Quantcast

38 Sunday

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Hey Fatty. Whenever you wanna ride brotha (at 38) I'll give ya the tour. Of course that means, you gotta give me the tour down in your neck of the woods...:)

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
fattyfat1 said:
...so no, they can't cite you for riding. if the scenario trailhacker touted was true, we would need a manual to enter the woods. it would look like fishing and hunting regs. ...
You are misinterpreting what I am saying. I did not say you couldn't ride there. I simply pointed out that if you think just because there is no signs they can't cite you than you are wrong.
The "scenario" I "touted" is an example of just that. I watched them write citations to people shooting, and in mid conversation with them they pulled away and went and cited people riding dirtbikes on the road.
Maybe you and your law/lawyer friends and family don't believe in personal responsiblity, but I think, and I could be wrong, that its your responsiblity to know the rules and regulations for any given area you intend on visiting. Its not the sheriffs or rangers responsibility to hold your hand and explain the rules to you.
I don't fish or hunt, but I don't remember seeing signs at every spot you could hunt or fish at telling you what was acceptable and what wasn't. I believe that it is your responsibility to know what the rules are if you choose to participate in those activities.
"But your honor, there wasn't any signs telling my client they couldn't just shoot bears whenever they wanted to"
"I see your point, all charges of illegal bear poaching are dismissed"
$.02
As for clear-cutting, I think the whole I-90 corridor from Snoqualmie-ish to Issaquah-ish has been set aside through many land swap deals to be the "Mountain to Sound greenway" or something like that. I also understand that we as the people got pretty screwed on those deals, but we will have a uninterupted greenbelt from the mountains to the sound in theory.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Well, at Duvall specifically, there is a sign that says 'no riding bicycles off the road' when you enter onto the dirt road. The shooter getting a ticket is a given and the motorcycle guys are probably not street legal to even ride on the road.
As well as not in a designated area. Those two user groups have been getting busted for yrs. The cops are pretty well tuned into them. Not so much with us yet (mountainbikers). Soon to come I'm sure....

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
largextracheese said:
Well, at Duvall specifically, there is a sign that says 'no riding bicycles off the road' when you enter onto the dirt road.
But when you come in from the Monroe side, there are no signs. Not even one with the name of the forrest.
So using the logic cited above I could plead ignorance because I always come in the other way?

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
trailhacker said:
But when you come in from the Monroe side, there are no signs. Not even one with the name of the forrest.
So using the logic cited above I could plead ignorance because I always come in the other way?
That's right! So go tear it up turbo monkey! :dancing:

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
trailhacker, you ms interpreted what i said. your bear hunting analogy is good but you forgot the most important part. hunting and fishing rules are posted in a set of regulations that are available at any sporting goods store. thats how people know if an area is legal to hunt/fish, what animals are ok to harvest and how many.the forests and lakes, pugetsound are all broken up into units. in the regs. there is a map of the units that allow sportsmen to figure out what areas are open or not, this allows fish and game a standardized set of rules for the whole state, this way they don't have to post whats open to fish or hunt at the site of rec. its all in the regs. that makes it the fishermans/hunters responsibility to know where he can go. 38 is not posted at the site. there is no set of regs. or other retrievable form of documentation to say it is closed to the mtb's. therefore you can plead ignorance because how were you to know it was closed. did dnr give all mtb'ers the vulcan mind meld to get the word out? it is not closed, ride the piss out of it cause it'll be gone soon. have fun,don't get hurt, and happy trails!

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
i think certified drunk, largextracheese, and i are all on the same page. i can't tell or don't know were these other whiners are getting their misinformation, but it's actually really funny how ignorant people can be. tresspassing! you've got to be kidding right? are you really that far out there? he probably voted for bush anyways..........

