Quantcast

24 inches of love

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
scurban said:
DAMMMMMNNNNNNN! that thing is sick! I too am lowering a zocchi for mine! I can't wait to get it. Its almost here for me!

That is a sick bike!
I replaced the ETA cartridge in my ZI with a DJ 3 plunger rod, and then shortened the spring 2" in that leg and added a 2" pvc spacer to the negative spring. That got it low and good, but I messed around with it so many times that I messed up the seals.

Landon has an '03 DJ3 dropped down to about 60mm of travel on his Fall Guy.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
scurban said:
Well, I'm sold, I'm currently selling my gimp, and making the switch to a Tonic Fall Guy. Depending on how fast my current bike sells, I will very shortly be the proud new owner of one of these! I can't wait.
I'm interested to hear how this works out. I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing. I like my Gimp, but I think I would like the feel of the super short chainstays on the Fall Guy. If you could post a comparison of how the two bikes ride, that would be cool.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
Landon said:
Trust,

I can't believe how good your bike looks. Pretty, but tough...the Jody Banks of bikes? Color is the Grey Album.

Fall Guys can be bought at ride-this:

I'm rich!!!

More info about Tonic Fabrication can be found at this fabulously stagnant website:

Check out my melody...

Cheers,

Landon.

wow. they have a really sweet website all of those pictures are spot on.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Scurban,

Sorry man, no white Fall Guys in the next batch. We've got grey, The Green, and baby blue. Is this going to be a big problem? If so, send me a personal e-mail.

Tim, thanks for putting those videos up! I've never seen myself on video untill this. Unfortunately they confirm my suspicion that I won't be invited on Road Fools anytime soon...oh well...

L

ride-mphoto

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Amarillo Texas USA
What a sweet ride.I built a 24" for my son.24" Anwser(Balance)BMX cruiser frame.Rock Shox 80mm fork,Danger Boy 50mm stem,Anwser Hyperlite bars,Race Face cranks,Rocket chain ring,Thompson laidback post and Atom Lab rims. I have a hell of a good time riding "my sons" 24".

Lennart

Chimp
Oct 21, 2005
The Hague, Holland
Hi y'all! I'm new on this forum, so i'll shortly introduce myself.
I'm Lennart, a 30yr old guy from The Hague, Holland (you know, Amsterdam, coffeeshops..) with a passion for riding street and dirt..
I started out on a bmx, and since about 2 months i've become the lucky owner of an AgentBikes Orange (German brand)w 24" wheels. I love riding this bike, but like many of the riders on this forum, i'd wish for a 24" bike wich handles more like a bmx. Especially the ht angle would make a big difference in my opinion (also short cs, but this Orange frame already has ridiculously short stays!)
Now my question is this, i still love my 20", but i notice i am tempted more towards riding my mtb, so i like to know how other people feel who have made a transfer from 20" to 24", especially the FallGuy riders(IMO the sexiest frame to date!)? Do you still have your 20"ers, and if not, do you regret having sold them? Would it be worth it selling my 20" (wich i still love, but ride less) in order to build up a Tonic FallGuy?

Wich brings me to another question for Landon:
Hi! I emailed you a while ago about the availability of Tonic in Europe, or Holland specifically.. Are there any updates on availability of your frames in Europe? My guess is, it will be MoshCore (Germany)..? Anyway, as of when can we be expecting FallGuys ready for order within Europe?
Something else; what's your opinion on the USB Molly frame? It shows quite some resemblence to the FallGuy i think, especially the CS yoke thing..

I'm sorry, this has become more of a story itself, rather than a reaction to this thread.. Please let me know what you think, or thus far, what your experiences have been..

Greetings from Holland!
Lennart

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Lennart said:
Hi y'all! I'm new on this forum, so i'll shortly introduce myself.
I'm Lennart, a 30yr old guy from The Hague, Holland (you know, Amsterdam, coffeeshops..) with a passion for riding street and dirt..
I started out on a bmx, and since about 2 months i've become the lucky owner of an AgentBikes Orange (German brand)w 24" wheels. I love riding this bike, but like many of the riders on this forum, i'd wish for a 24" bike wich handles more like a bmx. Especially the ht angle would make a big difference in my opinion (also short cs, but this Orange frame already has ridiculously short stays!)
Now my question is this, i still love my 20", but i notice i am tempted more towards riding my mtb, so i like to know how other people feel who have made a transfer from 20" to 24", especially the FallGuy riders(IMO the sexiest frame to date!)? Do you still have your 20"ers, and if not, do you regret having sold them? Would it be worth it selling my 20" (wich i still love, but ride less) in order to build up a Tonic FallGuy?

