Quantcast

35lb JEDI!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
35 lbs 15oz's
OK its official without running single ply tires and drilling out stuff and running xc stuff!
everything is as I race/huck it and trust it. No weird weight savings etc....
Now theres going to be some up and downs but not much.
1: theres 3.5 scoops of stans per tire so I can run 1 per and be good.
-141g for less stans
2: the tires are heavy duty casings not single plys and they weigh approx. what my UST race tires weigh.
+80g for race tires HD
3: the thomson is coming off tomorrow and the twenty6 is going on
-50g for twenty6 stem

Also I will be building a wheelset laced to 721s or 5.1s for race that will shed 150g +

So my weights will hover between 35+ and 36+ ride/race ready! :thumb:

Saved some more weight over the Thomson stem! :thumbsup: with hardware the twenty6 was 130g the thomson X4 50mm was 180g so 50g less.

Build:
jedi large
roco wc air
boxxer wc
thomson x4 50mm stem
I9 wheelset 6.1 front dps 32 hoop rear
schwalbe black shark mud Heavy Duty casing 2.25 tires (just shy of a maxxis 2.5)
Middleburn rs7 cranks
xpedo mag pedals
King Ti headset
Answer pro taper OS bars
Formula the one disc brakes 203 front 165 rear
XO der
X9 shifter
ODI rogue Long grips
SDG Ibeam
SDG Ifly saddle
XTR cassette 11/34
34th dangerboy DH chain ring
E-13 LG1 guide

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice ride! You've sure tried just about every setup on that frame, huh? I bet it rides exactly like you want.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nice ride! You've sure tried just about every setup on that frame, huh? I bet it rides exactly like you want.
Just about! :D
It rides really good, the fork is the last thing Im playing with.

fox 40rc2 (07) was impressive actually liked it alot. It did suffer from not enough compression.

888 wcata (08) love the fork period stupid plush and holds its line in chatter and rocks really well, weights kind of an issue but not a big one.

66RC3 (08) LOVE the fork!!!!!!!!! No issues baddest fork on the planet!

the WC (08) so far I like it, a little tricky to learn the differentrt curves and speeds platforms etc.. But a couple of good varied terrain rides and Ill have it dialed. Love the weight and the plushness so far is good.

They all have pluses and minuses definently a ton of positive and a thing or 2 not negative just kind of so so. Now my tried and true trusty little 66RC3 is SICK!!!! The weight is up a little but the way it soaks up big hits and inspires confidence is unreal. Thats my ace in the hole when push comes to shove pushing stuff.

Rode a Totem around and sold it, good fork just not for me, no comparision to the 66 RC3 IMO, great fork but didnt make me as comfortable as the 66.

BTW: Nice SX, eventually Ill build one up I think. I keep going back to it and have for a while for a play bike. It was there with my intrest in the Chumba EVO, which BTW rode like a champ. Thing was off the hook balanced and stable. So I imagine the SX is there as well based on reviews.

Last edited:
May 6, 2004
Why have you decided to drop Big Bettys? I remember you were so very positive about them.
Otherwise, sick spec, I need to revise mine too.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Why have you decided to drop Big Bettys? I remember you were so very positive about them.
Otherwise, sick spec, I need to revise mine too.
Didnt drop the bettys, Im running these next weekend from a 4k shuttle through snow mud slop and more mud. Big Bettys rock!!!!!! As do the Muddy marys Im beyond pleased with their performance. These are just a MUD only tire and the run we are doing is for the heavy duty spikes or else they wouldnt be on there.
Thats all i just have a ton of schwalbe stuff and these are the right tools for the terrain, aside of that these arent for hard pack, roots or anything but nasty mud and really gumbo stuff where traciton is based on who has the biggest spikes! :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Are middleburn cranks worth it or are they that kind of part that you need to replace often because they look flexy.
2 years I have been beating these, they have smashed into objects, the ground, rocks and held my 240lb self (with gear :D) up on hucks to flat. My BB is ISIS and its still going strong and its been in there since day 1.
I was beating these at the bike park 4 weeks ago before the weather went belly up, overshooting a step up and getting out approx. 35' and comng in from almost 9' up to almost flat. Sherrifs were there taking pics so I pushed a little bit. Done the jump 12 or more times all within the same landing and of course raced them all last season etc... They've been from N idaho to bootleg, multiple resorts, tunnels and the SB trails, Socal and alot of other places. To say I trust them is an understatement. At times I push stuff too hard and they have always come through.

