Quantcast

224??

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
It looks like the swingarm and shock is sitting even lower than before. Well it will be interesting to hear a little bit more about it.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
a front derailluer and a Fox 40?

hhmmm....... :confused:

looks like someone taller than Peaty must be riding this thing. holy seat height!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have 2 224s on the way to me, will be here by the weekend in time for a race. I will give everyone the lowdown on it then. Size small, not that monstrosity in the photos.

According to Peaty, it is "faster then ever". He prefers the geometry to the old one, and the slightly diff leverage ratio. The frame itself weighs almost 1 lb less then the 223. Then take off the floater and save an extra pound.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Peatey has been riding one of those for...hahha it looks xcish im sure its fast as hell and light, pure bread racer.
I agree, it doesn't look very "beefy." Although, it does look really fast and light. Peaty has been killing it on that bike...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Transcend said:
I have 2 224s on the way to me, will be here by the weekend in time for a race. I will give everyone the lowdown on it then. Size small, not that monstrosity in the photos.

According to Peaty, it is "faster then ever". He prefers the geometry to the old one, and the slightly diff leverage ratio. The frame itself weighs almost 1 lb less then the 223. Then take off the floater and save an extra pound.
Different leverage ratio? Does the bike have less travel or something?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WheelieMan said:
Different leverage ratio? Does the bike have less travel or something?
No idea. If it does, it went up, that's all I know. Haven't actually had my hands on one yet.

They may have squeaked a bit more out due to shock placement and pivot placement..the 223 has a habit of buzzing the seat on the small bikes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Dan-Rides-Bikes said:
its the pivot placement

also the one in the pic is essentially the new 223 DD
Nope, it's not. It is the 224 race bike. The DD has a 1.5" head tube. All of the bikes now ship with front derrailleur mounts. our race bikes were the only models last season that didn't have them. The late arrivals all had cable stops.

changing solely a pivot placement will not change leverage ratios. The amount of travel or the amount of shock stroke woudl need to change for this to occur.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CBJ said:
Sounds like they are going in the right direction with the 224 and man what a light setup with the 06 BoXXer WC.
no kidding, my 224 will be almost 2 lbs lighter then my 223 due to the design change and the lack of a floating brake setup.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Transcend said:
no kidding, my 224 will be almost 2 lbs lighter then my 223 due to the design change and the lack of a floating brake setup.
Is the 224 going to come standard without a floating a brake? I would be pretty interested to see how you like the 224.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Transcend said:
that makes me happy in the pants. i just wish they stopped routing the brake lines through the frame.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA

damn posted with the 2006 air boxxer. thats gotta be one hell of a lite bike

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Hmm, instead of dropping the travel a tiny bit they should have used that new Manitou shock with 3.5 inch stroke! I love the paintjob on the GBR version, if only some american bike companies would use red, white, and blue.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Transcend said:
the bike already had issues with buzzing the seat, a longer stroke shock would have been a bad idea.

Also, the manitou shocks sound like clogged toilet bowls.
Longer stroke shock while maintaining 9 inches of travel wouldn't cause any more clearance issues.

Oh, you mean the new ones that you haven't ridden do too?! :eviltongu

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
CreeP said:
it can be a pain in the but but it does have its benefits.
true, i mean it looks awesome and keeps everything out of the way, but i might place some rivets on the tops of the swingarm and use those to attatch my hose for easy removal/installation.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WheelieMan said:
Longer stroke shock while maintaining 9 inches of travel wouldn't cause any more clearance issues.

Oh, you mean the new ones that you haven't ridden do too?! :eviltongu
I mean all of our team bikes came with them, and they sounded horrendous - and the new OE ones that they have in stock also sound horrendous. So yes, even those.

Good point about the stroke but the bike didn't need 10" of travel anyways.

edit: orange also stocks different manufacturers shocks on different bikes, so going with a 3.5" stroke shock would limit them to only the clogged toilets.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
I think it's ugly. I'm from the states. Why would I want a british flag and some stupid lion painted on my bike? Reminds me of some nfl team. And the team version? Friggin dog poo color. I hate it. I guess the dd isn't so bad with black but, everything is black these days.

Can you still get the white 223?

