Quantcast

24 inches of love

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
TheLoneReaper said:
Where'd you get those flame decals? They're sick!
Thanks.
The stickers that Tony, from Tonic, designed for the Fall Guy "The hand of the man who never learns", with the firecrackers and hand with blown off missing fingers and lit match really creep me out.
He's gonna make me some basic "Tonic Fab" decals for my frame.

I got those flame decals from Gary at www.bmxmuseum.com. He's here in Portland just down the road. He's got many different colors and styles. Check out his site. Mine are actually four sets of the black one's. I put one on, then cut up the other three to make the design.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
trust4130 said:
In other intesting build up news, I've got a profile 3-speed (BMX) hub ready to build up for next year's 4x / DS... I love my little bike, so I'm going to make it NORBA legal...
Yeah, that's a pretty cool derailleur hanger Tony made for you. You'll have to post some photos when you get it all put together.
Tim

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
It is a cool hanger, and I just can't thank the Tonic Fab guys enough. I will post some pics up for sure. I have to get the axle switched out to 14mm and then get the wheel built up. That's one of a few winter projects.

In the meantime, here's a (poor quality) pic of me trying to relearn turndowns...

Attachments

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Yeah, nice photo trust. You're so tweeked it's hard to tell which way you're going.

Scurban, Landon had already said he wanted me to grab some Landing Gear decals for his forks. We might make some custom "Landon Gear" one's instead though.

Here's a shot I took of Landon at Softies in Seattle. I'm still trying to figure out my new HP R818 camera. Landon also bought one for his trip to NY and UK. Hopefully he'll have some nice photos to share.

Stay tuned for a photo of a new baby blue Fall Guy.
Tim

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
This is a pretty fun thread! Where are all the haters?

Quick-up date: Had a great time in NY, both Saratoga Springs, and NYC. Visited a very good friend and current bike builder at Serrotta. Really impressed with their facility!
I actually pulled-off a pretty decent XC ride on the Fall Guy while in Saratoga. 2.5 hours and some serious rib pain, but the nice weather and good company made it worth it. The Fall Guy wasn't exactly ideal for the ride or conditions, but I had little fun, including a Dukes of Hazzard style creek jump at the end...I had to do something to justify bringing such an otherwise absurd bike.

NYC was awesome..got to hang with Brooklyn Machine Works, as well as a Puma sponsored messenger, Alfred Bobe, riding one of our Fixed Gears. He got one the hard way: winning it. He's the North American "King of the Track," the fastest fixed gear messenger in the country. He's jazzed on the bike, and that means a lot to me.

Now I'm in the UK, seeing a good friend. Might be able to do some riding while I'm here, who knows? Apparently someone has some good trails here. Hot Tip: I've got the FG stuffed into a hockey bag and haven't been charged at all by the airlines.

Here's a photo of a brake-less bike we built for a fellow in Seattle. Probably the one and only. This is also our stock Baby Blue.

Well, maybe not....I can't figure out how to post a picture here. I'll send this photo to Twisted so he can post it.

Cheers,

Landon.

Attached is a photo of a

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Landon said:
This is a pretty fun thread! Where are all the haters?

Quick-up date: Had a great time in NY, both Saratoga Springs, and NYC. Visited a very good friend and current bike builder at Serrotta. Really impressed with their facility!
I actually pulled-off a pretty decent XC ride on the Fall Guy while in Saratoga. 2.5 hours and some serious rib pain, but the nice weather and good company made it worth it. The Fall Guy wasn't exactly ideal for the ride or conditions, but I had little fun, including a Dukes of Hazzard style creek jump at the end...I had to do something to justify bringing such an otherwise absurd bike.

NYC was awesome..got to hang with Brooklyn Machine Works, as well as a Puma sponsored messenger, Alfred Bobe, riding one of our Fixed Gears. He got one the hard way: winning it. He's the North American "King of the Track," the fastest fixed gear messenger in the country. He's jazzed on the bike, and that means a lot to me.

Now I'm in the UK, seeing a good friend. Might be able to do some riding while I'm here, who knows? Apparently someone has some good trails here. Hot Tip: I've got the FG stuffed into a hockey bag and haven't been charged at all by the airlines.

