Quantcast

2012 prototypes: keep 'em coming!

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
i dig the caliper looks. hopefully they don't end up with random issues like i've been reading about elixirs...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
‎

Uprising!

Geometry with 150mm fork ( 520mm AC )

High - HA-67.62 BB- 13.48/342.5mm WB -44.0/1120.0 mm CS - 430mm/16.9" SA 72.8

Low - HA-66.5 BB-13.00/330.0mm WB- 44.25/1124.09mm CS - 433.97mm/17.08" SA 71.76

Shock: 7.875 x 2.25
ISCG05
Integrated headset
142 x 12mm rear axle
5.7lbs - ish w/o shock

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'll hold off expectation until I see a weight, that thing looks meaty.
Imho that's good. If they make it super durable and reasonable weight it will be a perfect 2nd bike for dh riders. I will even take it into jumps and local bikeparks. If they go the lighter weight more soft core be carefull agressive geo bike I will still need one more bike to fulfill all my riding needs.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
‎

Uprising!

Geometry with 150mm fork ( 520mm AC )

High - HA-67.62 BB- 13.48/342.5mm WB -44.0/1120.0 mm CS - 430mm/16.9" SA 72.8

Low - HA-66.5 BB-13.00/330.0mm WB- 44.25/1124.09mm CS - 433.97mm/17.08" SA 71.76

Shock: 7.875 x 2.25
ISCG05
Integrated headset
142 x 12mm rear axle
5.7lbs - ish w/o shock

2 weeks then?

(...had to be done)

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
what seals are those on the boxxers? seems they don't use the crappy sticky stock ones.

EDIT - and the gwin's 40 seems to have skf's new moto seals installed (i believe the compound they are made of is filled with something to make them self-lubricating)

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
what seals are those on the boxxers? seems they don't use the crappy sticky stock ones.

EDIT - and the gwin's 40 seems to have skf's new moto seals installed (i believe the compound they are made of is filled with something to make them self-lubricating)
There's a dirty joke just waiting to be made

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Air 40 has me quite MEH. Fox doesn't do the best job of making smooth air trail forks, so I'd guess that the increased stanchion size of the 40 would lead to some pretty sticky DH forks.

Guess we'll see though....

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Air 40 has me quite MEH. Fox doesn't do the best job of making smooth air trail forks, so I'd guess that the increased stanchion size of the 40 would lead to some pretty sticky DH forks.

I still think air forks (and shocks) are for people who get hot and bothered talking about how much their fork weighs, while coils make for better performance. Or if you are a RS fan its a great way to spend $500 extra dollars to fill your fork up with something free.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I still think air forks (and shocks) are for people who get hot and bothered talking about how much their fork weighs, while coils make for better performance. Or if you are a RS fan its a great way to spend $500 extra dollars to fill your fork up with something free.
Free? I only use the finest airs for my fork:

2007-12-17_152824-canned-air.jpg

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

You obviously haven't ridden a float, or any of the newer talas's.

I'm sure there are people for whom that is the case, but its not for everybody. I have a boxxer r2c2 and a boxxer WC, and the boxxer wc is on my bike and the r2c2 is in storage. I quite enjoy having a variable spring rate that I can tune for light shuttle days, jump days, heavier DH days, and steeper trail days. Rebuilding, as you well know, takes all of 25 minutes if you're drinking heavily and not paying attention, and so far my wc has needed no more service then my coil. Also, there's no justifying an expensive purchase since I got the WC at the same price I got my team (now r2c2).

I know it lacks a little bit of small bump compliance in theory, but it doesn't seem to translate to a real difference on the trail.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
For an RS sponsored rider you sure don't understand the main advantage of an solo air - adjustability.

As William said. Small bump sensitivity is only noticable in the parking lot. Unless you run the fork at minimal damping it's hardly noticable.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
For an RS sponsored rider you sure don't understand the main advantage of an solo air - adjustability.

As William said. Small bump sensitivity is only noticable in the parking lot. Unless you run the fork at minimal damping it's hardly noticable.
No matter how many times I try to deny it, somehow I'll always be sponsored by RS.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No matter how many times I try to deny it, somehow I'll always be sponsored by RS.
I'm sure they send you lots of love for all that advertising you did for them on rm. It's like sponsoring but 2.0 ;)

In all seriousness: I never seen you deny it.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You obviously haven't ridden a float, or any of the newer talas's.
Actually, I have. Quite a bit at that. 2010 Float RLC. LOTS of time in on that one. And ya know what? It never get anywhere close to as smooth as the X-Fusion forks I've tried, even after breaking in. Theres always that little bit of stickyness right at the start, can't ever seem to get rid of that. Same with every 40 I've tried.

That said I think the Fox beats the X-Fusion dampers by a little bit, and they are lighter I think, so I guess it somewhat evens out...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Congrats on your lifetime sponsorship!
You have now joined Tinker and Ned.

Ha, Fox has said all along that the reason they do not make an air dh fork is because it is not up to their performance standards for DH. I can't see them producing an air dh fork until they have the technology for it to feel right (which could be now for all I know). Because there is really no comparison between a newer 40 and that world cup air fork that is stickier than a Bangladesh Brothel.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I'm sure they send you lots of love for all that advertising you did for them on rm. It's like sponsoring but 2.0 ;)

In all seriousness: I never seen you deny it.
My bad. I figured saying that I 'paid full price' in several old threads implied the obvious.

Congrats on your lifetime sponsorship!
You have now joined Tinker and Ned.
Thank you for not saying the new Herbald

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
that's why your sponsoring deal is more better ;) btw. i dont understand the wc hate. my 2010 is smooth.
And I didn't even get free stickorz. I don't have a problem with the WC (used the air fork for 3 years), but I still think the coil is a better and most consistent feel. Air has its place in terms of weight and a bit of adjustability (the latter being overstated in my opinion), but if it were a superior spring you'd see it used in other applications for which weight is not as much an issue. Doesn't mean that an air spring is total sh*t either. Having various systems available is great, and I really like how RS makes 2 identical forks with different 'springs.'

But I've always gotten a laugh out of how they manage to price the air-spring WC model at something like $500 more than its otherwise identical twin for the past 7 years. While at the same time ('09 i think) Marzocchi had two identical forks, only air version was far less expensive.

*Thread needs moar prototypes

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
But I've always gotten a laugh out of how they manage to price the air-spring WC model at something like $500 more than its otherwise identical twin for the past 7 years. While at the same time ('09 i think) Marzocchi had two identical forks, only air version was far less reliable.

*Thread needs moar prototypes
Fify ;)

Though I agree solo air is a bit overpriced but that's normal in any field. 200$ and 500$ headphones sound very much alike if you choose well if you want an example. It only makes sense if you want that extra 10%. If RS had more spring types I think fewer people would need an air fork. I just like to play around with settings so I like my wc but I bought mine used for a great price.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
The Fox 40 is air assist. Still runs the light coil. To me air is more about tunability.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
But I've always gotten a laugh out of how they manage to price the air-spring WC model at something like $500 more than its otherwise identical twin for the past 7 years.
funny part is, even if you pay full retail for the parts to convert, its still less than $350...