Quantcast

29/26ers

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nah, I'd guess it's 69 degree-ish, maybe 70. Doesn't feel that sharp-handling...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well, first ride was fun. I might go back to having a granny gear, though...all thoughts of singlespeeding it are now put aside. Hills here are steep and I don't ride enough to stay strong enough to SS them.

Actually, some small gearing tweaks will probably be enough to make the 1x8 work. Anyhow, I was surprised at how fast I could take things on a rigid bike. The 29" wheel didn't feel that different to me, but maybe if I'd been running a 26" rigid setup, I'd notice more of a difference.

No toe overlap with my clipless pedals...might be a problem with flats, though. (Do need to swap the Time Zs for some regular ATACs...the Zs don't mesh well with my new shoes.)

So yeah, the meat of it is that I'm happy with the ride. Makes simple things fun again. I noticed the biggest difference with the rigid fork in climbing...things I'd have powered over with front and/or dual suspension tended to hang me up. It's a matter of technique and momentum, for sure...conditions probably weren't the best for my tires, either.

The 2.55 Wierwolf LT was a pretty good tire...rolled fast, gripped reasonably well even in today's moist and slick dirt. Need to drop some pressure on the next ride.

I was happy with my ability to descend techy stuff...I was slower and cautious and didn't get off the ground much, like I might have on a non-rigid, but it was a blast.

So minor tweaks in store for the future, but I see this setup as a keeper for now. Just enjoy the simplicity of doing things the way I did when I started biking and everything was new and fun, minus the need to envy the more expensive and exotic stuff.

Ed: MMcG, no desire for a 29" rear wheel for now...I like my chainstays short
Mike - Great report. Thanks for keeping us informed. The nice thing about that sovereign (among many things) is that you can run a nice big fat rear tire too. And yep as a rule you can run 29er tires sorta more like DH tires with lower air pressure than you would run on 26er tires up front (and in back).

How was the overall handling up front? Did it feel fine? Or did it feel a tad slower (floppier?).

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, here's a question for you 29er guys...do 6" rotors feel, um, adequate with the larger wheels?? I'm going 8", myself.

And I put a chainguide on...was an odd fit with the LX cranks. The last year model before they went outboard, they had a wierd 121mm BB which worked where you'd normally use a 113. Played havoc with the normal fitting...Weagle is going to kick my ass or pass out in horror if he ever sees how much plastic I chopped off the upper slider.

And a new rear tire...anyone like the 2.3 Hutch Pythons?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, a 7" option would be awesome...but I've got oldschool Hayes. I'll probably go 6" in the back if I come across the proper adapter, but the front really calls for something a little bigger than a 6.

(I miss living near BMXman. That dude has every small part you could want.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey, here's a question for you 29er guys...do 6" rotors feel, um, adequate with the larger wheels?? I'm going 8", myself.

And I put a chainguide on...was an odd fit with the LX cranks. The last year model before they went outboard, they had a wierd 121mm BB which worked where you'd normally use a 113. Played havoc with the normal fitting...Weagle is going to kick my ass or pass out in horror if he ever sees how much plastic I chopped off the upper slider.

And a new rear tire...anyone like the 2.3 Hutch Pythons?

I run a rear 2.0 or 2.3 python as a rear tire most of the time at about 25-28 psi. They work well except in sticky mud and loose conditions where an open square knobbed tire can bite into the soil better. But I must add that one of the reasons I like them is I want my rear end to break loose in corners before my front does. So they don't have the best traction but they are very predictable and controllable.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
so it'll be one of those split seat tube frames eh? Sweet.

Rigid though huh? or with the option of going with a suspension fork in front? White Brothers perhaps?

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
.....rigid, steel, ss. I have other bikes with suspension. Between the a-c & the offset of the fork, it would be pretty hard to match the handling with suspension....which is just fine by me. I do not like suspension on my ss at all.

Paragon sliders, internal cable routing, integrated Hopey mount, split ST & the wide BB shell with XBB bearings pressed in (2 per side), so no BB cups.
:)

MikeD...sorry of for the derailment. Are you still living in VA? C-ville area?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Integrated Hopey mount? Now you just sound indulgent. Do you run the Hopey on other bikes as well?

The BB sounds interesting, too...elegant arrangement. But what's this split seat tube arrangement, besides a method of construction? Is it a feature of some sort?

Looks sex-y, all in all...what's the paint going to be?

MD

PS: back on the west coast since last summer...just spent summer 05-summer 06 in the NoVA area, with a few months back there this winter as well. Only sporadic trips to C-Ville, alas.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Integrated Hopey mount? Now you just sound indulgent. Do you run the Hopey on other bikes as well?

