Quantcast

29lb Trek Session 9.9

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
someone built a 29.8lb session aluminum with 2 ply tires and a coil rear shock. 29.0 with single ply, no pedals, and an air shock is not very impressive, really.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Let's be realistic here though. 99% of people will be riding that with a coil shock, Al cranks, and Al post (sdg/thomson). While it's not a lot, that's still going to clock you back over 30. While the weight is amazing, let's be realistic about usable weight.

Last edited:

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
In which way you get problems out of it? Is it just a suspension problem and where is it noticable?
Well, in the air it is def less stable, and takes some getting used to. Also, when there are a lot of brake bumps, repeated hits, etc it doesn’t hold it’s line that easy. It is livelier. This may be partly due to me now running a Vivid Air and Boxxer WC, and I was on a Dorado and CCDB for years, so I may need to change the fork and shock settings. Also, the EXO tires roll on the rim I feel, as the side walls are not that rigid as with dual ply tires.

On the other hand it is easier to manouvre on the track, and hop, etc

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Christiaan, what pressure do you ride on EXO now and used to ride on 2plys?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
See quite a few vivid airs at Northstar these days. So I don't see that as a gimmick to get the 'theoretical' weight down. As for the taco, I bash the hell out of my LG1+ with no issues, hack that I am.

What's more interesting is the discussion with Christiaan about how a bike this light rides.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think the most attractive thing to me about these ultra-light frames is that it opens up the possibility of running heavier or more reliable critical parts. I know everybody else wants to go sub 20lb DH bikes that fold twice a year, but if you could take the carbon session frame and throw coil suspension front and rear, big fat disk brakes, and massive, high volume low pressure tires on it, you'd have a bike with a 38lb (ie competitive) weight, and ultra reliable parts with no compromises....THAT's where I think the big payback is.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If the frame holds up, yes. If not, then not.

But seriously, if the carbon frames out there are at least as durable as the aluminium versions of these frames (and I have no doubt about it), you are free to build a sub 30 lbs dh bike or save some money, buy a few burlier bits and get a bike that will rest for a really long time.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Why do people pretend that this is a DH bike? Tires, wheels, brakes, cranks are ALL for XC only. That bike would be dangerous on a proper DH trail.

That shouldn't be called project "flyweight" it should be project "Uselessly long travel xc bike".

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Why do people pretend that this is a DH bike? Tires, wheels, brakes, cranks are ALL for XC only. That bike would be dangerous on a proper DH trail.

That shouldn't be called project "flyweight" it should be project "Uselessly long travel xc bike".
i agree.
id love to try and break one of these light weight bikes....just not have to pay for it when i do.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Well, in the air it is def less stable, and takes some getting used to. Also, when there are a lot of brake bumps, repeated hits, etc it doesn’t hold it’s line that easy. It is livelier. This may be partly due to me now running a Vivid Air and Boxxer WC, and I was on a Dorado and CCDB for years, so I may need to change the fork and shock settings. Also, the EXO tires roll on the rim I feel, as the side walls are not that rigid as with dual ply tires.

On the other hand it is easier to manouvre on the track, and hop, etc
this is because you are on tires that are barely stiff enough to be ridden tubeless on a TRAIL bike.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada

The wheels are Bonty's AM model.. not exactly burly by anyone's standards, but just as heavy duty as some of the lighter custom built race wheels that I've seen out there. The brake's are Elixir's w/ 8" rotors - what's not DH ready about those (for most riders)? Nope, they're not Codes, but loads of riders don't need Codes. The cranks are XO DH cranks, which I have tons of time on, and I easily have more faith in them then pretty much any aluminum crankset out there. They are light given their intention, but up to par. Yes, I know the majority of riders out there think that they chuck harder, go faster and slam stuff so hard that none of the stuff would last, but as a fellow hack I'd have no issues in running any of it (minus the tires). Calling the bike dangerous is a massive overstatement.

I'll give you the point on the tires though.. The EXO casing can roll over, is more prone to punctures and is also much, much more pressure sensitive than a proper dual ply model.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
The wheels are Bonty's AM model.. not exactly burly by anyone's standards, but just as heavy duty as some of the lighter custom built race wheels that I've seen out there. The brake's are Elixir's w/ 8" rotors - what's not DH ready about those (for most riders)? Nope, they're not Codes, but loads of riders don't need Codes. The cranks are XO DH cranks, which I have tons of time on, and I easily have more faith in them then pretty much any aluminum crankset out there. They are light given their intention, but up to par. Yes, I know the majority of riders out there think that they chuck harder, go faster and slam stuff so hard that none of the stuff would last, but as a fellow hack I'd have no issues in running any of it (minus the tires). Calling the bike dangerous is a massive overstatement.