They are cold forged! :thumb:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
2 years I have been beating these, they have smashed into objects, the ground, rocks and held my 240lb self (with gear :D) up on hucks to flat. My BB is ISIS and its still going strong and its been in there since day 1.
I was beating these at the bike park 4 weeks ago before the weather went belly up, overshooting a step up and getting out approx. 35' and comng in from almost 9' up to almost flat. Sherrifs were there taking pics so I pushed a little bit. Done the jump 12 or more times all within the same landing and of course raced them all last season etc... They've been from N idaho to bootleg, multiple resorts, tunnels and the SB trails, Socal and alot of other places. To say I trust them is an understatement. At times I push stuff too hard and they have always come through.

SO your saying they are great east coast cranks. Well its either that or saints. This might call for a poll.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
why get it so lite bully ? your just going to brake it.
Not worried about it, its a stout proven build.
Its always been sub 38lbs, the difference is tires are lighter than my minions by a fair amount and the fork is over a lb lighter than my 66 or 888 wc ata.
Im running UST and HD casings they come in around 900-1000g my minions came in at 1400+g per tire so there was a huge chunk as well.
I havent sacraficed anything thankfully. I tend to actually trust a dual crown more than a single and I trust my 66 with my safety and health!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
SO your saying they are great east coast cranks. Well its either that or saints. This might call for a poll.
Yep! The fact the are cold forged is a huge bonus to strength to weight. Chris and I were talking about that yesterday and he has another set of cold forged cranks but would like to get a set of Middys! :thumb: I honestly figured Id bend them withing a few months of getting them and prepared for it. I have no reason to replace them, some scuffs and rock hits but straight and true.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Yep! The fact the are cold forged is a huge bonus to strength to weight. Chris and I were talking about that yesterday and he has another set of cold forged cranks but would like to get a set of Middys! :thumb: I honestly figured Id bend them withing a few months of getting them and prepared for it. I have no reason to replace them, some scuffs and rock hits but straight and true.
Yes you sound very convincing but are they light? (the deal-breaker) and would you reccomend the isis or the st

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yes you sound very convincing but are they light? (the deal-breaker) and would you reccomend the isis or the st
ISIS all the way, I have a few guys I ride with here and in SLocal that have replace the bearings atleast once if not a couple of times on outboard set ups and Im still rocking my first ISIS. Id stay clear of square taper... They bore out unfortunently. ISIS is still a good set up.
Yep! As light as a DH crank will come and it came in over a 100g+ on the next set I put together. Hooks DHs and gravity lights were heavier as were XTs.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
so light-and i thought mine was going to be the sickest lightest thing. o well
I could build my Sea Otter build and shave another pound :thumb:
Freeride tires 150g, 5.1s or 721s another 200g and 1 scoop of stans per tire instead of 3.5 saving another 140g!

LMAO!

Youve got a jedi and sick builds in the past I have no ? its going to be SICK!!!!!!!!!:cheers:
Actually cant wait to see it!

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
*From the 2010 Boxxer post*

I don't know what my Middleburn status is with them anymore. I've been sending them emails but never receive a response. I do however have 2 brand new sets of RS-7's 170mm black with a 4 bolt dual spider, they are both for sale. (one set maybe spoken for, I just need to call him & see if he still wants them).

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
nice build bullcrew!

what bottom bracket are you using with the RS7s?

my jedi is still sitting in the basement unbuilt and i was considering buying saint cranks for it but i still have an old set of RS7... which collect dust on the fatty fat hanging of the wall...

damn i am pathetic :(

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
nice build bullcrew!

what bottom bracket are you using with the RS7s?

my jedi is still sitting in the basement unbuilt and i was considering buying saint cranks for it but i still have an old set of RS7... which collect dust on the fatty fat hanging of the wall...

damn i am pathetic :(
There aren't many BB available for 83mm shells. I use a FSA Platinum DH for my Middleburns. Truvativ also makes one.

May 6, 2004

These are mine. Some of the anodising gone but for $70 there is nothing to complain about.