The BB sounds interesting, too...elegant arrangement. But what's this split seat tube arrangement, besides a method of construction? Is it a feature of some sort?

Looks sex-y, all in all...what's the paint going to be?

MD

PS: back on the west coast since last summer...just spent summer 05-summer 06 in the NoVA area, with a few months back there this winter as well. Only sporadic trips to C-Ville, alas.
...the Hopeys are nice...especially on a rigid 29er SS. Just another level of security through the nasty east coast rock/ root fields at speed. Also helps to maintain a nice tight line when climbing.

The split ST accomplishes a couple things:
1.) allows for a super short CS length
2.) distributes the load to the outside of the wider bb shell, nice feature for a steel ss...adds some lateral stiffness to the mix.

Undecided on paint...something with a black theme methinks. Still a couple months out yet.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MikeD - check out the wolfhound website for some examples of the builder's work - he does amazing work!

jn - can't wait to see your bike.

Me - I'm sorta diggin the EWR inspired 29er that Thylacine is building.

Cheers,

Mark

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
can't wait to see your bike.
...me too!!!:monkeydance:

I'm sorta diggin the EWR inspired 29er that Thylacine is building.
...can't wrap my head around that one. I want to like the design...but, no. :)

Here's a couple shots of a similar frame with split ST. Mine will be similar.

Attachments

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't go black. That bike deserves something more. Midnight blue or brit racing green if you have to stay dark...but it also seems like silver-y or raw would be very cool, too.

Woodsy bikes look great in all shades of green.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And I still think it's funny that you're taking the elemental bike...the rigid SS...and running a Hopey and a 20mm axle on the fork. That sounds like something only I would do.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
And I still think it's funny that you're taking the elemental bike...the rigid SS...and running a Hopey and a 20mm axle on the fork. That sounds like something only I would do.
...nah, completely obvious thing to do from my perspective. 20mm front wheel is a no-brainer for someone over 200 lbs that abuses their bikes. The Hopey just seems very intuitive to me....personally. When I called Tim Hopey to ask about the mount specs for the frame builder, he asked about the project & said that there is a surprising amount of rigid 29er ss riders ordering them as of late. He seemed to think it would be an awesome complement to the ride (as do I).

Mark, consider that the BB height will remain static...ie. I have no suspension or sag. 11.5" will be perfect for me, I like low bb bikes. :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
...nah, completely obvious thing to do from my perspective. 20mm front wheel is a no-brainer for someone over 200 lbs that abuses their bikes. The Hopey just seems very intuitive to me....personally. When I called Tim Hopey to ask about the mount specs for the frame builder, he asked about the project & said that there is a surprising amount of rigid 29er ss riders ordering them as of late. He seemed to think it would be an awesome complement to the ride (as do I).

Mark, consider that the BB height will remain static...ie. I have no suspension or sag. 11.5" will be perfect for me, I like low bb bikes. :thumb:
Static or not - 11.5 is at the low limit for non-pedal strike riding around here. In fact I'd say up here in CT and MA and perhaps VT and Maine etc. - that'd be too low.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
In other news, I got my 8" rotor adapter and the proper-length grip for the left side of the handlebar last night. Looking less and less frankenbike-ish... Edit: Has ODI changed the lock-on clamps at all lately? My grips came with little bar-end discs, but they won't sit inside the inner diameter of my many-year-old clamps, even if I try prying the clamp a little wider-open with a screwdriver.

Might change up the rear wheel, as the current one is a boat anchor. Just have to find some time to reconvert a thru-axle Hope back to QR. And hope that the bearings aren't toasted.

And maybe I'll steel myself to buy an appropriate rear tire. Just hard to justify when I have a storage cube full of rubber that I'm not using...

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Static or not - 11.5 is at the low limit for non-pedal strike riding around here. In fact I'd say up here in CT and MA and perhaps VT and Maine etc. - that'd be too low.
Being from VT myself, I never had issues with a low bb. My current rigid ss (Inbred 29er) only measures 12".....fwiw.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Well, I am a little Johnny-Come-Lately but I have been riding a Fetish Fixation Frame as a 69er and I have been loving it. Using a Surly instigator fork, only I got short changed on the steering tube and ended up having to use an Avid SAAGO stem.

Recently, I threw on a 26er wheel, and I have to tell you, I am really liking riding this way, too! So, now I am trying every other ride, 26er front wheel and then 29er front wheel and trying to stick to the same trails to compare the differences.

