Quantcast

4 day roadtrip ideas (trail riding) for this summer

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok...since myself and some friends are gonnna turn 40 this year, we are looking to plan a 4-5 day trip to a fun riding spot. we used to do this on a regular basis until several of us starting having kids. we are spread out but mostly in the east (OH, DE, MA, CA) so that is a consideration. riding good trails is definitely key, but ease of getting there and social amenities also rate highly. i am figuring on something like travelling thur-mon, which would yield 3 days of riding and burn only 3 vacation days. criteria:

- fun singletrack
- should be able to get to the destination via direct flights from the various states
- after-ride entertainment options

with that in mind, i was thinking of Phoenix or Denver. initially i was also considering slatyfork WV or the pisgah/tsali area of NC, but that may not be so easy to get to in a fast, direct manner. any obvious ones i'm missing? this particular group has been to Bend, Brian Head, and Sedona already so someplace new would be nice.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
ok...since myself and some friends are gonnna turn 40 this year, we are looking to plan a 4-5 day trip to a fun riding spot. we used to do this on a regular basis until several of us starting having kids. we are spread out but mostly in the east (OH, DE, MA, CA) so that is a consideration. riding good trails is definitely key, but ease of getting there and social amenities also rate highly. i am figuring on something like travelling thur-mon, which would yield 3 days of riding and burn only 3 vacation days. criteria:

- fun singletrack
- should be able to get to the destination via direct flights from the various states
- after-ride entertainment options

with that in mind, i was thinking of Phoenix or Denver. initially i was also considering slatyfork WV or the pisgah/tsali area of NC, but that may not be so easy to get to in a fast, direct manner. any obvious ones i'm missing? this particular group has been to Bend, Brian Head, and Sedona already so someplace new would be nice.
Basing yourself out of Denver would be a great idea... tons of great riding (Frutia etc) and you are about, what,3 hours? from Moab?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8, have you been to Denver? if i wanted to ride Fruita, Grand Junction would be the place to stay. it's probably a 7 hr drive from Denver to GJ, and if i remember it's at least 90 min from GJ to Moab.

if we were in Denver, we'd do the Front Range stuff.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
N8, have you been to Denver? if i wanted to ride Fruita, Grand Junction would be the place to stay. it's probably a 7 hr drive from Denver to GJ, and if i remember it's at least 90 min from GJ to Moab.

Yes I've been to Denver but haven't been to Frutia nor Moab from there but I have friends who live there who do weekend runs Moab/Fruita and back. But as a base of operations it looks like a great place to be. How about hitting Crested Butte... all my western ride buds LOVE it there.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:

Come to Denver! I'll get some free time to ride with you guys. GJ is ~3-1/2 hours from Denver. Fruita is another 15 minutes past that, and Moab is about an hour from GJ.

When are you guys thinking? Summer?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Salida could be fun. You could fly to Denver, ride in Boulder a day, ride in Winter Park a day, ride Monarch Crest one or two days. That would involve a bit of driving in between, but not bad at all.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it would be best if we could have one central place to stay, so we wouldn't have to pick up our stuff and trudge from one hotel room to the next (keep in mind we'll have bike boxes to deal w/ too). we are not averse to doing some travel to get to good trailheads; when we were @ Bend, we did most of the rides outside (mac river, lava/sparks/edison, and one ride in the cascade lakes region).

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
it would be best if we could have one central place to stay, so we wouldn't have to pick up our stuff and trudge from one hotel room to the next (keep in mind we'll have bike boxes to deal w/ too). we are not averse to doing some travel to get to good trailheads; when we were @ Bend, we did most of the rides outside (mac river, lava/sparks/edison, and one ride in the cascade lakes region).