Here's a photo of a brake-less bike we built for a fellow in Seattle. Probably the one and only. This is also our stock Baby Blue.

Well, maybe not....I can't figure out how to post a picture here. I'll send this photo to Twisted so he can post it.

Cheers,

Landon.

Attached is a photo of a
Landon, See if you can find someone to take you to Harefield jumps (Very West London) if you can. You'll need a local guide though, they're sort of private and sort of hidden.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Changleen said:
Very pretty. I need brakes tho...
Yeah, I don't get the "no brakes" thing. But then, I'm old and don't like to crash. Those BMX guys do some incredible riding that I'll never come close to grasping.

I rode at the indoor track today. 'Had a good time and put in a few real fast, smooth laps on a little orange full suspension bike.;)

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
TWISTED said:
I rode at the indoor track today. 'Had a good time and put in a few real fast, smooth laps on a little orange full suspension bike.;)
I know what little orange bike you are talking about you b@st@rd! I'm jealeous.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
scurban said:
Well, I just got the e-mail,

My fall guy shipped out this morning. It should be on my door step Monday afternoon!

It's been a long time coming, I should have pictures of it built up on here monday night.

The only problem with it coming in on Monday is that there is supposed to be a big storm blowing through Santa Cruz early next week, so I'm worried I won't get to put it to immediate use.

Twisted, How does that little orange full suspension bike ride? If I ever buy a full suspension bike, that will be the one.
Ask me Tuesdsay, after you've ridden your Fall Guy.:thumb:

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Couple of questions......... How much does the frame weight??? and what rear hub is everyone running on them?

Pete

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'm sitting at work right now, every chance I get, I check my e-mail, I look at my UPS tracking, and I keep seeing the same thing 7:03AM out for delivery. Past experience tells me that I'm usually the UPS guys last stop, and most of the time I don't get packages until after 4:30pm. So hopefully its sitting on my door step when I get home! If so, I am building it up tonight, and I will post SEVERAL pictures of it on here tonight.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Nice build...really dig the Landing Gear Stickers!!!!!

Frame weight is currently 5.95lbs.

Any BMX hub will work. The slots are for 14mm, but I'm aware of 3 Fall Guys running around with a 3/8" axle and adaptors. Left side drive, micro grearing, whatever will work.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Frickin sweet! Really nice bike, dude.

Yeah, The Landing Gear stickers are cool. I used to have a PK Ripper, a loooong time ago, but I cracked the chainstays near the BB. I bet you get little kids asking what forks those are.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
if i was made of money...damn that looks sweet!!
though i think the 3-speed hub would be the perfect thing for it!!
but i like afew gears...i notice i only use a few though ...not 9

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
pbskis14 said:
Who makes a 3 speed hub?? Hows it work?

Pete
Check out profileracing.com for the 3-speed bmx hub. I haven't laced it up yet, so no review on its performance yet. (I'm in no rush since the only reason I got it is for MTN X / Dual Slalom next year.)

Note: It is 3/8 rather than 14mm, so you'll need to either get one of the various conversion kits on the market. I going to go with the thread-over kit.

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
scurban said:
I got my first full day of riding in on it yesterday, and I have to say it was amazing. Its got a really tight feel to it. It handles lot like a 20" bmx bike.

It's easy to throw around.

I went to the trails in the morning, and I instantly felt comfortable pumping through the rythems. The bike flows. It was very easy to lift, or drop the front end of the bike depending on what I needed to do. The Seat is in a perfect position to grab with your legs if you want to take your hands off the bars. (although I have yet to try) The short back end on the bike does not make it feel twitchy at all. I was still able to get a good "pop" off of lips as well.

Last night, I went to the local skate park. I've never been able to 180 with such ease.

I initially had a little trouble finding the balance point for manuals, because I was not used to the frame. But after a couple of attempts, I found it, and I for sure have improved the distance I can manual when compared to what I could do on bikes I previously owned.

I know its only been a day, but this thing is awesome.
I've been meaning to ask. How does this bike compare to the On One that you had? I've got a Gimp for street/park stuff, but I'm considering getting a Fall Guy to replace it in the future. I'm the same height as you, so you seem like a good guy to ask.

