Quantcast

2011 Devinci Wilson SP

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
sooooo ugly. :confused: there had to be a better way to implement the suspension design with a more aesthetically pleasing design/tubeset.

the thing rivals a norco in its hideousness

its funny that everyone hates on swoopy tube bikes for looking like a fat dude sat on em. this bike actually fits that description to a T. even the turned down seatstays. i cant get over how bad this bike looks...

with so many amazing options these days for bikes/suspension design, you can really have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I liked the proto images more, seems quite short and steep - but that might just be the pic.

Got any info on the sizing and geometry?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
What I'd like to is, besides jumping headfirst on the marketing bandwagon, how does that bike improve on the old FSR design?
Must have a shorter stiffer back end. Must have.

That old design was wack for an FSR. Who cares if the seat tube is full length on a dh bike. Long seat stays = bleh.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Must have a shorter stiffer back end. Must have.

That old design was wack for an FSR. Who cares if the seat tube is full length on a dh bike. Long seat stays = bleh.
The old design used ****ty pivots and weird dimensions. Didn't have much to do witht he FSR bit I don't think.

Wonder if SP is cheaper than FSR?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What I'd like to is, besides jumping headfirst on the marketing bandwagon, how does that bike improve on the old FSR design?
Wasnt FSR patent only limited to the US and that was the fact devinci didnt offocialy have a rep in there? I always thought they went for the sp because they could afford with while they didnt want to pay for the FSR patent before.

The geo is funky. The large is super short and BB is 14.4", way higher than the industry standard of 14".
The geo is way of the industry standards. 16.8 CS, Highish BB and short TT. It looks like a 2007 FR bike on paper. I was always a fan of devinci but WTF? I sure hope its adjustable so you can slacken it out (and than treat an L like an M).

Also - the devinci inteligence and some of the other marketing stuff I see on their page looks like it was written by Tony Ellsworth. Im really worried whats going on at Devinci. Always seemed like a cool company. Is CIA doing LSD experiments in French Canada since the French are not up for it anymore? I really want it to me some kind of a mixup.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
It's an ugly design IMO but apparently the suspension works very well. I'm sure this is a more sound marketing move, you wouldn't want a basic, proven design when there is something new and funky on the table would you? However, I think if they did some minor geometry changes and some hydroforming the old design would have been very nice.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Wasnt FSR patent only limited to the US and that was the fact devinci didnt offocialy have a rep in there? I always thought they went for the sp because they could afford with while they didnt want to pay for the FSR patent before.
^^^This.
As much as any technical improvement, the fact that it can be sold in the US (as well as other FSR protected areas) has got to be considered as an improvement.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
As for the geo. The medium has nearly the same measurements as my 2009 medium with the rear dropout in FR position. Too bad it obviously lacks the DH position, though I like the FR better for most of the slower tech riding I do.
As for the pivots found on FSR 2008-2010 models, my 2009 still runs on original bearings with zero maintenance. Not bad for a bike almost 2 years old. It sure has some flex, but so does the Dorado.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
sooooo ugly. :confused: there had to be a better way to implement the suspension design with a more aesthetically pleasing design/tubeset.

the thing rivals a norco in its hideousness

its funny that everyone hates on swoopy tube bikes for looking like a fat dude sat on em. this bike actually fits that description to a T. even the turned down seatstays. i cant get over how bad this bike looks...

with so many amazing options these days for bikes/suspension design, you can really have your cake and eat it too.
Agreed! none of the lines flow, all seems to be pushing to the middle.

Shame as Devinci always had such clean bikes

Sure it works good though:D

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
geometry is adjustable on all 3 of the new SP bikes (xc, trail and dh)

geometry for the 2011 Wilson SP is as follows:

small frame TT 22.6", medium frame TT 23.5", large frame TT 24.4"

LOW setting

SA-72, HA-64, CS-16.9, BBH-14.2", WB - 45.5" (small) 46.3" (medium) 47.3" (large)

HIGH setting

SA-72.7, HA-64.7, CS-16.8, BBH-14.4", WB - 45.4" (small) 46.2" (medium) 47.2" (large)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's a little swoopy and complicated but I really like the split pivot integration, pivot height and shock placement. Should be a nice little frame if it's cheap. I doubt it will be. I could see them cleaning up if it's priced right.

The geo seems off though. That BB height is high for a competitive frame, and I like high BBs compared to the scrapers that are coming out now.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
That BB height is high for a competitive frame, and I like high BBs compared to the scrapers that are coming out now.
i have to agree, i dont know what kind of tracks people are riding out there but they must be smooth and groomed or even if they are rocky and rooty not much a a change in height between obstacles. even on bikes like the new gloary i found i was hitting the bash quite often

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i have to agree, i dont know what kind of tracks people are riding out there but they must be smooth and groomed or even if they are rocky and rooty not much a a change in height between obstacles. even on bikes like the new gloary i found i was hitting the bash quite often
On a lower bike you hit the ground as often really. The differance of 0.5 mm wont save from such places. Also - just go faster in such places. Seriously what downhill tracks on the WC circut you know that have a problem with bb clearance? Not ocasional bash rub - bash grinding happens, its a problem when it happens every ride, not every week.
Maribor rock garden has much change in height between obstacles but unless you try to do it at xc speed its no problem and Im talking it from my point of view (ie. far from a pro). The only place where my 13.7 inch bb was a problem was on enduro tracks such as megaavalache and mountain of hell and only because I was a pussy there and if I hit stuff with more confidence it wouldnt be a problem.
Also if you ride slow technical stuff - you probably run a smaller front ring = smaller bash = more clearance so whats the problem?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think the big advantage of split pivot is that its cheaper to implement, you can get the same braking effects that can be achieved with FSR, and it can be made cheaply. It also gets around FSR patents...

Looking at the prices of the various split pivot bikes out there, I don't see this "its cheaper" thing reflected.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Man, I thought finding light enough springs for my weight was a hassle the last time DW designed a bunch of bikes with low leverage ratios. Devinci speccing a 10.5" stroke Fox shock on this 8.5" travel DH frame is going to be a nightmare. ;)

Note to the kiddies; proofread your new website before it goes live.
Vivid Air may be the answer.