Quantcast

2010 Formula THE ONES! Whats with the new design!!!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Geoff sent his into Formula:thumb:
that would be the ideal way, but im sure i can do it myself. i dont want to spend money if i dont have to.

I've installed them. They make the job of making the brakes feel right much easier. Shame they're so heavy. I currently just have it on the rear brakes on my bikes, figuring I could just make them feel the same as the front, but I'll put them on the front soon, so they're adjustable too.
do they just install right into the lever with no issue?
that little adjuster really weighs that much??

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
If I threw that little adjuster at you, you'd feel it. With a sling shot they could be used as anti aircraft projectiles in Iraq.
It probably weighs nearly as much as the whole lever body or caliper(without fluid).
LOL! Did you have the chance to weigh each FCS adjuster?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
that would be the ideal way, but im sure i can do it myself. i dont want to spend money if i dont have to.
do they just install right into the lever with no issue?
that little adjuster really weighs that much??
Easy to install, just screw in like you've said. Just need to have em wound out so the adjusters full of fluid, and bleed as described. It's all written down easy to read in the instructions they send.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
They didn't work with my goodridge hoses and connectors :-(
Different thread pitch by the looks of things

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i know The Ones comes stock with sintered pads but the 4pack of pads i found are semi-metallic. how much of a power decrease or increase would i see with pad difference and these brakes?
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Prs-8Pads-Formula-Mega-One-Disc-Brake-Pads-DH-/140510098725?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b70df525#ht_644wt_905
Power drops a little but the bigger issue is that they wear like they're made of cheese. I've had by far the best experience with Goodridge metallic pads. Performance is indistinguishable from the stock metals, but they last vastly longer.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Power drops a little but the bigger issue is that they wear like they're made of cheese.
how long you figure a set would last compared to the stock sintered? i mean these things are dirt cheap for the 4 pairs, so ya think it would be worth it?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
how long you figure a set would last compared to the stock sintered? i mean these things are dirt cheap for the 4 pairs, so ya think it would be worth it?
I tried a pair because I found them cheap. They lasted about 4 rides on my trail bike. Granted a lot of that riding was in the wet on sandy trails, so it was ideal conditions for eating pads, but it was still insane. Back when I had them on my DH bike I was getting 6 months or so out of the Goodridges. And I was using the bike a LOT. Still have probably 80% life on the first pair of Goodridge pads since I moved them over to my trail bike in May or maybe early June.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
so talk to me about these things... easy install? worth it? do those that installed them use them often as the pad's were? or is it a set and forget type deal?

thanks!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
so talk to me about these things... easy install? worth it? do those that installed them use them often as the pad's were? or is it a set and forget type deal?

thanks!
I still have The Ones and R1s on all my bikes. After nearly a year I finally wore through the rear pads on my DH bike but all5 other sets of pads have plenty of life an d I haven't had to re-adjust anything as they've worn. Initial setup was basic and bleeding was easy using an Avid kit. What can I say? After a year I still think they're perfect brakes. Every other brake I've owned has shown its problems by then.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
5 months riding mine and im still loving them too. i talked to the Formula guys at the US Open and i apparently have the 2011 models, which is good news i suppose.
the pads still have a good amount of meat on them but it hasnt been a super muddy year thankfully.
price is a bit nutty compared to some others but they have been trouble free (knock on wood.) ill never buy another 4 piston setup again after these.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
thanks all, was specifically looking at info on the FCS adjusters. sorry if that was not clear.

i have 2 sets of brakes, both have the same issue... i have to replace pads 1/2 way thru their life because there gets to be too much lever throw and the lever bottoms on the body before the pad hits the rotor. both are well bled, using the factory pads and factory rotors, etc. i figured i could just adjust the FCS guy and continue to get good useage on the pads.

thanks!

edit - i just realized i posted my question in the wrong thread... meant to dig up the FCS thread... sorry about that :D

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
anyone else have issues with Formula's rotor being super noisy? they seem to rattle a lot when the bike is dropped (or any time for that matter)...all the bolts are of course tight.

i have these rotors from them

rockdog

Chimp
Feb 6, 2009
I have also found the rotors to be quite noisy, lots of little pingy type sounds when dropped or bumped. I was checking rotor bolts all the time for awhile, now I'm sort of used to it.