I'll give you the point on the tires though.. The EXO casing can roll over, is more prone to punctures and is also much, much more pressure sensitive than a proper dual ply model.
yep. apart from the tires there's really nothing on there that isn't up to pro level use. yeah the rim longevity is most likely limited, but am rims are pretty standard wc fare, so evidently not off the mark in terms of race run strength.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States

very well said

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Elixir brakes, XO DH cranks and heavy duty trail wheels. The only ****box parts on that bike are the tires. Give me a break.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
They're calling those cranks DH cranks now? Lulz. I had the good fortune of swinging a leg over the carbon session that trek is floating around for the pro reviewers this past weekend. It had basically this same part build (but with fox). I don't think I've felt a pair of flexier cranks on a mountain bike before. The brakes felt like dog sh!t too, the 40 hybrid air was a joke, and well, ya, no thanks on half those parts. This thing was essentially brand new too. I would imagine (hope?) that Trek would be sampling only a bike that had primo parts and was put together perfectly. But maybe I'm wrong?

Frame is sick though.

(P.S. Most of my thoughts were mirrored by the other people testing this bike as well, so its not just me)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've heard more bad than good about elixir brakes with people switching back to codes after riding with them. I have the same design wheels on my trail bike...say what you will, but I'd want something sturdier/designed for DH and not xc/trail riding. No comments on the cranks, but you don't see them on a ton of DH bikes, there's got to be a reason for that.

It's not that people don't go harder, its that they wreck and don't have a trailers worth of stuff to replace anything that breaks. We've beaten this to death, and there are two camps, it's that simple.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the xo cranks are 30g lighter than an e13 or descendant or mrp camber, or whatever.

the xo elixirs may not the ultimate brakes, but they are no lighter or heavier than, say, formula the ones...

plenty of folks run 470-500g rims (ex500, flow, wtb tcs AM race, etc).

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
They're calling those cranks DH cranks now? Lulz. I had the good fortune of swinging a leg over the carbon session that trek is floating around for the pro reviewers this past weekend. It had basically this same part build (but with fox). I don't think I've felt a pair of flexier cranks on a mountain bike before. The brakes felt like dog sh!t too, the 40 hybrid air was a joke, and well, ya, no thanks on half those parts. This thing was essentially brand new too. I would imagine (hope?) that Trek would be sampling only a bike that had primo parts and was put together perfectly. But maybe I'm wrong?

Frame is sick though.

(P.S. Most of my thoughts were mirrored by the other people testing this bike as well, so its not just me)
care to elaborate on the fork?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Those brakes are what most of the world cup ran all year as DH brakes. For some courses they ran code calipers, but the majority of races were on xo calipers. The new Elixir 9s were what was branded as blackbox brakes all season. I've been on mine for a few months and they work great.

Those cranks are stiffer and stronger (as well as lighter) than the majority of Dh specific aluminum cranks on the market.

The reason you do not see the cranks on many bikes yet is that they are not shipping. They are still waiting for them to arrive in stock at SRAM. They will be stock on a bunch of 2012 bikes.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Those brakes are what most of the world cup ran all year as DH brakes. For some courses they ran code calipers, but the majority of races were on xo calipers. The new Elixir 9s were what was branded as blackbox brakes all season. I've been on mine for a few months and they work great.

The reason you do not see the cranks on many bikes yet is that they are not shipping. They are still waiting for them to arrive in stock at SRAM. They will be stock on a bunch of 2012 bikes.
what pros run on the circuit doesnt mean much for us mere mortals. i ran Elixr CR's then Elixr CR levers w/ Code calipers and besides for the nice lever, i didnt like them at all. they certainly didnt have enough power for someone my size. i also just put a set of Elixr 9's on a customer's Firebird and they feel just like my Elixr CR's.....plus we all know how reliable Sram's brakes are :rolleyes:

and the XO DH cranks have been shipping for several weeks now....at least with QBP

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
care to elaborate on the fork?
Typical seal drag of a 40. Adjusters broke for seemingly no reason at all. Lack of LSC. The "hybrid air" seems (not certain, I haven't pulled one apart) to just be an air preload like zoke forks. Which as anyone knows, tends to feel like complete sh!t compared to a properly sprung coil or properly designed air spring.

what pros run on the circuit doesnt mean much for us mere mortals.
Exactly. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that I drag my brakes just a tiny bit more than say...Danny Hart. I know, I know, crazy. But I bet I need a little bit heavier duty brake to stop my ass.

can you name names? I assume you're comparing them to other top of the line cranks? saint? e13's? Atlas FRs or evolves? Cambers? (stiffer and strength wise, weights are easy enough to look up myself)
Alls I know is that everyone remarked how flexy the cranks felt compared to the saints we all run.

I just hate when companies build up some light bike and compare it to all the other builds that mfg. use. How bout you just tell us the weight of the frame, with hardware, sans shock? Why is that so hard when its the only thing that matters?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
also, I've always been curious as to where the major amount of flex in a crank is. My instinct tells me its at the spindle junction and a twisting from the spindle itself. I'd be curious to see quantified measurements from some of the major cranks and see what makes crank from brand A stiffer then brand B. I know based on my experience, that unless a crank is a noodle (see, gravity lites) they all feel pretty stiff. Although I can definitely tell the difference between xt, say, and saints, the difference between two DH cranks seems alot more blurry to me.