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
That's a pleasant statement. Did you not read above about organizing a trail day? Have you done any work up there? I have. Many times. I'm personally interconnected with alot of the riders up there and have had extensive conversations about the topic. I've had my own trails shut down and definitely want to preserve this one. By me saying "until someone says, 'No way Jose'". I 'm meaning that I have seen no patrols up there, and until I see some, I'm down. I consider myself pretty common sensical when it comes to most things, including this subject. By reading the letter above (from the Ranger), It tells me that we need to do some work up there to shine a good light on our activities. It's been there awhile and I don't lay claim to it, but I do care about what happens and would like to be proactive. "We don't need people like you'? Yes you do. I'm up there I'm sure more than yourself, as I live very close. Hell, we've probably rode together! Don't get nasty. This is about bikes man!! BICYCLES!!! Get ahold of yourself.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
everyone who is passionate about this topic should visit the gorge freeride associations website. see what they do. ask yourself why people in seattle don't do the same thing. it's three guys, they opened up a huge freeride area LEGALLY! check em' out. and hey large, number one way to help 38 would be to completely remove any trail that can be seen by the road. when we build trail down here, we dont have an entrance or an exit that is obvious. trail will begin and end 50' from road. this keeps treehuggers and atv'ers from seeing it. we also park shuttle rigs so we ride 1mile to trail start and 1 mile from trail to bottom rigs. this keeps concerned homeowners and otherwise nosey people away. that lower section on 38 is a blast but it's gotta go away to protect the rest of the trails up there. plus seattle people build a bootleg trail then tell everyone about it. i live in redneckville 5 miles from oregon and i heard about it and rode it several times before i became a monkey. the best way to protect your trail is to clean it up,be discreet, and tell everyone to keep their big mouths shut next time.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I think it's alittle too late for hiding things. The man has no doubt seen the trails over the last yrs. it's been there. I think, leave it be, but dress it up. Make it right. People like that place because it is so raw. I like it for that as well. It can still keep that feel, but be shored up in spots and well drained. It's the recent cutiting of live trees that's got me worried. That's a no no. They cut the tree right in the stunt fall zone as well. A big stump to impale yourself on...nice. I'm attending a meeting soon about another area, and will have alot of the locals in attendance. I'll make a point of bringing 38 up. SeanD will be in attendance as well. Maybe get a posse to do some work.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I would like to enter into evidence as exhibit A, your Honor, this letter from the Snoqualmie Ranger District clearly stating the area is not currently closed to mountain bikes...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Certified Drunk said:
How can you say it's tresspassing on public land?

Can anyone prove it's closed? I dont want to hear about you talked to someone! I want to see it on the DNR letter head paper.
If you are somehow saying it is LEGAL you are out of your mind....you know it is not.

If it was legal there wouldn't be any concern.

I am pretty sure the White house is "public land" but you sure as **** will get shot if you try to drop the Oval office's roof. :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
fattyfat1 said:
Are you really that far out there? he probably voted for bush anyways..........
Well if Clinton had his way we would not be allowed in there at all. ;) Wilderness Roadless initiative and all....what a crock

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
rhino shoots nonsense out his mouth like an ass w/ explosive diahrea! you have no facts man! maybe if you had some logic to back up your e-pinions in this little debate, someone would take you seriously. these comments you are bringing to the table are hilarious! please stay in this thread so i can laugh w/ all my friends about the guy who can argue his no-point, no-fact opinion for five pages like a.... well i guess a rhinoceros would if it could talk!

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
this is a letter i got today from one of the guys in the gorge freeride assc.
Trevor,
Thanks for the letter of appreciation I'm stoked you come all the way down from Kelso to ride our trails. Pipe fitter/welder huh? Well I saw this cool teeter totter that would pivot 90 degrees as it lowered you but the mechanics of it was a little ghetto so I had this idea of using a drive shaft. I figured if I cut it so there was about 6 inches of drive shaft on either end of universal and then welded 3/8 plates on either end I could lag bolt it into a massive stump and a 2x12 plank. What do you think of my idea?, suggestions are welcome. Essentially I need to have a giant ball joint as the fulcrum. I have all kinds of strange stunt designs though at the moment we're focusing on jumps especially since I 'm not really confident on the kickers. I don't know if you've seen our gigantic dirt landings at the end of CHORUS trail but we'll have seven kickers ranging from 10-40 foot gaps. The County approved the trail and the landings but we're still waiting on the wooden kicker design approval. They're 14 feet long and 6 feet tall with a 14 foot radius and they'll be moveable so people can push them forward or back depending how big they want to go. We need pressure treated lumber for that so if you have any 2x4x3 scraps for rungs it would be great if you could bring it on down and dump it by the landings. Access is from Riordan Hill Drive about 4 miles up on the left. Well Trevor thanks again I'll keep you posted on the trail progress.
Laters, Douglas