Hi! I emailed you a while ago about the availability of Tonic in Europe, or Holland specifically.. Are there any updates on availability of your frames in Europe? My guess is, it will be MoshCore (Germany)..? Anyway, as of when can we be expecting FallGuys ready for order within Europe?
Something else; what's your opinion on the USB Molly frame? It shows quite some resemblence to the FallGuy i think, especially the CS yoke thing..

I'm sorry, this has become more of a story itself, rather than a reaction to this thread.. Please let me know what you think, or thus far, what your experiences have been..

Greetings from Holland!
Lennart
Lennert,
I think you will be very happy with a fall guy. I've seen many BMX riders jump right on one and instantly feel comfortable enough to do full runs through big long sets of dirt jumps. It really is much more like a 20" BMX than a MTB, with the most favorable qualities of each thrown in. Remember, it has 14-3/4" chain stays. Previously, I owned another brand steel MTB with 24" wheels, but the fall guy rides completely differently, much better for agility as well as stability.

Instead of selling your 20" complete, you may choose to use the cranks, hubs, and other odd parts for the build up of a fall guy.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Yep, what he (Twisted) said. I still have my 20", but don't really ride it very often. I think one of the best compliments that I can give the Fall Guy is that I would NOT even call it a mountain bike. Everyone who rides it pretty much says the same...

Lennart

Chimp
Oct 21, 2005
The Hague, Holland
Thanks for replying guys! Heheh, i guess i'm kind of asking for the obvious.. I already KNOW that i want one, but like mentioned earlier, so far there is no distributor for Tonic in Holland or Europe for that matter. So i'll have to go through quite some trouble to get one here! And still i would have a hard time selling my 20", this has been my trustworthy ride for so long, even though it weighs like 38lbs or so.. (18kg), but its components are not worth to be put on a FallGuy cause i want to build it a lot lighter than my bmx...
(BTW i calculated my Orange's CS are about 14,9.. quite short!)

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Now my question is this, i still love my 20", but i notice i am tempted more towards riding my mtb, so i like to know how other people feel who have made a transfer from 20" to 24", especially the FallGuy riders(IMO the sexiest frame to date!)? Do you still have your 20"ers, and if not, do you regret having sold them? Would it be worth it selling my 20" (wich i still love, but ride less) in order to build up a Tonic FallGuy
I grew up on a 20, but I really have a hard time adjusting to one now. I tried an S&M Black Bike at the track the other night...really nice bike, but it would take me forever to get used to riding, and for what? It's not like I'm trying to qualify for the X-games....I just ride for kicks and don't want to kill myself. Any bike with a fork is going to be easier on your body.

Yeah, we've talked with Moshcore, I do get a fair number of Europeans interested in the bike...it's obvious we need some European distribution. Untill then, either go direct from us, or Ride-This (they've shipped our stuff overseas), or Phat Moose in Canada. We'll be shipping a batch the first week of November.

The USB Molly looks like a really good bike. A clean looking frame made with quality materials by a reputable vendor, so you can't go wrong there. I haven't riden one, but it seems close enough to a Fall Guy that I'm sure I'd like the way it rides. I'd take it over anything else I've seen on the market, with the exception of one other bike. I'm sure you can guess which. Also, I want to point out that we didn't invent the steel chainstay yoke, although I like the way ours looks the most. The first yoke like that I've seen was on a bike called a "Draco" and another bike from "Black Sheep." Just trying to give credit where it's due. There are very few, if any purely original ideas.

The Fall Guy has been a good fit for me and the way I ride. Mostly, I ride dirt jumps with skatepark second. I also race BMX on the Fall Guy as well. I'm a long way from being a good rider, but I ride regularly, and have had the chance to try a lot of other bikes. My impression of the Fall Guy is this: it inspires confidence, without getting in the way. Again, my riding is quite possibly far more limited than yours, but so far, for what I do, it's been excellent.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Landon, the Fall Guy looks awesome. I'd buy one in a second if I could afford it. Good luck with making it big. Have you got MBUK magazine (www.mbuk.com) to review it yet? I suggest you look into that. This scene is huge in the UK, and I'm sure you'd find a good market over there. You have the right style.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I feel that there are too many people trying to fit into some scene.
Is it mountain bike?
Is it BMX?
What the hell, what difference does it make?
Most of us are all hitting the same trails and jumps. Why not have a bike that was made for them?
It is so simple, yet Tonic is the only company making a bike like this.
Tight geometry and a short travel fork!
Duh!

