Quantcast

4x/DS bike

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Steve - are you going to come up to Windham and race 4x Aug 15 - I'll be there and going to try to make the last few Platty races plus Blue MTN
im thinking about it. if anything, itll be to race DH. i dont know how ill fair racing my DH bike in the 4x there.

if i was really ambitious, id put together my RS7 to race 4x, but that wont likely happen

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Can't go wrong with the SX. I would take the horst link design over a single piv. any day. Only other design that might work well for 4X DS would be a VPP linkage. Plus SX lifetime warranty and great build quality for the money.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Sorry nothing to add other than I'd be wary about the SX 'cos of the proprietary shock, would put me right off.
There is always a way around a proprietary shock. For example 04 Demo 9 with a DHX had to just frabricate a seatstay shock spacer or guys that fit a CC double barrel on the 07 SXT.
Don't know about the SXT on west coast terrain but on the east coast it is a kick azz mini dh bike

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
don't know nothing bout that, but it seems like a nice little sled. Corsair seems to have their stuff together.

There's also the Avent Arson....very foes-esque.
i know some people with issues with their front maxles, and i wanna try and stay away from a QR-type rear end.
the Avent isnt too bad. looks fairly cheap. i just cant find specs on the geometry.

There is always a way around a proprietary shock. For example 04 Demo 9 with a DHX had to just frabricate a seatstay shock spacer or guys that fit a CC double barrel on the 07 SXT.
Don't know about the SXT on west coast terrain but on the east coast it is a kick azz mini dh bike
the shock has a a special Specialized adapter on the bottom of the shock. fabricating something up would be a problem i would think

the SXT is nice, but its not the SX like i am looking at.

does Morewood only sell direct?

Last edited:

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
ok, i know upon first impression, thisfoes doesn't seem like a bike you'd be able to get for cheap, but in my hunt for an AM bike, foes has been suuuuper helpful in finding a bike for me that not only works well and suits my criteria, but will also fit in my back pocket so to speak. many times they have shipments that didn't go where they were supposed to and are subsequently discounted, etc. long story short. give them a shot, pop them an email and see what's up.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i know i can get a Foes below cost, but even at my price its still higher than i might want to spend. im waiting to hear back from some people on prices of other bikes, but if they are close, then a Foes would be a no brainer for me

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The shock has a a special Specialized adapter on the bottom of the shock. fabricating something up would be a problem i would think

the SXT is nice, but its not the SX like i am looking at.

I understand that but it is the same suspension design. Just say no to single piviot!

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
im thinking about it. if anything, itll be to race DH. i dont know how ill fair racing my DH bike in the 4x there.

if i was really ambitious, id put together my RS7 to race 4x, but that wont likely happen
FYI the dual course at windham was the most ungroomed pile of gravel I've ever raced on. And it was that way before the nine inches of rain fell. I pray that will change next race but I doubt it will. And the course it twice as long as Platty. I thought you sold the RS-7. You should rock that in a DS rope-a-dope style until you can afford a GamJam. Need any parts? PM me.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
FYI the dual course at windham was the most ungroomed pile of gravel I've ever raced on. And it was that way before the nine inches of rain fell. I pray that will change next race but I doubt it will. And the course it twice as long as Platty. I thought you sold the RS-7. You should rock that in a DS rope-a-dope style until you can afford a GamJam. Need any parts? PM me.
yeah i heard both courses got smashed cause of the rain.

i didnt sell the RS7 yet, but im considering keeping it and selling my other frames instead
i basically have 2 DH frames i have no use for

Last edited:

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
oh, by the way; regarding the corsair koenig. you can get it in a variety of builds and get various options on the rear end (not only maxle or qr, you can basically get whatever you want), just drop them an email, i've found that their customer service, at least in my experience was the best i've ever encountered.

OB1

Monkey
I've been running the new SX for 6 months now. Here's a shot of it at the Clemson race with our team mechanic giving it a look over. It's a 26lb build.

When I first got it, I thought I made a big mistake. Angles felt wrong, and I couldn't keep my pedals off the ground, even in the parking lot. After a couple days I discovered that I had the rear shock(proprietary 4" float) pressure too low. I pumped it up a bit above recommended setting. Drastic improvement. But still the pedals were banging off the ground for the first month or so. Typical Specialized low BB. And I'm running some longer XT's. I've adjusted to it. Haven't hit a pedal in a month or so. The low center of gravity, and HA makes for a nice ride. This bike wants to jump. And corners like a dream if youre focused on exit speed. I get on my Sunday after riding the SX, and inevitably overlean a few turns. More so than I ever did with my other 4X rigs. Rear end length feels ideal for my 5'10" frame. I come from a BMX race background. So I've taken it to our local BMX track to play. Pro pedal works well. But only on setting 3. I run a gate lock on my 20 mil Reba that matches up nicely with my stiff float. Great rig. I'd recommend it.:thumb:

Edit: if you do decide on an Ndiza, let me know. My buddy is selling his for a nice price. Double barrel shock and all.

Last edited:

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Its been said already, but Ndiza all the way... I love riding mine for pretty much everything.

EDIT: Mine is a 2008... The 2009's have a hydro formed top tube which is both lighter and stiffer. It also eliminates the need for the super gusset on the top tube.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You should REALLY test ride the Morewood Ndiza before you make a decision.
whys that? is it the type of love/hate bike?

