Quantcast

4x forks... are we not a big enough market?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I've been trying to find a good fork for 4x this year that is fairly light weight and so far the only sub 4lb 20mm axle option is a manipoo minute. After 2 poor manipoos i def dont want to purchase one. A reba with pike lowers would be nice but that would probably be a little over 4 lbs. The marz 4x is super sweet but once again almost 5lbs. So how come 4x forks get no love? Are we not a big enough market?

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
My guess is that there will be a 4x special fork more to your liking in the next few years.

I think none of the big manufacturer's current fork platforms (castings) is conducive to building a fork to your description.

I too would like a 3 or 4 inch travel, 4 pound single crown with a 20mm axle. It's certainly possible, but not necessarily probable. I think at that weight, you're also getting close to the danger zone in terms of weight. With an air cartridge or Ti spring in one leg and a cartridge damper with little oil in the other, it might be possible with standard outer parts, but it's close.

I faced the same dilemma recently. I bought a Pike. The travel wind-down feature is way better than any other travel reduction system I've used before. It's heavy, though, and not in the right places. The crown looks pretty thin and the damping system must be quite heavy.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Depends on the track I guess.

The nemesis guys are working on an air mod for the marz 4x. I have one here and its a pretty nice fork, basic guts though. Air mod should drop a bit of weight.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I've been trying to find a good fork for 4x this year that is fairly light weight and so far the only sub 4lb 20mm axle option is a manipoo minute. After 2 poor manipoos i def dont want to purchase one. A reba with pike lowers would be nice but that would probably be a little over 4 lbs. The marz 4x is super sweet but once again almost 5lbs. So how come 4x forks get no love? Are we not a big enough market?

i think there are plenty options out there, a reba, any fox 32mm stanchon, or the new zocchi xc retro series should serve you well if what you want is a sub 4lb fork.

i know none of those are 20mm thru axle, but i think the usefulness of that would be limited, at that travel the aforementioned forks are pretty stiff anyway.

now, if you really want to have it your way, i would look into an xc6/700sl and see if you can put the lowers from the AM1sl on it (same air cart, same damper). for what its worth, the xc700sl i weighed in at 1,68kg out of the box so i reckon theres a fair chance youd still be under 4lbs when youre done (if it works).

then again, what about the dual air pike? with the right spacers you could have that one down to whatever travel you want and theyre right around 4lbs arent they? thats a sweet fork!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Alot of riders want a light 20mm lowish fork.....the only viable option now is the Pike....

Marz used to make a couple versions of light 20mm back in 2001, 2002.....they had the 20mm xFly and the Z1 MCR forks.....since then they are heavy and tall or super heavy DJ forks....

I guess Companies think if they put a light 20mm out there riders will overuse them and destroy them......

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
With a 7'' cut steer tube, my dual air pike 454 weighs 4.4 lbs w/ that big ass axle. I am having the same problems finding a fork for 4X that goes to 90mm travel. The ideal situation that I have found is the Reba team Air U-Turn w/ the pop-loc ripped off, ran with either a Phil bolt on front hub or DMR front hub. I do feel the flex in sharp turns with the QR so that is out of the question. Happy hunting.

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
Try and hunt out a pair of the old zocchi z1s. I can remember the name but they were a yellowy gold colour and had a 20mm axle. I rode a recently seviced pair not so long back and they are still awesome forks

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Try and hunt out a pair of the old zocchi z1s. I can remember the name but they were a yellowy gold colour and had a 20mm axle. I rode a recently seviced pair not so long back and they are still awesome forks
sounds like a Z1 Dual

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I think a lot of people are happy running QR xc forks, and I don't see a huge need for 4x-specific forks when stuff like the fox 32 series, reba, and pikes are doing a great job.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Pike lowers fit a reba right?

I've got a set here. Any idea what the final weight would be with an air uturn reba?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I run Manitou Minute Air and have for a couple yrs. - It is the best
weight to stiffness one out IMO - If you are killing them you don't need
a fork that light! I hear so many people trash Manitou on Monkey.
I have ran them since 2000 and have had no problems, oh yeah
I am butta though.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
my issue with manitou is that they have many little parts the fail after a while. I've had a minute and a breakout which felt great out of the box but down the road i think its the rebound assembly fails.

I've tried running a qr front wheel and it flexes way too much for me to feel confident on one and i've broken the drop outs off one too. Maybe im a hack, but i know many many ppl that are looking for a sub 4lb 4x fork with a 20mm axle.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
my issue with manitou is that they have many little parts the fail after a while. I've had a minute and a breakout which felt great out of the box but down the road i think its the rebound assembly fails.