"Um, I need a disc brake on the back."
"I need to shift gears between jumps."
"Big 26 inch wheels are best for smooth dirt jump trails."
People need to wise up and just realize what makes common sense!
I see it over and over again when riders try out a Fall Guy. "Hey, this bike is awesome!" Of course it is, it wasn't designed by some Chinese accountant, like 99% of the bikes out there. It was designed by someone who is an awesome rider and wanted a better bike for himself.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Tonic Fab "Fall Guy" is the best bike out there for dirt jumps, urban, and messing around!

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Yeah, Changleen is right. I'm with you scurban.
I had a couple beers before typing out my little rant last night. I might have gone a bit too far.

I hear that Tonic would like to build up a Fall Guy real nice and send it to "Dirt" magazine for a test. I'm sure it would go over real well with those guys.

Yesterday at our local "Meldrum Bar" dirt jumps there were four of us with Fall Guys. Anyone who hadn't ridden one got a chance to try them out. My buddy Kevin took his riding to the next level on a borrowed Fall Guy, clearing doubles with style that he was casing on his Kona Stuff. He was a mess when he got back on his own bike.

Don't let Landon fool you when humbly speaking of his meager riding skills, he's an awesome ripper!

Lennart

Chimp
Oct 21, 2005
The Hague, Holland
BTW, while staring at it, it looks like the white FallGuy on the left has got a 48spokes rear wheel?? Other than Halo's and Funn, can anyone tell me wich other brand produces 24" rims with 48 holes? Oh, and what about 20mm NON-disc front hubs? (so far i've only found 2 or 3..)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
If you can't afford a Profile, get a Marzo disc 20mm or whatever. The Profile is $116 US, which isn't out of line with a Hope Bulb or Hadley 20mm

A non-disc 20mm hub is an aesthetic thing. If you are that obsessed with the details, you should be able to pay for it. :)

-r
Changleen said:
:thumb: (If you can afford it..)

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Lennart said:
BTW, while staring at it, it looks like the white FallGuy on the left has got a 48spokes rear wheel?? Other than Halo's and Funn, can anyone tell me wich other brand produces 24" rims with 48 holes? Oh, and what about 20mm NON-disc front hubs? (so far i've only found 2 or 3..)
There were actually five Fall Guys there. Shane Knapp was out there riding in the dirt jump Pro Class as we watched.

Landon's white Fall Guy has a 36 hole Atom Lab GI rim with an Odyssey Hazard hub.

I did some parts swapping on my Fall Guy to get it ready for the BMX track. It was 35lbs, now it's 25lbs!
I'll post some pics later.

Lennart

Chimp
Oct 21, 2005
The Hague, Holland
rpet said:
A non-disc 20mm hub is an aesthetic thing.

-r
Not just because of that.. It won't be anytime soon, but once i start collecting parts for a new bike, i'd like to prevent the front wheel from being "dish" shaped, since i won't be running a front brake. Plus, it looks nicer!

Twisted, i can't wait to see your new pics!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
TWISTED said:
There were actually five Fall Guys there. Shane Knapp was out there riding in the dirt jump Pro Class as we watched.

Landon's white Fall Guy has a 36 hole Atom Lab GI rim with an Odyssey Hazard hub.

I did some parts swapping on my Fall Guy to get it ready for the BMX track. It was 35lbs, now it's 25lbs!
I'll post some pics later.
I've never weighed my Revell, and I'm really...resisting.. doing ...so! I recon it's sub 30, but I just don't know. I noticed one of my LBS has a scale hanging in the backdoor though...

Wheels: I run bolt-fixed Profile Disk hubs w. AtomLab 36 hole trailpimps. I have to have front and rear brakes. I love stoppies and I love front wheel stuff in general. Some days I can stoppie further than I can manual. Mind you I suck at manualing.

