Quantcast

2021 Worlds @ Val di Sole

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Only about a week out, time to start seeing more crazy paint jobs and "national pride" kits.

Vergier FTW? Holl FTDNF? No Gwinn, no care? :D

How do the geo restricted monkeys go about watching? Anyone that watched last year have a primer on best VPN/location to see it in english?
And what the hell is up with Switzerland having a 1 hour embargo? The UCI is fully retarded... :thumb:

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events/uci-mountain-bike-world-championships-val-di-sole/uci-mtb-world-champs-2021-stream-restrictions

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
It was great to hear how pumped all the riders were about Worlds/Val di Sole during interviews at Maribor. Pumped riders makes for good racing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It was great to hear how pumped all the riders were about Worlds/Val di Sole during interviews at Maribor. Pumped riders makes for good racing.

Pleased to have heard that many of them are also stoked. I hope reports come back that the track is so sweet.

Yeah boy

En Francais: ("fuck, waa paa paaa paaa, fuck")

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Don't forget that Jean Girard is also on the list of french riders with winning potential. He might be able to surprise everyone if he recovered completely...
Greenland seems to be surfing a good wave and he did smash everything in VdS 2019 so he might do something great too!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Don't forget that Jean Girard is also on the list of french riders with winning potential. He might be able to surprise everyone if he recovered completely...
Greenland seems to be surfing a good wave and he did smash everything in VdS 2019 so he might do something great too!
He’s still healing and I thought he wasn’t racing this year.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm hoping to test the VPN function on the XC broadcasts to be ready for DH on Sunday.

I'm a little confused on the "English Only" broadcast in just a limited selection of countries, versus all the countries that can view the broadcast. Does it matter? Like right now, I was planning on using Mexico as my VPN IP.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Pls report back if this works for you!

I will be trying to VPN using the free Opera browser.

I'm gonna spend 5 minutes max trying to connect and if it doesn't work go ride my bike. Not being able to see the race and going riding instead is becoming a Worlds tradition for me.

I'm hoping to test the VPN function on the XC broadcasts to be ready for DH on Sunday.

I'm a little confused on the "English Only" broadcast in just a limited selection of countries, versus all the countries that can view the broadcast. Does it matter? Like right now, I was planning on using Mexico as my VPN IP.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Gunning for the GOAT this weekend!

Forcing Lecomte to ride U23 after winning four straight elite races is completely asinine, and the fact that she won't participate smells like a silent protest.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Forcing Lecomte to ride U23 after winning four straight elite races is completely asinine, and the fact that she won't participate smells like a silent protest.
that's always been the rules for worlds. they'll let you race up in elite for regular WCs if you are a jr/u23, but for worlds you are required to race your appropriate age category. the year richie won jr dh worlds, he raced the regular WC season in elite.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I realize that. Still seems pretty asinine. Why have a different rule for Worlds vs. the World Cup? To protect older riders from a fast youngster?

Let her take her chances in elite if she wants, and let someone else take the U23 stripes. Given the smackdown she's put on the elite riders this year, making her race U23 is like forced sandbagging.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I realize that. Still seems pretty asinine. Why have a different rule for Worlds vs. the World Cup? To protect older riders from a fast youngster?

Let her take her chances in elite if she wants, and let someone else take the U23 stripes. Given the smackdown she's put on the elite riders this year, making her race U23 is like forced sandbagging.
i'm just stating that's the rule, and its not a new one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Let me get this straight, you are trying to make sense of the UCI?

:rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
but yes, i agree its asinine. once you go up to elites, that should be it. no going back down.

and on that note, why have different broadcast contracts for worlds vs the regular WC events?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Worlds are supposedly shown on TV in various countries.

I doubt UCI could manage to sell World Cup telecast rights to the CNBC-Comcast-24HoursOfFishing channel or whatever godforsaken boomer channel that apparently broadcasts 12 minutes of Worlds highlights at 1am, 3 months after it happened.

At least RedBull.tv is relatively dependable, in spite of doing their damndest to make the app unnavigatible.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Worlds are supposedly shown on TV in various countries.

I doubt UCI could manage to sell World Cup telecast rights to the CNBC-Comcast-24HoursOfFishing channel or whatever godforsaken boomer channel that apparently broadcasts 12 minutes of Worlds highlights at 1am, 3 months after it happened.

At least RedBull.tv is relatively dependable, in spite of doing their damndest to make the app unnavigatible.
funnny you say that, NBC Sports had the broadcast rights to worlds the last 2 (3?) years, and man did it suck.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

From memory this stupid rule meant Anne Caro set a couple of Junior WC times that would have taken the Open WC

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
I'm gonna cast my vote now. I'm rooting for Loic.

BTW, how comes there's no poll at the top of this thread to tell the world who do we think will be our next champion???
Kinda boring if Loic takes it out, no?

Would love to see Brosnan win (unlikely) or Minnaar just to further cement his GOAT status. But really Vergier or Daprela would be my bet.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
What is making Dh racing (men and woman) so epic right now is how unpredictable the podium will be. In the mens there are so many potential winners. At least a handfull of safe bets and the a host of guys that can get on one of the steps if they nail their run. Friggin physched for this weekend after the last mental showdown.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'd love to see an american win, so I'll be rooting for them the hardest. That probably won't happen, so then I'd love to see an old guy win, so I'll be rooting for Minnaar. If that doesn't work out, I want to see Loris win just because of how happy he always is when he gets to the bottom of the hill.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
The Short Track XC was pretty exciting, actually. GO USA!

For me, I actually pay for PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN. It worked using the UK and selecting the English only option from Redbull.tv (I did not use the redbull app). Although at first it was like RB new I was not in England and asked if I wanted to change to my "regular" location. Maybe clear your cache/history before logging on may help. But I did get a few "this is not available in your area" messages before it finally started working. Maybe due to not using the "English Only" link. FYI.

I did try to use Mexico and the "other than english" option and it didn't work.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
No luck with Opera browser set to VPN Europe.

Oh well. The UCI doesn't want me to watch the most important race of my favorite sport. I'll take the hint.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Frustrating to not be able to watch the DH race live here in the US. Can't remember from prior years, is Redbull allowed to show the replay eventually?