Quantcast

2010 Schwalbe line up!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
SoPredictably the Schwalbe site is also next to useless, offering even more contradictory information. At this rate i'm just going to buy some more Maxxis.

Can it really be that hard to provide a uniform spec across the range??
I think this thread pretty well answered most stuff as well as different set ups thats that should cover any terrain.
Based on what you said and based on what the site says is if its dry hard pack then wicked will if its more loose over hard rocky then big betty if its more intermediate then muddy mary and if its nasty dirty dan.

Pretty well sums it up!

try for a trail star rear and a vert star front the new compounds are amazing as well as last LONGER than the guey gluey did and both have better damping than last year. The rolling resistance is great on muddy marys which makes for a great set up.

Its dry over loose most of the time here in SD and Im running a big betty rear muddy mary front and love it.... Super fast and predictable in the loose over hard as well as held a solid line in the loam of the oak trees last week on the rear betty.

Muddy mary is a great combo a smidge more rolling resistance as a back tire but grabs a handfull of terrain and holds on amazing.

I dont run enough solid dry stuff to justify a wicked will set up front/rear with the varied stuff we ride as they are dry hard pack specific and in that element they ROCK....

So for a basic guide:
Dirty Dan- MUD/intermediate or cut down for harder stuff
Muddy Mary- Intermediate from mud to loose over hard (love this tire)
Big Betty- semi loam to loose over hard and dry (love this as a rear tire)

Wicked Will- Some loose over hard to ROCK hard dry rocks and course

Last edited:

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Thanks, I was being a little lazy and not wanting to trawl through 19 odd pages.

Looking at a few reviews I think the Wicked Will might be too much an all out dry tyre.

So, Big Betty's - only in 2.4 & not available in all the compounds according to CRC or Schwalbe, so go for a couple of the Vertstar?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks, I was being a little lazy and not wanting to trawl through 19 odd pages.

Looking at a few reviews I think the Wicked Will might be too much an all out dry tyre.

So, Big Betty's - only in 2.4 & not available in all the compounds according to CRC or Schwalbe, so go for a couple of the Vertstar?
Yeah there are planty of great products with sites lacking for sure... LOL
yeah reading through is a bit daunting.

2.4s are great and dont drag at all, they fit a 2.35 front mm or other just fine and look fine. (been asked that several times :D).
The containers have been coming in and Schwalbe NA just got several containers in and are filling orders now so Id assume that CRC should be getting theres quickly.
They sold out faster than they came in this season, the new compounds are BAD@$$.... Hold out for a vert star set up or a vert front trail star rear... The new stuff is WORTH it.
Been on the vert star stuff for almost 2 months now and have rode a variety of terrain from mud to dry, rocks loose over hard to granite pumice and they are ALOT better especially the trail star vs the old triple compound.

Damping was a issue on triple compound it was chattery and had to run a little lower PSI to dampen chatter now run it wherever and it soaks up all the little chatter and the new compound is like a great rolling slow reezay that is just as silent but doesnt feel like riding with drag...

2011 stuff is worth the wait..... If not run a guey gluey and if you have to do a triple keep it on hte rear and run a little lower PSI to dampen stuff....:thumb:

Vert star front/rear hooks up, it will allow you to press a corner harder on and off of rocks and flat corners.. They hold the line....

Last edited:

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Thanks for the info - finally to clarify, is there a difference in compount between the vert & trailstar?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks for the info - finally to clarify, is there a difference in compount between the vert & trailstar?
Yes.
Vert star is soft sides and firmer center (like a 40d side 50d center as example) makes a killer front tire or rear when things get wild.
Trail star is a bit harder.compound (50d side and 60d center for example) and makes a great rear tire and if not racing a great front and rear set... its not as grabby as the Vert but shares the damping and absorption of it..
They both are a triple.compound soft sides harder middle and a more dense and firmer underlying layer.
Vert star is a race tire all the way and trail star is a fun/race tire
both solid tires and perform...

Ill have a full review with technical and changes with technology as well as a complete write up of what went down and where its at now...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Lol it makes it easier and they are supposed to be updating it soon.I have all the tech and info from germany in an email ill post bitsshortlybut complete in the updated review....
I will say the Vert star compound is a blast to try and get squirrley on. Push it hard and justpreload the lugs on a flat corner and go for it....

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
blah blah blah.

This company has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. For 2011 they should get rid of that Celeste chick that denied my warranty.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well all aside yes it would be nice to see actuall pics of the tread but I think post #1 in here covers that pretty well with weights and side shots mounted and un mounted for profile.
Cant really fault a company for an individual theres off days and then theres off people but as a whole its a pretty terrific company thats innovative and takes great pride in input from its riders and development.
theres a bit more to the story on the schwalbe side of things and why it was a hassle it was not his fault though and he had a clear issue but due to the nature of others taking advantage of things it made it hard for a actuall real issue...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Before saying a company sucks at customer service do you recommend that I talk to the accountant and janitor as well?

:oops:
Id have tried to talk to someone else as well but it probably wouldnt have gotten too far based on the amount of not true claims that people were throwing down trying to score 2 tires for 1.... especially since it was a uk/ger side of the pond recall issue and no apparent tires from that batch were listed as having made it stateside per corporate home...
So when a real one chimes in unfortunently it makes it difficult.....especially in light of that...