I'm just mad because I was planning on getting a 223 in the next couple months and I really like that bike and I doubt you'll be able to get one.

What's the diff between the dd and race minus components? Is the dd the same frame but, with a 1.5 headtube?

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
S.G.D said:
that makes me happy in the pants. i just wish they stopped routing the brake lines through the frame.
How come you don't like the cable going through the frame?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The only difference between the DD and regular 223 is the head tube size, yes.

The 223 comes in 3 colors, and hasn't come in white for 3 years now. This year the white has the english sticker kit on it.

It's a friggin bike made in england, if you don't like it, don't buy it. They certainly aren't going to customize it to american tastes, of all things.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
its a pain to route, it tweeks the hell out of the hose (could be cured with a 30deg banjo bolt) and it presses the hose against the fine edge of the cut-out in the frame. (can be cured with tape, or by wrapping the hose in any type of tube)

ive never had a real problem becuase of any of that, but peace of mind would only come if they were cured.

it also sucks for removing the brake if you need to. last time i just cut the hose off, and replaced it with a new one.

although technically not as safe from catching rocks and trees, and obviously not as slick looking, i think a hose routed ontop of the swing arm with rivets would prove to be a little more functional. hell, the guys at mojo suspension have done it, and from what i remeber peaty's mechanic has done it to his frame.

but hey, thats just me.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
S.G.D said:
its a pain to route, it tweeks the hell out of the hose (could be cured with a 30deg banjo bolt) and it presses the hose against the fine edge of the cut-out in the frame. (can be cured with tape, or by wrapping the hose in any type of tube)

ive never had a real problem becuase of any of that, but peace of mind would only come if they were cured.

it also sucks for removing the brake if you need to. last time i just cut the hose off, and replaced it with a new one.

although technically not as safe from catching rocks and trees, and obviously not as slick looking, i think a hose routed ontop of the swing arm with rivets would prove to be a little more functional. hell, the guys at mojo suspension have done it, and from what i remeber peaty's mechanic has done it to his frame.

but hey, thats just me.

My saints have no kink..in fact they run right in straight. I just pass my line through a piece of moto fuel line, gives me piece of mind (but i never had an issue with it anyways). It is a pain in the ass to route the first time, but after that you just have to take the new one to the old one befor eyou pull it out. It looks nice too.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
true on all accounts, but i guess there is something to be said for different brakes.

i forgot to mention that this is what i have experienced while running hayes mag's.

on another note, i wouldn't want the gear housing on the outside, it just look so damn nice where it is, and the loop it makes is fine in terms of friction.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Transcend said:
The only difference between the DD and regular 223 is the head tube size, yes.

The 223 comes in 3 colors, and hasn't come in white for 3 years now. This year the white has the english sticker kit on it.

It's a friggin bike made in england, if you don't like it, don't buy it. They certainly aren't going to customize it to american tastes, of all things.
Hasn't come in white for 3 years?

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2005bikes/bikes.php?bike=223

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
When I ordered my 222 back in 2003 I had the option to get it in any of the colors they painted in that year. I don't know if that is still is an option.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CBJ said:
When I ordered my 222 back in 2003 I had the option to get it in any of the colors they painted in that year. I don't know if that is still is an option.

It's not. They have certain models that come in certain colors and that is it. Production has gone up in the last 2 years, they can't do some of the stuff they used to.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
mine's custom :nuts:

heard a rumor it's gonna be painted orange next year too. . . it's been 5 years since the orange bike were actually orange so it'll be cool again. that and our kit clashes terribly with the union jack theme. red, white, blue + orange, grey, black . . . . vomit

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
General Lee said:

heard a rumor it's gonna be painted orange next year too. . . it's been 5 years since the orange bike were actually orange so it'll be cool again. that and our kit clashes terribly with the union jack theme. red, white, blue + orange, grey, black . . . . vomit

i considered vomit color. :)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
General Lee said:

i actually saw an orange(the color) patriot in the basement of the shop i work at today. it was cool but i like the grey better. that 224 is looking really nice. if only the us dollar wasnt so weak against the british pound. or it would be nice if i could just ep something from orange.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
On Top bike shop in North Vancouver had two 2005 223 frames in the pearl white that Fraser talks off. Sick looking paint job for sure.