Quantcast

4th Annual Beacon Blowout DH Race

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
O.K. - - Here it is; the first official announcement.

Bicycle Butler's Fourth Annual
BEACON BLOWOUT
Downhill Race

Sunday, April 26 • 10 am
Camp Sekani • Spokane, WA
(Beacon Hill • 6707 E. Upriver Drive)
Practices: Saturday, 10 am - 5 pm • Sunday, 8 - 9:30 am
*** Sorry, no shuttles for this event***

ENTRY FEE:
$35
:thumb: $28.95 ONLINE
:thumb:
($25+$3.95 service fee)
SAVE over $6

This will be a TWO-RUN, 'BEST-TIME' FORMAT again this year
(best of your two timed runs counts)
on a similar course as the previous Blowouts

Three ways to register:

(1)
• Online at Active.com •

(2)
• By mail •
[Download entry form available HERE]
(I'll try to have a clickable 'radio button' version there by Monday)

(3)
• On-site Sat. only: 10 am - 5 pm •

NO LATE FEES
Absolutely NO DAY-OF-RACE Registrations!
(One-day USA Cycling licenses will be available on-site)

USA Cycling Sanctioning / Points

Questions?

Call Bicycle Butler at (509) 328-7475 or
E-mail: spokes@bicyclebutler.com

Sorry - No Overnight Camping on-site for this event

Last edited:

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Carnation/Spokane, WA, USA
I went to beacon for the first time yesterday and it looks awesome. A local guy showed me the typical race course sections and it looks like a blast. If i get more riding time to rebuild my confidence (i've been away from my bike for a good # of months) then I might race.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I went to beacon for the first time yesterday and it looks awesome. A local guy showed me the typical race course sections and it looks like a blast. If i get more riding time to rebuild my confidence (i've been away from my bike for a good # of months) then I might race.
You will enjoy racing beacon! I have seen a few many of people who are not normally racers have a total blast racing there!

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
I love Bacon Hill!
The only part i could do without is that first little rock drop that you have to just huck the **** out of if your going fast.
Other than that Beacon is good fun every year.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
NEW USA CYCLING RULE FOR DOWNHILL Thought you better see it here first so that you don't get caught off-guard:

"USAC has changed the helmet rules to comply with UCI (International Cycling Union) rules. Downhill and 4Cross (sometimes called Mountain Cross) will be required to have a full face helmet. Dual Slalom and Super Downhill can use any approved helmet. The full face helmet is required for both practice and racing."

This was passed on to me by Gino and it is real. It's rule 1N2. in the 2009 Rule Book (page 51)

This means, officially, no skate/DJ lids for any sanctioned downhill event. Come prepared, please.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
It's formulating in my head. It's the line(s) I'm going to be campaigning for. I may get outvoted but I think not. It'll be good.

I'm going to be pissed that I can't ride it :mad:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
My thought is:

Similar to previous Blowouts - - Upper half of the 'new' course, crossover after Twisted Sister, but then a split-off right before the camel humps to go down the rock spine, into the twisty small trees and the small rock step-up (rather than camel humps/step-down/larger step-up). That section was in WSE's Saturday course this year. Then a turn to the right before the waterfall, an off-camber sweeper (outside the line of that phoney little rockpile turn), off the rock drop and into the high-speed double section at the bottom (which starts with a new new hip out of the turn).

That's my vision anyway. That could get slightly (or drastically) changed come layout day; but that's what I'd like to see. Many will bemoan the loss of the waterfall and Seattle line; but WSE showed us all so many new and interesting alternatives that I hope not everyone thinks that's the "only" way to route a course any more.

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
^^^ I didnt race on saturday at the Hoe down so I didnt race that line that It went down, but If a 16 year old's opinion matters, I really loved the course last year that ran off the camel humps and over the big step up to the spine down tht the double section.. but Its racing no mater what the course is!!! thanks to all who help put it together.. I just got my Jr ex license so I am ready to get smoked by all those stupid fast jrs out there..

minor threat, why did I see you on sunday at the DDHD but you wernt riding?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
minor threat, why did I see you on sunday at the DDHD but you wernt riding?
It killed me not to be able to race. My plan was to do both days but I stacked it hard on Friday's practice and broke my collarbone. I'm out and, unfortunately, won't be able to race until after the Fluidride/ProGRT race in May :disgust1:.

.Eben.

Chimp
Mar 31, 2009
My only experience at Beacon is the DDHD, and I have to say that the top half of Saturday's course combined with the lower half of Sunday's (including the "Jettsons" line) would be awesome.

cdub162

Chimp
Feb 14, 2009
My thought is:
WSE showed us all so many new and interesting alternatives that I hope not everyone thinks that's the "only" way to route a course any more.
But it is the only fun way. If we run the high speed doubles everyone bring your 4x bikes. maybe even full rigids

.Eben.

Chimp
Mar 31, 2009
I agree. Smooth jumps and berms are fun, but a downhill course should be best ridden on a downhill bike, not a slalom bike.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
fun course would be,

jumps up top with a few "new things" things taped in, hip in the middle, down the spine, through the trees, up the rock roll/step up thing, cut over to the drop from 07, down to either seattle or jetsons line.

Kyle,

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
That is a good idea, Kyle. Glad to see someone mention the 07 drop. So many bitched about it that I'd almost given up; but I'll look at the cutover to include it. Maybe add more of the rock after the landing too?

Also, if someone wants to do a little shovel work to improve the lip on that little rock roll/step up and make it a good step-up, I won't be offended :brows: hint-hint. I'd do it, but, obviously, my shoulder is not "shovel-capable" yet.

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
fun course would be,

jumps up top with a few "new things" things taped in, hip in the middle, down the spine, through the trees, up the rock roll/step up thing, cut over to the drop from 07, down to either seattle or jetsons line.

Kyle,
That would be a sweet line. Hey KT are you gonna be there? Looks like me, Chase, and Adam from the Dirt Corps will be there.