SS has some space at his place....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
Summit County. Stay in Frisco and ride Keystone, Breck, Vail, Winter Park - even Monarch Crest would be an easy day trip from Summit. Hell - Fruita would be a not-too-hard day trip from there.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
SkaredShtles said:
Good suggestions. I'd replace Capt. Jacks with the Commando Run in Vail, though. Topped off by the greatest XC descent I've ever been on. :thumb:
Never been to Vail. We were going to go for the World Championships in 2001 but getting there got impossible.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Seriously, I have a really great friend, Paul (SS met him while I was in Denver), who owns a condo at Breckenridge. He leases it out all year long. It's located at the base of Peak 9 (200 yd walk to lift and to downtown).

If you lease it directly from him you can save some $'s.

I'm not sure if Breck is too out of the way for what you want to do though...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
N8 said:
Seriously, I have a really great friend, Paul (SS met him while I was in Denver), who owns a condo at Breckenridge. He leases it out all year long. It's located at the base of Peak 9 (200 yd walk to lift and to downtown).

If you lease it directly from him you can save some $'s.

I'm not sure if Breck is too out of the way for what you want to do though...
Frisco would be a better "central" option, but only by about 15 minutes. Breck would be a good place to stay.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
Frisco would be a better "central" option, but only by about 15 minutes. Breck would be a good place to stay.
How is Breck for skiing? Paul said his condo fills up fast during the season...

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
narlus said:

More realistically (as I have made this drive many times) is that the denver to GJ route is about 5 hours assuming you can cruise at at least the speed limit and Moab is 'round 6.5....very doable. The southern end is where it's at though...Durango, Gunnison, and Crested Butte are among my personal favorites for bike riding and you can fly directly into Durango and base yourself from here. Silverton, Fruita, Crested Butte and all the southern favorites are within a 3 hours drive (actually, I think Fruita is closer to 4...but I've never made it from there. From Denver, Durango is about 5-6 hours...So that's feasible too.

Hope that helps and If there's anymore info I can help you with regarding Colorado bike riding hit me up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Good suggestions. I'd replace Capt. Jacks with the Commando Run in Vail, though. Topped off by the greatest XC descent I've ever been on. :thumb:
give me some ideas as to travel distances to these rides, if we are based in Denver.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
axlvid23 said:
More realistically (as I have made this drive many times) is that the denver to GJ route is about 5 hours assuming you can cruise at at least the speed limit and Moab is 'round 6.5....very doable. The southern end is where it's at though...Durango, Gunnison, and Crested Butte are among my personal favorites for bike riding and you can fly directly into Durango and base yourself from here. Silverton, Fruita, Crested Butte and all the southern favorites are within a 3 hours drive (actually, I think Fruita is closer to 4...but I've never made it from there. From Denver, Durango is about 5-6 hours...So that's feasible too.

Hope that helps and If there's anymore info I can help you with regarding Colorado bike riding hit me up.
i've spent a week riding in Durango and it's probably my favorite xc place i've been to yet, but i'd really like to limit plane changes, esp if small aircraft is involved. when we rode Moab, we flew to SLC and then a small craft to Grand Junction so we ended up ground frieghting our bikes to a shop in Moab becuase there's no way 5 bike boxes could fit in the small plane which took us to GJ. there are pros and cons to travelling w/ and w/o yr bikes, and that decision hasn't been made yet.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I really liked our Winter Park ride last summer. Good singletrack and views...some nice rocks and roots.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
narlus said:
the pisgah/tsali area of NC,.
Well, since you mentioned it,
You can fly directly into Asheville, stay there the whole time, and ride for three days straight and hit a ton of fun stuff with hardly any driving at all. Now, if you want to hit up Tsali, it is about an hour and twenty minutes or so north of Asheville. If you have never ridden it, I would recommend it for sure. Its fun and the views are awesome.
Asheville has a cool downtown to keep your occupied, just don't sniff the hippies.
I could come to Pisgah and show you guys around.
The only reason I can think of for you not to come here is simply that you are already on the East Coast. And EC singletrack, as wonderful as it is, is the same from here to Canada, so the riding may not be that different for you. But yeah, Pisgah has the goods.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Heidi said:
I really liked our Winter Park ride last summer. Good singletrack and views...some nice rocks and roots.
where did you guys stay? if a CO native or person in the know can give some relative distances between Denver and places like Winter Park, Salida, Vail, etc?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Jeremy R said:
Well, since you mentioned it,
You can fly directly into Asheville, stay there the whole time, and ride for three days straight and hit a ton of fun stuff with hardly any driving at all. Now, if you want to hit up Tsali, it is about an hour and twenty minutes or so north of Asheville. If you have never ridden it, I would recommend it for sure. Its fun and the views are awesome.
Asheville has a cool downtown to keep your occupied, just don't sniff the hippies.
I could come to Pisgah and show you guys around.
The only reason I can think of for you not to come here is simply that you are already on the East Coast. And EC singletrack, as wonderful as it is, is the same from here to Canada, so the riding may not be that different for you. But yeah, Pisgah has the goods.
Not to mention you can bring your white water kayaks and hit the Nantahala and Ocoee for some paddle fun!