my name is trevor and i live in kelso. i've ridden post many times and love the terrain and stunts. what you guys are doing is great! i am a blue collar guy w/ a family so i don't have alot of time and even less money, but i would like to help anyway i can. i've ridden these trails and i feel like i owe it to the builders to lend a hand if needed. i am a pipefitter by trade but i have construction skills and fix everything myself. i can also weld. if you are in need of assistance, please let me know. i have a truck w/utility trailer, and i can probably hook you up w/ some lumber. i have any and all the tools needed for trail maint./construction. thanks guys! some of my best freeriding memories come from post! (and whistler, of course!)

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
so can i! anyhoo, these guys in hood river are great! wait till you check out these trails! there is so much built in post already it is incredible! its a long drive for you northerners, 4 hrs., but well worth it. these trails are legal and the county is cool w/ the stuff these guys build there as long as they get permission first. they have approved all wooden structures as long as they are sound and built of pressure treated lumber so as to not deteriorate, hence making them safer. egg drop for example is wood to wood landing 12' out and 22' of drop to tranny. been there since last year and is fully approved by county! this is just one of the many sick stunts they have there. they are stepping up the building because of the gorge games as you can read in above e-mail i recieved. every season has gotten more stunts that really step it up from the year before. if you ride there consistently as you progress so do the stunts these guys build, and it makes every ride and every season there new and x-citing! mad props to gorge freeride asscociation for being a voice in our regard! seattle needs some people who are willing to fight for a place like this closer to home that they can call their own. large, you have a loud voice and a stong willingness to make changes. maybe it should be you! i'll gladly be a part of anything you start!

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
There are some things similar in the works up here. It's just taking some time. I just got back from 38. I went up to make sure my bike is prepped for Whistler and to do some trailwork. The trails overall are in good shape because of the mild winter. Some parts are in dire need. That forest in the evenings sure does have some strange sounding birds/ animals. It's prettty spooky up there when the sun sets. You start seeing things out of the corner of your eye that aren't actually there. Boogy men all over the place!!!!!

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Don't go too harsh on Rhino, Fatty. I met him at PA and he's a pretty nice fellow. These damn forums get all of us at each others throats when it comes to topics like this.....

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
This about riding bikes! We are not criminals. Some of you guys are in to politics and you feel you need to express your self. Please go, I dont want to listen to you. Some of us are on the same page here and feel we need to push back.

You cant tell me you never break the law! The persons who say I never break the the is lying. Some us push it a little :D

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Certified Drunk said:
This about riding bikes! We are not criminals. Some of you guys are in to politics and you feel you need to express your self. Please go, I dont want to listen to you. Some of us are on the same page here and feel we need to push back.

You cant tell me you never break the law! The persons who say I never break the the is lying. Some us push it a little :D
It's all my fault. I made the mistake of asking what the status was at 38!!!! Blame the Beaver! :rolleyes:
I've never broke any laws in my life...oh wait..does skipping school when I was 15 and drove my friends car around all day count?!! :eek: :sneaky: :devil:

***can we all get along now***

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Bullitrider said:
What do you think wilderness is? Don't get me started.
As defined by Clinton and the "wilderness" inititive?

Not pristine.

Not roadless.

I sat in on discussion groups when the **** went down in the closing months of Clintons term. So go ahead and start...buck-o ;)