Quantcast

4 day roadtrip ideas (trail riding) for this summer

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
narlus said:
the actual timing hasn't been nailed down, so yr PHX warning is a good one. i'm gonna see what flights to G-Ville or Asheville are like, and also get a read into Denver flights.
If you fly into Greenville, SC, you can ship your bikes to my house.
I live right off the interstate on the way to Asheville.:)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
If you fly into Greenville, SC, you can ship your bikes to my house.
I live right off the interstate on the way to Asheville.:)
The directions to Jeremy's:

Turn by the Waffle House...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I don't think front range CO trails are worth flying cross country for and Denvers pretty weak as a city, IMO. The Summit suggestion is the way to go for CO.

If you want city amentities (food, music...something more than the patchoulie scented microbreweries and Spin Doctors sountrack of CO mtn towns) with immediate access to killer trails then look to Vancouver. Even if you aren't looking for 'shore' trails the riding is fantastic.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
DRB said:
Then look for 78 Red Trans Am on blocks.
Ha, I bet you have the wrong impression of my neighbor.
Facts: He drives a red Trans Am and likes to bow hunt
(yeah go ahead and picture the mullet that drapes gracefully
onto his camo jacket.)

WRONG. He is a big black guy that likes to wash his car while listening to souful gospel music.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
narlus said:
- fun singletrack
- should be able to get to the destination via direct flights from the various states
- after-ride entertainment options.

That's an easy one.

VEGAS!!

You can hit up bootleg and then mabe cruise over to Brainshead UT and maybe as far as Moab.

NOT a summer trip though.
Spring would be nice.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
narlus said:
ok...since myself and some friends are gonnna turn 40 this year, we are looking to plan a 4-5 day trip to a fun riding spot. we used to do this on a regular basis until several of us starting having kids. we are spread out but mostly in the east (OH, DE, MA, CA) so that is a consideration. riding good trails is definitely key, but ease of getting there and social amenities also rate highly. i am figuring on something like travelling thur-mon, which would yield 3 days of riding and burn only 3 vacation days. criteria:

- fun singletrack
- should be able to get to the destination via direct flights from the various states
- after-ride entertainment options

with that in mind, i was thinking of Phoenix or Denver. initially i was also considering slatyfork WV or the pisgah/tsali area of NC, but that may not be so easy to get to in a fast, direct manner. any obvious ones i'm missing? this particular group has been to Bend, Brian Head, and Sedona already so someplace new would be nice.
Narlus: What about having them come to the Boston area? Plenty of nightlife, and you can show them 'Nam, Lynn, Borderland, Rayburn, etc. Hell even a road trip to the Ct. or NH goods. :confused:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
berkshire_rider said:
Narlus: What about having them come to the Boston area? Plenty of nightlife, and you can show them 'Nam, Lynn, Borderland, Rayburn, etc. Hell even a road trip to the Ct. or NH goods. :confused:

I'm sure a few of us could host a tour of Case Mountain, Soapstone Mountain, Nepaug State Forest, etc. etc. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Whoa Narlus, I almost forgot my new favorite place to trailride.
If you come here and fly into Greenville, you have got to ride Paris Mtn. which is only minutes from the airport. It is awesome.
The trails are machined built, and all the trails are very "slalomy."
You could fly in and ride there that afternoon and then have a 50 minute drive to Asheville, although Greenville's downtown is way better.:)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jeremy R said:
Whoa Narlus, I almost forgot my new favorite place to trailride.
If you come here and fly into Greenville, you have got to ride Paris Mtn. which is only minutes from the airport. It is awesome.
The trails are machined built, and all the trails are very "slalomy."
You could fly in and ride there that afternoon and then have a 50 minute drive to Asheville, although Greenville's downtown is way better.:)
How much trail at Paris Mtn now?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok...i am back from my meeting.

on the northeast trip, all of us lived here at one time (and 3 still do) and know the area well. we want some new schtuff.

i've only been to denver once but i thought it was pretty a-ok. i'd much rather be in denver than vegas, personally.

g-ville/asheville is sounding pretty good, but i gotta check flight tables.

sedona and flagstaff are great, but as a groupe we've already been there, as well as brian head (and a couple of us have been to moab).

vancouver would be great, but it's way too far to fly for a 4-5 day jaunt.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
ok...i am back from my meeting.

on the northeast trip, all of us lived here at one time (and 3 still do) and know the area well. we want some new schtuff.
<rubs hands gleefully> Oh there's some stuff..... definitely some stuff. Are your buddies in good shape? Could we do a 40 mile Big One?

i've only been to denver once but i thought it was pretty a-ok. i'd much rather be in denver than vegas, personally.
Well, Vegas does suck. :p

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
Well, it does get hot, but with no humidity........... :thumb:

Well, not the mountains. Here was us the morning of a big ride all bundled up in July:

It was cold in the evenings when I was at Co Springs in June... lol!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
<rubs hands gleefully> Oh there's some stuff..... definitely some stuff. Are your buddies in good shape? Could we do a 40 mile Big One?
uh, no. at least not now. a couple of us maybe, but not well suited for big mountain climbs now. that's why we've got a few months to get ready.

i did a 40 miler in Durango back in '99, and that was hard work. i'm older and heavier now.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
uh, no. at least not now. a couple of us maybe, but not well suited for big mountain climbs now. that's why we've got a few months to get ready.

i did a 40 miler in Durango back in '99, and that was hard work. i'm older and heavier now.
It'll get you whipped right into shape, Fatty. ;)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Your always welcome out here in Cali. You can crash at Lovebunny's place. He'll lick your balls for ya. ;)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
how long did you live in NM when you were riding?

I haven't lived there since 1982... that was a little before the MTB scene. I do go back there annually and have ridden trails there since 2000. Usually Otero Canyon and Elena Gallegos around Albuquerque. But I have ridden near Santa Fe at Atalaya Mountain... talk about a tough fun time!

I am going to hit the South Boundry Trail this summer along with some friends from Colo.