I've tried running a qr front wheel and it flexes way too much for me to feel confident on one and i've broken the drop outs off one too. Maybe im a hack, but i know many many ppl that are looking for a sub 4lb 4x fork with a 20mm axle.
Yeah I have had the stupid plastic rebound thingy break too, but is my
only complaint. Maybe they'll get tired of fixin' em and make em out of
metal eventually - Yeah Sub 4 20 mill hard to find - probably hard to find
I used to Dog Rock Shox like that - havent rode a pair in years - heard
they have improved - my buddy has one seems to have more flex than
my minute.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i have 3, yes three marzocchi 4x forks. two with dual dupio air set ups, and one that is coil one side, air on the other. all three are super light and feel great. contact brad at nemesis project cycles for more info, email is evil4bc@mac.com. best option out there for a 20mm 4x/jumping/street/race fork currently. also travel is available from 100-45mm of travel

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I doubt it. 4x is going away pretty fast. Worst racing ever, so that's a good thing.
it never took off as a replacement for dual slalom.
they tried to fix what wasn't broken.

the whole thing was just a holeshot contest.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
are you kidding? You were at Rotorua weren't u? That course was kickass to watch 'em race
Sure I was there, still not super impressed. It was still a holeshot contest unless someone wrecked/caught a bar/pedal etc. It was under development for a year or more and cost an insane amount of money to build and maintain.

Promoters won't put in the time, effort or money necessary to build proper courses at anything but maybe Worlds. The Ft Bill track was decent as well, and was also still just a holeshot contest.

The only racey course in the last 4 years was last year's Cworx course for some reason. 2-3 out of what....40+ races? I'll take the near 99% racey slalom events, thanks. 4x is a flop.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I never liked MTX from day one......in Dual you can still build the heavily bulldozed courses or you can stick gates in the ground and guys will charge down 100% from start to finish, that makes for more interesting racing IMO....

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Pics or video of that CW track- we are building one at the moment and trying to work out what keeps a track competitive and interesting. Cheers

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
then again, what about the dual air pike? with the right spacers you could have that one down to whatever travel you want and theyre right around 4lbs arent they? thats a sweet fork!
that'd be my pick.. they're about 4.2lbs , but that's close enough for a stiff 20mm fork that'll take some abuse.

saves you from buying two forks to switch parts too. :)

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
it says on the sram site that the 454 dual air is 4.08 lbs. i dont know if thats with the steerer or not but if it is then once you cut it down your looking at sub 4lbs. mines cut down as far as i goes. i couldn't ask for a nicer fork for dj, 4x, and trail riding. i have mine set to 100mm.

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
4x is not a flop....there are just not enough riders who compete in DH and 4X .. most of the guys only concentrate on DH ... that sucks ! same for this years video-productions... nearly no 4X in there ....

UCI should make a combi-ranking for both disciplines (like skiing worldcup) to get more riders into 4X...

worldcup 4X tracks arent that bad (vigo, willingen, schladming, ...).. all with good action ... i like 4X cause of the technical perfection the riders need to have on all those different tracks !

at national races...everybody races DH ... you just need to cruise down the hill if you're not that fast...that won't work for 4X...lots of riders are scarred...

back to the FORK question:

reba is the perfect 4x fork, who needs a 20mm axle ?

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
I somehow don't think the UCI is ever going back to DS, and 4X is only a flop to people that can't cope with learning how to do a real gate start and weak horses under their Troy Lee's. Also, there is plenty of passing going on in the sport. Yes a holeshot gives you an advantage, but if that is all you got, then someone will go around you. With the construction of tracks getting better and better (more turn options and different lines) the sport hasn't even peaked yet. It is too bad that American sanctioning bodies haven't created a decent track since Anal Fire, and that was built by the UCI! DS mocks downhill and there is no rubbing or drag racing, therefore DH riders are more likely to exceed at it. 4X is a sport that mixes it up with different aspects of riding. Yes I agree that the courses in America need to be more like biker cross at Whistler, but there is no need to go back to dual slalom courses like VT, NC, or any other sh$tty DS course aside from Snowmass.