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
In the Summer?

I would scratch Phoenix and Fruita/Moab off the list due to the high temps and Bend off the list due to the quality of the riding.

Denver would be great, Sedona is pretty easy flying into PHX, and Tahoe (flying into Reno) would be a good choice as well.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
We stayed at the resort - it was pretty cheap relative to everything else. It was only a couple hour drive from Boulder - all depends on construction. It seems they are reconstructing every highway in Colorado. It was another 4 or 5 hours it seems to Salida. Again...traffic due to construction. We stopped in Leadville for lunch. In Then the drive up to the top of Monarch was under an hour I believe. Some locals should verify all this..I was on vacation time :)

narlus said:
where did you guys stay? if a CO native or person in the know can give some relative distances between Denver and places like Winter Park, Salida, Vail, etc?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
Not to mention you can bring your white water kayaks and hit the Nantahala and Ocoee for some paddle fun!
you are full of useless suggestions, aren't you? :rolleyes:

this from a guy who couldn't manage to bring a bike to CO, but is recommending that i bring a kayak along too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
give me some ideas as to travel distances to these rides, if we are based in Denver.
Commando Run - 1:45 to trailhead. Needs to be done as a shuttle.

Captain Jacks is probably slightly closer.

Monarch Crest is about 2-1/2 hours to the pass. Needs to be done as a shuttle.

Winter Park - 1:30 to the area.

Summit County - around 1:30 to trailheads.

Come to Denver.................... :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
justsomeguy said:
In the Summer?

I would scratch Phoenix and Fruita/Moab off the list due to the high temps and Bend off the list due to the quality of the riding.

Denver would be great, Sedona is pretty easy flying into PHX, and Tahoe (flying into Reno) would be a good choice as well.
the actual timing hasn't been nailed down, so yr PHX warning is a good one. i'm gonna see what flights to G-Ville or Asheville are like, and also get a read into Denver flights.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Commando Run - 1:45 to trailhead. Needs to be done as a shuttle.

Captain Jacks is probably slightly closer.

Monarch Crest is about 2-1/2 hours to the pass. Needs to be done as a shuttle.

Winter Park - 1:30 to the area.

Summit County - around 1:30 to trailheads.

Come to Denver.................... :D
is there any local shuttle service? or would we need two vehicles?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
the actual timing hasn't been nailed down, so yr PHX warning is a good one. i'm gonna see what flights to G-Ville or Asheville are like, and also get a read into Denver flights.
Remember - Southwest now flies into DIA. Although I don't think a ton of their flights are direct yet. Most go through PHX or Midway.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
is there any local shuttle service? or would we need two vehicles?
Salida - several shuttles, I'm fairly certain.

Commando - I'm sure there are shuttles, but my minivan would make an excellent shuttle vehicle. Or Morryjg's Subaru, or Ascentrek's Saab. :thumb:

You have to do the Commando run. The grand finale of this ride is a big , mighty, kickass XC DH. If there is such a thing as a XC DH. :think: