Quantcast

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
To the people here with the new wilson, do your brakes howl super bad no matter what you do?

Also, howe tall are you and what size are you on?

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Don't see what squealing brakes have to do with your bike. Maybe if you told us what brakes and rotors you're on, you'd get better responses? What brakes, what kind of pads and rotors you're running.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
u
correct, nor do you obviously
You probably ride trials bikes you ****ing knob. Come to the west coast where the descents are more than 400' feet.stop pissing on yourself or come out here and stand up fordrops too flat in central park.the east coast is weaker than cam burns

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... WBC you catch more flies with honey man. He was just joking. If you want help, try being nice to us.

What brakes are you running? Are they new? (or new pads/rotors) Is it the back only that's howling?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
u

You probably ride trials bikes you ****ing knob. Come to the west coast where the descents are more than 400' feet.stop pissing on yourself or come out here and stand up fordrops too flat in central park.the east coast is weaker than cam burns

I know what's wrong and how to fix it. But after you slammed the whole east coast. My feelings are hurt and I am not telling you.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I knew these frames were going to have issues. I can't believe they over looked the howling brakes when they were in the prototype phase. I suggest sending it in for warranty.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I knew Devinci's new Wilson Brakes were gona be garbage............not up to the insane riding on the west coast..........we don't even need brakes on the east coast so we're good to go. Better trade the Wilson for a M9 or V-10 they have Epic super gnar brakes. I beg you not not bash me with your amazing internet comback skilllzzz.....

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So there seems to be a few people speculating about brake noise and one guys that OWNS a Wilson that does not have an issue. Hmm, I think I'll go with the owner. What kind of brakes exactly are causing the purported noise?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Ah, don't take it so serious, it's the internet! more than half of my closest riding buddies are from the east coast anyway.

The brakes are saints on pro 2 hubs. I'm not saying this bike as a whole necessarily has issues, but this particular one does, and I'm just wondering if it's just this one guys setup, or if the frame is genetically predisposed to being super loud.

So does your wilson howl?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I think I remember a couple threads about noise on the Trek Session 88 when you run Saint brakes. The owners had to resort to resin pads to kill the resonation IIRC.

(In relation to the axle pivot design...)

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
WBC, excuse me for asking OT question. I'm very currious about the BB pivot assembly. Does it run on sealed bearings or smartly sealed bushings? Did you get your frame with manual showing how to disassemble it? Why is there no technical information provided on Devinci's web site? :confused:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's about the only scenario in which the frame would have an impact on brake squeal, yes?
As far as I know? I know there we rumours about certain bikes, under certain conditions causing a weird vibration. Some frames will resonate so a small brake squeal ends up being insanely loud.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As far as I know? I know there we rumours about certain bikes, under certain conditions causing a weird vibration. Some frames will resonate so a small brake squeal ends up being insanely loud.
this was also rumored to occur on certain monocoque frames circa early 2000's

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Improperly faced tabs may be the reason, I have no idea. I'm just asking around to hear peoples' real life experiences. And I don't know all the answers, but I know quite a lot about bikes. I was a lead mech for eight years with a specific focus on high end mountain. And to the people saying it's just the saint brakes, I have been riding the new Saints since summer '09 and mine don't howl on my Makulu now, or the 951 before it.

That said, certain frames have resonance issues that make it necessary to do some pretty weird things (like running one organic, one metal pad) to get the bike to be quiet. I'm not an engineer, but in eight years of working in shops, I have found a certain small few number of bikes that have this problem. I have heard rumors that the new Sessions don't run well with Saint brakes for example, and in my own personal experience, Norco's 2008 fluid LT had terrible brake noise despite trying several different brands of brakes and facing the tabs, etc. Brake noise is really annoying and if you're dropping $3000 on a frame, I think it's important to investigate any concerns!

For what it's worth the new Wilson seems like a f*cking RAD bike and is definitely one of the best new bikes I have seen in years. Really stoked on the design and layout. I just want to know more.

And to re-iterate, I am not saying the new Wilson necessarily has inherent brake noise, I'm just asking if other people with the same bike have the same problem.

So far there's one qualified responder, and he says he doesn't have brake noise. That's the only kind of information I need to hear!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm sure this was a great thread, but I'll chime in here with similar experience with howling brakes on my session 88 (saint) and my roommates howling brakes on his stumpjumper (elixer cr). I assume you're referring to the kind of howl that makes the entire frame vibrate, rather then just a squeaky brake. If that is the case, I (and he) have had great luck with an alternating resin and metalic. One of each seems to take care of the noise without sacrificing too much power.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Yup, I have heard of this before. What you need to do is call customer service and tell them you need a new frame. The reason why the brakes squeal like that is because the frame does not have enough yaw. Ask them for more yaw. They will send it to you in the mail.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Have you been administering the "tittie-twister" method of stopping? b/c IRL, tittie-twisters tend to induce howling. Also, have you been riding during a full moon by chance? If so, you might want to carry a loaded gun with silver bullets: you're bike is a werewolf. But, just be glad it is not a vampire that sparkles, b/c that is really...distracting. These are just some ideas. My last thought is that the bike might be trying to contact the rest of its pack, so there should be no concern. Just be aware that stopping may result in getting mauled by temperamental woodland creatures. The good news though, the only thing you should have to face is a bunch of Disney characters who want to make you a snack. Happy Trails, hope you're enjoying all that sun on the West Coast.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
Braking lightly in the bedding in process of new pads/brakes can cause a resonance pattern on the rotor – think how a vinyl records work… especially on the rear as many drag the rear brakes without noticing.. The pads pretty much jiggle around under light braking rather than be forced squarely on the rotor..

A small dob of copper grease on the back of the pads can help keep the pads from resonating - super, super careful about not getting any on the braking surfaces and only should be used as a last option…..

Grubby, oily finger prints, excess chain lube and some types of cleaning agents can cause some noise…

I have certainly come across a few bike that just resonated under braking.. Mostly were light weight carbon duallies and I am not going to name the brands as it wasn’t an across the board problem.. It actually was a good thing for the owners as it taught them of how much they dragged their brakes…

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
WBC- I see you're in the PNW, the next time you're in Bellingham you should try dropping your bike by Fanatik, talk to Ashlon, I'm sure that guy can fix anything. If he can't then he'll at least tell you a good story about it. If he's not around maybe try Earl's or DNZ. There is no shortage of good shops in that town and I'm sure one of them can help you with facing the brake tabs like Fraser recommended.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
I'm just gonna throw this out there (I don't have any experience with said frame, brakes or nowt) but one thing that occurs to me, especially after reading that the Session 88 can suffer a similar thing - Could it be to do with the Split Pivot / ABP design? Which, after all, is a design specifically for a particular braking effect. Both frames are similar in this respect. No?
I know floaters can be noisy as hell. (edit: by 'floaters' I mean floating brake arms, not floating shocks)
If there's any kind of play in the pivots, however small, this could possibly be resonating with the brakes and then through the frame??

Just an idea.........................

Last edited:

*Pepe*

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Vancouver, BC
i'm rolling both the wilson and devinci's AM split pivot Dixon, and they're as quiet as a ninja.

used to run full saint on the wilson and recently switched to xtr levers with saint calipers. no noise with either set up. running full xtr on the dixon and again, no noise.

been at this game for a bit and there is some truth that some frames simply don't shut up. in my experience, both the wilson and dixon don't fall into this category.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Saints have squealed like hell on both my Giant Faith and Spec Enduro. The brakes normally on the Enduro, MY10 Formula ONEs, squal like hell too. Darn things resonates like crazy too. First time it happend and I was sitting down I could feel it start in my balls and end in my brain. Sounds bad I know.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Sounds fecking brilliant, what bikes that on? I'm currently not getting any at home, riding and cheap ball vibrations = win.
Just buy a Session 88 and mount Saints with sintered brake pads on it. There you go:weee:
Had the same problem on my Session. Bought organic pads: problem fixed. I have enough brake power and they don't wear too fast. We're riding steep terrain but most of the time it's dry. So no problem with mud and fast wearing.