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
Does anyone know if they make a 24" fork that has canti brake mounts on it? I have a friend that is getting a cruiser bike but he wants a front brake so he can do stoppies and front wheel stalls and other front brake tricks. I can't seem to find any in the searches i have done on the net. All I can seem to find is 26" rigid forks that replace 100mm suspension forks. Any help wouldbe appreciated, becouse his new Dkgenerale lee 24" is coming in soon. Thanks

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
I have a General Lee too, and was on the same quest a while back. Short answer... no. Ideally I'd like a 400mm axle-to-crown rigid fork with a disc tab or v-mounts and a 14mm axle. If you can accomplish what I couldn't post it up, I'd love to have one too. Great bike choice though, here's mine:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
skin6061 said:
Does anyone know if they make a 24" fork that has canti brake mounts on it? I have a friend that is getting a cruiser bike but he wants a front brake so he can do stoppies and front wheel stalls and other front brake tricks. I can't seem to find any in the searches i have done on the net. All I can seem to find is 26" rigid forks that replace 100mm suspension forks. Any help wouldbe appreciated, becouse his new Dkgenerale lee 24" is coming in soon. Thanks
Go to www.danscomp.com, click "bike parts", click "brake accessories", at the bottom of the page is a "V-Brake Plate" adapter for $24.99. He should be able to mount that through the existing hole in his fork (might have to drill one).

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
Thanks guys for the help, he called dans comp and asked if a adapter plate would work and they told him yes. But to get the 990 u-brake adapter plate instead of the v brake plate. That way he could have a matching brake set. So triumphbc you might want to try that also, it's 10 bucks for the plate and 20 for the brake. And since the fork is 4130 you can bolt it to the hole then tack weld it to the fork to make it more sturdy and reduce flex if the bolt ever comes loose.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
You could probably find a framebuilder to weld disc tabs to any steel fork you want.

Also, Identiti and Planet X make 400mm A-to-C rigid forks I think. Funn was supposed to come out with 2 more sizes of the Stiffy too (shorter sizes, that is), but I'm not sure if that ever happened.

-r

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
My 25lb Fall Guy
This is my build for the indoor BMX track, where I just got home from.
This thing is too fast with those 1.75" Holy Rollers. I'm running Truvativ Stylo 175 cranks with a 32t ring, Gigapipe SL BB, Redline Flight cassette wheels with a 13t cog and ryno lite rims. Thomson post and X4 50mm stem, Chris King headset, Tektro brakes with linear shifter housing, a custom Marzocchi MX Comp 80mm fork that has an old style Z1 bolt on crown, and my bling bling gold 1/8" KMC Z chain.

My bike was about 35lbs with the Tuffs and other parts.

Hey scurban, today's PAY DAY!

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Wow. 25 l pounds is pretty darn light... I imagine mine weighs somewhere just shy of 30 lbs, but thats just a guess. The bars and stem I'm running are where I have some room to shed some weight, but I'm not overly concerned with it right now. Maybe next year...

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm also very fond of my profile cranks... I could go lighter there, but I think I'd be sacrificing strength and piece-of-mind. I got a good deal ($50) on a ti spindle, so that helped a little...

In other intesting build up news, I've got a profile 3-speed (BMX) hub ready to build up for next year's 4x / DS... I love my little bike, so I'm going to make it NORBA legal...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
TWISTED said:
My 25lb Fall Guy
This thing is too fast with those 1.75" Holy Rollers. I'm running Truvativ Stylo 175 cranks with a 32t ring, Gigapipe SL BB, Redline Flight cassette wheels with a 13t cog and ryno lite rims. Thomson post and X4 50mm stem, Chris King headset, Tektro brakes with linear shifter housing, a custom Marzocchi MX Comp 80mm fork that has an old style Z1 bolt on crown, and my bling bling gold 1/8" KMC Z chain.

Love the Gold Chain! Especially on the green frame. Also It looks way better 'spoked' than with the Tuffs IMO... I'd run it like that permanently, except switch out to a higher volume tyre, preferably a DMR Moto or something quite light. Oh and do me a favour and push that top tube pad forward slightly more...

Damn I'm bike-vain...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Changleen said:
Love the Gold Chain! Especially on the green frame. Also It looks way better 'spoked' than with the Tuffs IMO... I'd run it like that permanently, except switch out to a higher volume tyre, preferably a DMR Moto or something quite light. Oh and do me a favour and push that top tube pad forward slightly more...

Damn I'm bike-vain...
OK, I slid the pad forward an inch.
Landon has a few sets of 2.3" K Rads, I'll probably get a set from him for the trails, but keep the skinnies for the smooth track. I may put a larger 1.85" Holy Roler on the front for racing.
Tim

Feb 4, 2002
Richland, WA >:-P
Where'd you get those flame decals? They're sick!

TWISTED said:
My 25lb Fall Guy