Quantcast

224??

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
neversummersnow said:
It's that vs the new DHR...1 pount lighter DHR? too...woh!
I talked to Casey @ Turner yesterday and he says they are seriously considering cancelling the DHR for 06. I guess they aren't selling any of the 05's and they aren't sure they want to continue on with a DH frame. He said that the closure of Big Bear put a huge dent in their sales and they are sitting on a pile of 05 DHR's.

I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for an 06 DHR...

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Makes me sad they dropped the travel to 8.39". I really wanted to build up a 9" bike. :(

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
hahah. jerk. Demo 9 has too many friggin bearings. I'm over bearings and linkage.

I have a buddy that knows a Giant rep who might be able to get me a replacement. Regardless I won't have a dh bike for awhile. I sure am having fun on my Saber!

Attachments

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ender said:
hahah. jerk. Demo 9 has too many friggin bearings. I'm over bearings and linkage.

I have a buddy that knows a Giant rep who might be able to get me a replacement. Regardless I won't have a dh bike for awhile. I sure am having fun on my Saber!
That's punk as fvck!!

I think all the rain must have rusted it out.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Bacardi said:
Haha, at least you ahd 2 chainstays to keep it together...

The Orange....WHoa, standard 64' HA.
(http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2005bikes/bikes.php?bike=223#geom )
What is the Adjustability range on the bike? are the increments in .5' or so?

the head angle on mine is somewhere around 65 or 66. the bikes are pretty adjustable. you can change the shock mounting position onto the main triangle, and each position raises/lowers the BB a little less than .5", and with this the headube changes accordingly. they are all small adjustments, but there enough options (3 or 4 positions that work depending on the shock mounted) to get everything dialed, especially when you consider that you can slide the forks legs up/down to fine tune even more.

you can pretty much get it to suite any riding style... and those slack angles start to feel real nice when the speed starts getting up there to match

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
davetrump said:
the head angle on mine is somewhere around 65 or 66. the bikes are pretty adjustable. you can change the shock mounting position onto the main triangle, and each position raises/lowers the BB a little less than .5", and with this the headube changes accordingly. they are all small adjustments, but there enough options (3 or 4 positions that work depending on the shock mounted) to get everything dialed, especially when you consider that you can slide the forks legs up/down to fine tune even more.

you can pretty much get it to suite any riding style... and those slack angles start to feel real nice when the speed starts getting up there to match
Ya 3-4 pairs of holes on the frame + 2 holes in shock shuttle if you drill it. Gives you a TON of adjustments. Of course if you are lazy like me, you find one that you like and leave it there.

The 224 will have MANY more adjustments, as all of the shuttle holes become available to all shocks due to the increased clearance.

Remember when i tried it slammed last year? Holy slack batman.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WheelieMan said:
Take a closer look, the pivot location is the only major difference, but that should change how the bike rides immensely.
Yup, well another major difference is the tubeset. The downtube is MUCH smaller, as is the swingarm. They dropped the huge downtube flare and went with a smaller tubeset and wraparound gusset instead.

The frame has managed to drop about a pound due to this.

The new pivot placement apparently makes the floating brake pretty much a thing of the past on this bike.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WheelieMan said:
Huh? How is that going to improve braking performance?
Your guess is as good as mine. I was told that the pivot placement drastically reduced feedback to the drivetrain/suspension during braking.

I can see how it woudl affect chain stretch and feedback to the drivetrain...but not to braking??

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Transcend said:
Your guess is as good as mine. I was told that the pivot placement drastically reduced feedback to the drivetrain/suspension during braking.

I can see how it woudl affect chain stretch and feedback to the drivetrain...but not to braking??
The new pivot placement should definitely reduce pedal feedback, but I do not understand how it would improve braking. The pivot has been lowered (which normally would improve braking), but it was also moved toward the rear tire contact patch at the same time.

I forgot, but did you say if a floating brake is even an option for the 224?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Transcend said:
Did someone really say that to you?

Does the current version affect your pedaling while your slamming on the brakes........and pedaling.......while on the brakes.....and experiencing pedal bob......while braking?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kidwoo said:
Did someone really say that to you?

Does the current version affect your pedaling while your slamming on the brakes........and pedaling.......while on the brakes.....and experiencing pedal bob......while braking?
1- yes

2- wha??

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WheelieMan said:
The new pivot placement should definitely reduce pedal feedback, but I do not understand how it would improve braking. The pivot has been lowered (which normally would improve braking), but it was also moved toward the rear tire contact patch at the same time.

I forgot, but did you say if a floating brake is even an option for the 224?

from what I understand, they haven't decided yet or not whether to make it an option. It sounds like it will not be an option at the current time. That said, they haven't really kicked into production on it yet and are waiting for tradeshow feedback I believe (Eurobike etc).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kidwoo said:
What difference does braking make to the drivetrain?

I was making a funny.......sort of......while kind of being serious.
gotcha.

On the older 22* models, if you got heavy on the brakes, the suspension would have a tendency to stiffen up (obviously) and then extending a bit. As it did this the chain would tighten up. You could actually feel this through the pedals on braking bumps.

The floater on the 223 basically took this feeling away and allowed the rear to stay fully active. Whether it was all placebo or actually did something while riding..hard to say.

It is definetly noticeable in the parking lot (lock brake, push hard on seat) - i could feel the suspension staying more active and the tires hooking up better at a place like Mt Snow with the floater..besides that I never noticed a difference.

I can't figure out how the drivetrain would affect suspension tho...maybe the chain tightening caused the suspension to stiffen up a bit which made the "brake problem" more noticeable? Maybe there was no problem at all...I seriously have no idea about this part. I am gonna be sure to ask when i am out there as to WTf they are talking about.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Transcend said:
I can't figure out how the drivetrain would affect suspension tho...maybe the chain tightening caused the suspension to stiffen up a bit which made the "brake problem" more noticeable?
kinda off topic,
on your 223 do you feel the rear end stiffening up really badly when you pedal hard? coz on my bullit which has a much lower pivot was like a bloddy ht when i had to sprit over some rough stuff. and just looking at the 224 the pivot location is very close to what the bullit has.