Here it is in 69er mode. Note the rear brake is non disk -- hence its a mullett. The reason is I have been playing wanna-be bike mechanic and installing various components.

http://www.ridefetish.com/image/f/3485/large/IMG_6751.jpg

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So I rode again today, and trashed a bunch of guys on loaded Bullits down the techy local trail...until the last waterbar, when my 29" wheel folded upon landing, jammed in my fork, and sent me wildly otb before I knew wtf was up.

Screw 29" wheels. They are NOT strong enough for how I'm riding. Definitely weaker than 26" wheels...in practical as well as theoretical terms. Not to say they're bad, but not good for me.

I like the rigid thing, though...but I don't want my HA any steeper when I switch back to a 26" (and isn't it awesome that I cut up an old 26" wheel to get the hub for my 29?). MMcG, still have that long Zion fork??

Trashed my body up pretty good, destroyed a nice jersey, killed my front brake, and ruined my ride today. Grrrr.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
So I rode again today, and trashed a bunch of guys on loaded Bullits down the techy local trail...until the last waterbar, when my 29" wheel folded upon landing, jammed in my fork, and sent me wildly otb before I knew wtf was up.

Screw 29" wheels. They are NOT strong enough for how I'm riding. Definitely weaker than 26" wheels...in practical as well as theoretical terms. Not to say they're bad, but not good for me.

I like the rigid thing, though...but I don't want my HA any steeper when I switch back to a 26" (and isn't it awesome that I cut up an old 26" wheel to get the hub for my 29?). MMcG, still have that long Zion fork??

Trashed my body up pretty good, destroyed a nice jersey, killed my front brake, and ruined my ride today. Grrrr.
can't run dished front 29er wheels.

i fold them like clean clothes, trail/dh 29 front NEEDS new 120x20 dishless fronts at the very MIN!!!!

sorry you got hurt, so did i.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks...what are you doing for your 29" front wheels strength-wise?

I imagine if I had any suspension up front, this wouldn't have been as much of a problem. Rigid fronts dish abuse on wheels for sure.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Sorry to hear about the fall. There is something to be said about wheels, actually the spokes them selves that make the extra length in them potentially weaker if they are not set up right.

I just did a 9 mile ride today on the gnarliest, techy dual track (ATV/MX Trails) and I have vowed to never a ride a "mountain bike" rigid again. That is rigid and riding both 26er wheels. I need some squish! Couple of days ago I did my usual workout loop with the Fixation in 69er mode and I have to say that its much way better!

I finally understand how it works and its so much better!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Thanks...what are you doing for your 29" front wheels strength-wise?

I imagine if I had any suspension up front, this wouldn't have been as much of a problem. Rigid fronts dish abuse on wheels for sure.
if you keep on rigid i would use a rim brake, disc wheels
take up WAY to much flange width.

i use a white inverted that has 120 spacing, i build a hub out of a ss rear shell. but riece racing makes a 120 though.

seems fork mfg are learing about putting more rake/offset in them
for trail now they need to adress the hub shell width.

have a look at this ita a good post.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=190125&highlight=ugly+truth

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

Mike what were you using for a front wheel (Rim and spokes?)?

My Zion fork is long gone, but they aren't too expensive via the Jensonusa website if they still have them in stock. There are a bunch of different options out there these days as wel. Maybe a rigid thru axle fork is what you need?

Sorry to hear about the crash - hope you heal up quickly.

Mark

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Salsa Delgado Disc rim, 14g spokes.

Never had a stiffness issue...don't think a 20mm would matter much...the only one I knew of was Woodman, anyhow, and I'd rather have a steel qr fork than an AL fork of any kind. Ed: The Funn cromo weighs 4.7 lbs!!!! Holy crap.

Zion is pretty cheap, so I'll probably just pick one of them up if the 26" turns out to be as steep as I think it will be.

It was a fun experiment until the end...pity it only took two rides for it to happen. Now I need to find ways to keep these abrasions from seeping through my shirt onto my suit...there's really too much to bandage. And I need to find a cocktail fork for my left pinky, since it kinda looks like a Vienna sausage.

MD

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...bummer man. I've been very hard on my stock inbred wheels on the rigid bike & had zero issues. I weighed in at 235 most of the fall & winter and never hesitated to launch it. Who built the wheel?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I betcha the wheel was built by QBP wheelbuilders (maybe they did a rush job or something).

here's a little something I'm experimenting with right now. So far initial reports are two thumbs up!

I present the Schwinn Rocket 88 (er 69er!) reincarneted!

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Wo Dude! Back to the 69er club! Way to go! You got a Skunk works going on there! How does it ride?

Rode mine this morning and it was sooo much better than it as a 26er.

Bring it tomorrow!