When I first got it, I thought I made a big mistake. Angles felt wrong, and I couldn't keep my pedals off the ground, even in the parking lot. After a couple days I discovered that I had the rear shock(proprietary 4" float) pressure too low. I pumped it up a bit above recommended setting. Drastic improvement. But still the pedals were banging off the ground for the first month or so. Typical Specialized low BB. And I'm running some longer XT's. I've adjusted to it. Haven't hit a pedal in a month or so. The low center of gravity, and HA makes for a nice ride. This bike wants to jump. And corners like a dream if youre focused on exit speed. I get on my Sunday after riding the SX, and inevitably overlean a few turns. More so than I ever did with my other 4X rigs. Rear end length feels ideal for my 5'10" frame. I come from a BMX race background. So I've taken it to our local BMX track to play. Pro pedal works well. But only on setting 3. I run a gate lock on my 20 mil Reba that matches up nicely with my stiff float. Great rig. I'd recommend it.:thumb:

Edit: if you do decide on an Ndiza, let me know. My buddy is selling his for a nice price. Double barrel shock and all.
killer, thanks for the write up. how do you find the TT length? im putting a 36 Talas on it and going to run it at it's lowest setting, so i think i might be okay with the lower BB with your setup
i wish i could ride the SX and the Ndiza. it always seems to be a crap shoot when buying a bike that youve never ridden before

Last edited:

OB1

Monkey
killer, thanks for the write up. how do you find the TT length? im putting a 36 Talas on it and going to run it at it's lowest setting, so i think i might be okay with the lower BB with your setup
i wish i could ride the SX and the Ndiza. it always seems to be a crap shoot when buying a bike that youve never ridden before
Come ride with me in the NC mountains and you can ride both back to back. :thumb:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Steve, the rear maxle is way better then the front maxle, I love it. Are you going to be at Snow this weekend?
i dont think i can make it this weekend, but i heard that the Yard Sale is making a come back! im pissed for not being able to go.

im shooting for Windham though

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
damn with another frame of mine just sold, im still up in the air on which frame to get.
Spesh' is dumping their 2009 frames now and i know i can get it cheap, but my budget just thankfully doubled.......
Commencal maybe? Morewood Ndiza? Transition Double? Foes 4X?.....oh to have money burning a hole in your pocket

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Hey young man, after riding Kristine's Ndiza last week at Platty think I'm gonna get me one of those.
Also gonna be some more DS racing nearby - check out my thread in Northeast

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
damn with another frame of mine just sold, im still up in the air on which frame to get.
Spesh' is dumping their 2009 frames now and i know i can get it cheap, but my budget just thankfully doubled.......
Commencal maybe? Morewood Ndiza? Transition Double? Foes 4X?.....oh to have money burning a hole in your pocket
I've just ordered a 2010 Commencal Meta 4X. Got a good deal on it, and I've heard a lot of good things about it. But the same goes for the Morewood Ndiza.

The Foes looks like a sweet frame though!

The Transition Double seems more like a slopestyle/DJ rig

Either one will probably make you happy

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
the Spec sx is sweet. How much are they dumping the 09s for?
How much is the Comenical and the Ndiza going for?
I am waiting on a Transition Double but more I think of it, one of the other 3 might be more of what I am looking for. If you don't want to post prices please pm me. I have a totaly decked out geared MOB I am using for parts. If is sell that frame and the double plus my Identiti Dr Jekyll frame I may have enough for a better frame.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the Spec sx is sweet. How much are they dumping the 09s for?
How much is the Comenical and the Ndiza going for?
i just checked and they dont have any of the 2009's in stock anymore and only a handful of 2010's.
BTI has the Commencals in them, so check them for pricing....i havent talked to anyone at Morewood yet. i called after 6 and im assuming they were gone for the day.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Foes 4x or Xprezo GamJam. I really like the blend of steel and aluminum on my Furax. It makes for a real light, but stiff and responsive ride with a great terrain feel. Last weeks good DS runs on the DH bike have me wishing for a GamJam. However, I will be rockin' the 4x tomorrow at Blue.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I am not sure if they left anybody behind to be there while they are at interbike, because normally you can get them anytime.
i called after 6...id think theyd want to go home sooner or later.

Foes 4x or Xprezo GamJam.
im thinking about their HT now, the Predator.

i think ill put my spreadsheet capabilities to work and make one b/w the bikes.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
finally got it finished yesterday!

'09 Transition Bank
'06 Fox 36 Talas R
Chris King 10mm rear hub on Mavic 729/Hadley front hub on Mavic 823
RF Atlas FR 165mm cranks w/ Atom Lab Aircorp pedals
Gamut P40 chainguide
Chris King bottom bracket
Chris King headset
Sram X9 rear der/X9 grip shift
Hayes 9 brakes
temporary Race Face Diabolous stem and Azonic WF bars.
Thomson seatpost w/ WTB saddle

the bike feels alien to me since i havent ridden a hardtail since 1998. ive had DH or FR bikes since then, so this is a HUGE change for me

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Steve this is 2 firsts for you:

a bike that isn't black or raw (I don't count your first evil, since you didn't have a choice

a hardtail.

looks nice!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Steve this is 2 firsts for you:

a bike that isn't black or raw (I don't count your first evil, since you didn't have a choice

a hardtail.

looks nice!
thanks.
my first Foes back in 2000 was red, but its weird seeing a bike in my garage that isnt black or raw....seeing that white Evil in the garage was no beuno

Have you considered a Banshee Rampant?

Fairly light, it's sitting at 13.8kg in that pic, seems to accelerate when landing a jump and feels more nimble than anything I've ridden previously.
A rampant will be in my quiver this season! Never had a short travel DS/4X bike before either, gonna be sweet having another option to the hardtail, super psyched!
http://www.bansheebikes.com/bikes/rampant.html