced better racers then CO, PAC northwest, and the northeast?

Just kidding.

But seriously. We are the best!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
3 of 5 Pro GRT events complete...

The latest version of the USA Cycling Pro Gravity Tour standings is as follows:

Men's Standings
1. Kain Leonard (Gunnison, Colo./Crested Butte Mountain Sports) 100
2. Chris Heath (Durango, Colo./Manitou-Hayes) 99
3. Chris Boice (Albuquerque, N.M./Yeti) 90
3. Aaron Gwinn (Morongo Valley, Calif./Yeti) 90
5. Curtis Keene (Freemont, Calif.) 75

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Then why not pick him for the men's 4-Cross too? He's got to have a better chance of a medal than a couple of those riders on the US squad I'd imagine after seeing his 2nd in the DS at Crankworx. Is it because he already has Worlds titles in 4X so he's not interested in racing that?

Something tells me this wasn't a random thing from USA Cycling where someone said "Hey, let's go ask that retired downhiller Lopes who gave up full time DH back in 2001 and see if he wants to represent the US in the World Champs!"

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I think some responsibility is placed on the athletes. They have to petition saying they want to go. Lopes might not have petitioned for 4x. The only athletes that USAC picked without expressed interest from the athletes are the ones indicated as automatic nomination.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Could you imagine Lopes winning worlds?
Unless they run the race on A-Line, no. He's an incredibly gifted rider with TONS of power, but I think he'll be lucky to crack the Top-20 against the current crop of WC guys.

-JP
(...prepares for a flame-fest...)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Lopes petitioning for Worlds team has been rumored for months inside the industry. I think I first heard it back around US Open. I'd think that if Worlds were at say Schladming or MSA he wouldn't have petitioned nor would have been given a spot.

Love or hate Lopes, the guy can still race a bike at an elite level and has proven at more then a couple races that he still has the horsepower against the "kids". Worlds is also a lot about mental preparation and putting it all together for one perfect run. Lopes isn't some kid on his first trip to Australia busy chasing skirt, drinking beer, and hoping to see a kangaroo. That level of maturity helps and hopefully he makes himself part of the team (vs self supported) and can help guide some of the younger guys as an older brother who has worn rainbow stripes of his own.

It would be nice if they posted the results of the riders they picked to justify the choices. I don't feel like digging through UCI and USAC results to find reasons to cheer/hate, but some actual justifications for choosing the ones they do would be great.
I don't know the exact determining factors used this year, but looking at the Elite men names on that roster, most of them have top 20'd in World Cups this year and some have top 10'd. Also, it's often the case that certain riders fail to petition, turn down a nomination, or have had incidents (either public or private) that would keep them from being considered.

At Worlds you technically aren't racing for your trade team or sponsors but for your national federation. With Worlds in Australia most federations are under a rather heavy financial burden. They aren't going to take a rider who is going to end up in the drunk tank and needing to be bailed out, a rider who can't wipe their own ass, or one who doesn't have the needed cash to support themselves once they are on the ground there since their already thinly stretched resources are already stretched mighty thin.

-ska todd

Last edited:

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
All but Aaron had to petition to USAC for selection. His 3rd in a WC and 1st at the Nationals gives him an automatic selection and a free USAC support package (supposedly worth $1800) when in Oz. He still has to pay for his flight and bike transport. All the rest of the Gravity team selected will be looking at flight, transport, accommodation etc. at a cost of about $3k to $4k.

I'm pretty sure this has been a deterrent to many eligible riders.

Last edited:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
There's a good chance Ibis wanted him to do this disipline specifically, he may be burnt on 4x, he may not want to do 2 events while there to focus on the leg burning DH race.

Besides, we have Ropelato to race 4x:D:D:D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I got no beef with Gwin going. He's a given and his going is set in stone so a no brainer there.

OK, so if USAC's criteria for Worlds is to put the riders with the best chance (who also lobbied in a convincing fashion) and with decent results, rank 'em for me in terms of horsepower. Since apparently being able to sprint down a non-World Cup level course against the worlds top athletes during a week they're all on the biggest bender of the season is a factor, line 'em for me.

In Elite US men, who's got the horsepower in their legs in this group, best to worst?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I got no beef with Gwin going. He's a given and his going is set in stone so a no brainer there.

OK, so if USAC's criteria for Worlds is to put the riders with the best chance (who also lobbied in a convincing fashion) and with decent results, rank 'em for me in terms of horsepower. Since apparently being able to sprint down a non-World Cup level course against the worlds top athletes during a week they're all on the biggest bender of the season is a factor, line 'em for me.

In Elite US men, who's got the horsepower in their legs in this group, best to worst?
probably the guys putting up top 20 results in the past WC races this year. The guys like strobel, strait, and riffle.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
All but Aaron had to petition to USAC for selection. His 3rd in a WC and 1st at the Nationals gives him an automatic selection and a free USAC support package (supposedly worth $1800) when in Oz. He still has to pay for his flight and bike transport. All the rest of the Gravity team selected will be looking at flight, transport, accommodation etc. at a cost of about $3k to $4k.

I'm pretty sure this has been a deterrent to many eligible riders.
I realize that this is not a World Cup event and the rider's wear their nations colors instead of their sponsors but I'd have to imagine the sponsors would want their top riders at this race and might fund that $4k to get their rider there if they're selected. There's still value to the sponsor for their rider to do well at the Worlds.

If racers truly are paying $4k out of their own pockets at this most Elite level racing in the World Champs then there's truly something dreadfully wrong with the sport.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If racers truly are paying $4k out of their own pockets at this most Elite level racing in the World Champs then there's truly something dreadfully wrong with the sport.
That's the sad reality that is mountain bike racing. We don't exactly have sponsors lining up to get their names on a team...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I realize that this is not a World Cup event and the rider's wear their nations colors instead of their sponsors but I'd have to imagine the sponsors would want their top riders at this race and might fund that $4k to get their rider there if they're selected. There's still value to the sponsor for their rider to do well at the Worlds.

Sponsors are definitely ponying up some cash to get their racers out to worlds but not all of the racers on that list are able to get enough from sponsors and do have to pay out of pocket. Usually that means that the racers ends up not being able to go unless they want to throw down 2-4K.

You are right though, there is something dreadfully wrong with that. USAC should help fund if not fully fund all racers chosen on that list. Sponsors can pay for their guys to get over there, lessening the burden on USAC, but for those few guys that need help, USAC should fork over the cash. Do something good for DH/4X for a change.

I wonder if USAC helps out with the XC riders to get to worlds? Just an honest question.

If I had enough cash I would definitely donate to get them all over.