Gobig

Chimp
May 10, 2007
I somehow don't think the UCI is ever going back to DS, and 4X is only a flop to people that can't cope with learning how to do a real gate start and weak horses under their Troy Lee's. Also, there is plenty of passing going on in the sport. Yes a holeshot gives you an advantage, but if that is all you got, then someone will go around you. With the construction of tracks getting better and better (more turn options and different lines) the sport hasn't even peaked yet. It is too bad that American sanctioning bodies haven't created a decent track since Anal Fire, and that was built by the UCI! DS mocks downhill and there is no rubbing or drag racing, therefore DH riders are more likely to exceed at it. 4X is a sport that mixes it up with different aspects of riding. Yes I agree that the courses in America need to be more like biker cross at Whistler, but there is no need to go back to dual slalom courses like VT, NC, or any other sh$tty DS course aside from Snowmass.

It might help if 4x racing did not die during the winter months. More racing might keep riders intrested!

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I think that a 4.5 lb front fork for 4x is plenty light. Think about it, there are so many places on the bike that could be lightened up (wheels are a BIG one), that if you have nothing else to lighten, then your bike is already sub 30 and plenty light.

Btw, the new manitou stuff (minutes/nixons w/ 20 mm lowers) are actually pretty money. They are smooth, the travel adjust works and are LIGHT!!

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
I have had a manitou minute for a couple of years and I have been really happy with it. I agree with the guy above though, the new minutes look pretty dope. I would seriously look in to one of those.

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
'are we not a big enough market?' I think that by defining the criteria for any product narrowly enough wiull leave you with a gap in the market, which may or may not be just what you and three of your buddies need the most. Not trying to be a wiseass, just my two cents.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
fact is, nobody "rides" 4x. for DH/XC/etc, the race product is able to be supported since normal riders will purchase and ride the product. even this past weekend at Diablo, there were 230 DH racers but an even bigger number of people who have bought the DH bikes, the Fox 40s, etc just to ride the mountain. nobody buys a 4x fork just to ride it. so not only is 4x racing much MUCH smaller than DH racing, that difference is magnified by the fact that they can't be sold to normal riders who aren't into racing. so there are probably at *most* a hundred dedicated 4x racers who would actually spend money to buy a dedicated 4x fork (as opposed to buying a heavier fork that could be used for both AM/freestyle/DJ like a Pike).

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Sure I was there, still not super impressed. It was still a holeshot contest unless someone wrecked/caught a bar/pedal etc. It was under development for a year or more and cost an insane amount of money to build and maintain.

Promoters won't put in the time, effort or money necessary to build proper courses at anything but maybe Worlds. The Ft Bill track was decent as well, and was also still just a holeshot contest.

The only racey course in the last 4 years was last year's Cworx course for some reason. 2-3 out of what....40+ races? I'll take the near 99% racey slalom events, thanks. 4x is a flop.
So actually it is more the promoter then mountaincross, i agree there are lots of these races that turn into a parade after the first turn....but if you look at the courses that Glen Jacobs does in Aussie you'll see the true potential of the format.

I love Dual Slalom...it is fun and exciting to race, but the fact is the sport was so hot when Dual Slalom was growing we could have been on big wheels and there would have been tv coverage and sponsorship $, except in Europe....i can remember doing Slalom in Europe at world cups and there were less fans then at the current races in the states.

Mountaincross was introduced at a crazy time...we were losing television coverage which = losing sponsorship $, our sport was/is in competition with X-games and the now much smaller gravity games for $, Dual Slalom in the non MTB riders eye's just doesn't have the draw of head to head racing.

It is the only discipline that makes true sense as a vehicle to get our sport back to television coverage and the $ that used to be here, if thats even possible?

This is what is currently being raced at the highest level....should we just detour from that and run Slalom only and develop riders that can rip a Slalom course but are a fish out of water at World cups?

i know some say we are better off with out all the coverage, but when there was a surplus of money around the events were a lot more fun.

Honestly i could care less what we race, I'm just happy to go to the races and have fun, but i hate to see something slammed that i personally think has value to our sport.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I love Dual Slalom...it is fun and exciting to race, but the fact is the sport was so hot when Dual Slalom was growing we could have been on big wheels and there would have been tv coverage and sponsorship $, except in Europe....i can remember doing Slalom in Europe at world cups and there were less fans then at the current races in the states.
I can understand as a person that actually makes their living at this that that is important to you. But as an amatuer/weekend warrior having a track that only the upper 5% (if that) can be competitive on sucks.
I got into DH as an aside to getting into DS. Back then I used the same bike for both though?
I never raced BMX growing up so in my late 20's/early 30's I didn't care to try to figure out gate starts and passing/blocking/sharking (if you ask me?!?). I was a natural at carving corners so even though the guy in the lane next to me could snap me out of the gate by the time we got to the finish line I was in contention.
Maybe this wasn't the kind of racing people wanted to watch but it was something people wanted to do.