Also, does anyone know of a 24" 48 spoke rim aside from Funn or Halo? I'm not against these rims, I just want to see if there are any other options out there.

Thanks in advance.

Lennart

Chimp
Oct 21, 2005
The Hague, Holland
butthead said:
Also, does anyone know of a 24" 48 spoke rim aside from Funn or Halo?
Sun's BigFatRim (BFR) like the one in Scurban's rear wheel and also Sun RhynoLite's both come in 24" with 48 holes..
And who can tell me the sizes of the Funn rims? I know the two Sun rims i just mentioned are like 29.2mm wide?
I'm looking for a 24", 48 hole rim wich is about 32mm wide.. I've heard some people had their fat tires (HolyRollers) popping out of the Funn's..
Maybe i should put up a new thread on these rims..?

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
scurban said:
Butthead,

If you like the gimp, you'll love the fall guy. It feels like a lighter, more nimble 24" version of the gimp. The back end is short (which was the downfall of the gimp IMO) It's easy to manual, and much easier to throw around then the gimp is. The fall guy is exactly what I was looking for in a Street/trail/Park bike.
That's pretty much what I was looking to hear. I like the Gimp, but I'm with you on the chainstay length. 17" is a bit long. I ride a little bit of trials (I'm a beginner) and I like the nimble feel of 15" chainstays. I guess I know where my tax return will be spent.

I like the "Landing Gear" stickers, by the way. I had an SE Quadangle when I was younger and it had the original Landing Gear fork.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Here's some photos of Landon and Tony from Tonic playing hooky from work (Oops, who took the photos:D).

And how was YOUR day at work?

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Lennart said:
Lately, i've been spending my days at work looking up as many pics i can find of FallGuys and trying to figure out how to save up enough to order one...
You too, hey? I was considering building up a new DH sled for the spring but something about a fall guy done right is exciting me in a big way. I think it will be a Christmas present to myself. Best. Christmas. Ever.

Anyone have any slick ideas on the cheapest way to get a fall guy shipped to Korea?

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
If ride-this's shipping calculator is accurate I will be a very happy man. This build could turn out to be more reasonably priced than I thought.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Lennart said:
Lately, i've been spending my days at work looking up as many pics i can find of FallGuys and trying to figure out how to save up enough to order one...
I'm still considering to sell my Agent Orange, or just be patient...

It took me a little time to save money as well, but It was well worth the wait!

Be Patient, these are really nice frames!

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
LeRoy said:
You too, hey? I was considering building up a new DH sled for the spring but something about a fall guy done right is exciting me in a big way. I think it will be a Christmas present to myself. Best. Christmas. Ever.

Anyone have any slick ideas on the cheapest way to get a fall guy shipped to Korea?
I know there's a guy in Japan with one. Ask Landon, or he'll eventually see this and comment.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Here's a link to a Japanese fellow (Susumu) who bought a Fall Guy:

http://68060.fc2web.com/

Click on "MTB" and scroll through to find his Fall Guy.

Regardless of what kind of bike is used, it's awesome to people stoked on bikes. Remember "Shoe-G" of road fools fame? Japan has a legacy of some rippers.

I was recently in Taiwan and had the experience of riding with a very good local as well. Check out the Blog at www.mountaincycle.com for a little info this.

Here are some video of Japanese riders. Riding quite well I might add:

http://68060.fc2web.com/mtb/graphics/IMG_4836II.JPG
http://68060.fc2web.com/mtb/graphics/IMG_4835II.JPG
http://68060.fc2web.com/mtb/graphics/IMG_4879III.JPG
http://68060.fc2web.com/mtb/graphics/IMG_4880II.JPG
http://68060.fc2web.com/mtb/graphics/tamauchi.JPG
http://68060.fc2web.com/mtb/movies/2005_08_29hetare_fallguy.mpg
http://68060.fc2web.com/mtb/movies/2005_10_05mani180start.mpg
http://68060.fc2web.com/mtb/movies/2005_10_24baniroto180.mpg