Quantcast

4th Annual Beacon Blowout DH Race

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
That would be a sweet line. Hey KT are you gonna be there? Looks like me, Chase, and Adam from the Dirt Corps will be there.
I've got the Fundementals of Engineering exam on saturday, but I will hopefully be there on sunday. I don't care about the race, I am just using it as a training ride for PA. Rarely do you do a full "race" run in training (especially with as much pedaling as beacon has)

Kyle,

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
I've got the Fundementals of Engineering exam on saturday, but I will hopefully be there on sunday. I don't care about the race, I am just using it as a training ride for PA. Rarely do you do a full "race" run in training (especially with as much pedaling as beacon has)

Kyle,
Good luck with the Exam and see you Sunday!

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Just wanted to chime in, a few of us are coming out from seattle and I've been hearing talk of a smooth pedally course. Make it rough man, lets use these expensive squishy bikes we all have, they're really fun!!! See all of you this weekend.

.Eben.

Chimp
Mar 31, 2009
I agree %100 with Nate. Most people there will be on DH race bikes, so why not include the steepest, roughest sections of the hill?

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
^^ I promise it will be a Beacon course ;).
For sure! All I'm saying is that I've been to Beacon for about the last 10 years and I've seen a few different courses and there are definitely ways that it is smooth and crosses the hill a lot and there are ways that it is rough and goes more fall line. I for one would prefer a short rough course that maintains speed to a long pedally course that puts people without a middle bike at a disadvantage.

I don't want to sound too negative here, I'm coming out to have a good time either way, just trying to pass on the word I've been hearing from people around here. It's gonna be fun!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Course is staked; will not be ribboned until tomorrow (Sat.) morning.

Saturday morning, please no practicing until you have registered and have a number plate. Early (pre-10 am) practicing will endanger you and the volunteers ribboning the course.

One last reminder: FULL-FACE HELMETS WILL BE REQUIRED for practice and racing. This is a new USAC rule and it will be enforced. Tim will have some FF helmets available to purchase for anyone that forgot or has been living in a hole the last few months.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Where'd it end up at the bottom?

Saw the fellas out there cutting in that new line next to the old ('99?) downhill line and picking up with the highspeeds.

~Henry

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
They had all the times. Their printers went down. Not a timing issue.

edit: but as a side note. it was sick to have the course marshalls doing the whistles when you cam einot a section, so world cup status

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Tim bought a bunch of whistles and thought it would be fun. I couldn't hear any from up top but I'm sure it would have given me a warm fuzzy Masters Worlds flashback moment - - annoying as I'm sure it was to others :)

Results will be published both here and on the Bicycle Butler web site (and submitted to USA Cycling) when I get the file. That's all I'm going to say before I crawl in a hole and try to forget about printers and such.

Oh, but I will add that I finally got to put faces with some names and RM handles and really enjoyed meeting you, hearing what you had to say and how polite you were to me despite things that irked the crap out of you. For that I thank you.

$BMFB$

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
"we're sorry, no attachments matched your criteria"

i thought it might too good to be true...

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
"we're sorry, no attachments matched your criteria"

i thought it might too good to be true...
I tried something new, didn't know that it would be a permissions problem with the site and that if you weren't logged in it wouldn't show the link.

I put the results up differently.Here they are.

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
When I turned on my cell this morning, I had a VM from Tim from last night (I live out in the sticks - -no cell reception :disgust1:) that Cindy had results to send me. I will get them today and get them up on the Butler site and here too. Sorry for that unintended delay; and thanks for posting it up first, Mark (and then fixing the linking ;)).

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I do want to say good job to the trail builders, that was one of (if not THE) most fun course I've ever raced at beacon.

and thanks to Carl for taking so SICK pictures!!!

Kyle,

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Results in PDF form attached.

View attachment Blowout_FINAL_updated_2009.pdf

Glad you liked it, Kyle. Cutting new lines may be a thing of the past for Beacon events. Word is City Parks is going to require a $500 bond in future rental agreements against any new lines cut.

Funny thing is, I found out from Dan Weber that the "new" line is actually an old dormant, overgrown one left over from '97 or '98. I really hope the FTTRC does not decommission and rehab it. We need alternatives.

Last edited:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side

View attachment 97948

Glad you liked it, Kyle. Cutting new lines may be a thing of the past for Beacon events. Word is City Parks is going to require a $500 bond in future rental agreements against any new lines cut.

Funny thing is, I found out from Dan Weber that the "new" line is actually an old dormant, overgrown one left over from '97 or '98. I really hope the FTTRC does not decommission and rehab it. We need alternatives.
lol we have much bigger issues to deal with than some old dormant downhill lines. Like keeping motorcycles out of there. The WIM xc series was cutting in tons of singletrack, old history.

Last edited:

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
lol we have much bigger issues to deal with than some old dormant downhill lines. Like keeping motorcycles out of there. The WIM xc series was cutting in tons of singletrack, old history.
Yes, motorcycles are a problem but there is a process now for building any sort of new trails, as I'm sure you know. Unapproved trail building at Beacon is a thing of the past.

View attachment 97948

The City is against changes on existing trails but for now there is a new group which will make decisions on all trail changes. So in the future any changes need to be approved by the group first (me and Dan are in the group). The only problem we had with the 'new' line is that the landings for the drops need to be armored and have some sort of transition. Trails need to be sustainable. There doesn't need to be any more erosion-prone lines.

Last edited:

$BMFB$

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
does anyone know a link or any info on the photographer that was at the bottom of the new line almost all day race day?i think he got hit a couple times. he was wearing a black collared shirt with yellow or orange writing on it with black pants or shorts. i remeber him saying something about 'sun light wind' or something like that but i have been searching for days and i cant find anything...

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
BMFB: That was my pops. Photos are now uploaded now. Unfortunately you have to search through quite a bit of them, but i just went through all 935 in less than 10 minutes. So scrolling to find the ones of you shouldn't be so hard.

www.sunwindlight.com

Some of them are duplicated and some scrambled from Adobe Bridge.

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Revised results file re-uploaded above.
To the blowout organizers. I thought I heard this event was a USA Cycling sanctioned race. Just wondering why we haven't seen any results on the USA Cycling web site yet?

Please clarify,

Many thanks.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ Reporting paperwork just got sent off day before yesterday.

Tim was handling that part this year so it was all done analog/snail mail.

Last edited: