Quantcast

4X Tracks

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Looking to possibly do some 4x riding before christmas.

Does anyone know of any that are open in:
GA / KY / TN / NC area?

Pics are a plus :biggrin:

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
ETSU in Johnson City, TN is well groomed and extra trails have been added! Not sure about Bigfoot between Knoxville and Oak Ridge. Hobby Park in Winston-Salem has a DS course that shoulld be good. Are there any other in riding condition?

Ask Metal about track in GA.

Oh, In KY Lindsey Wilson (north of Nashville) has a sweet course as well.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
ETSU in Johnson City, TN is well groomed and extra trails have been added! Not sure about Bigfoot between Knoxville and Oak Ridge. Hobby Park in Winston-Salem has a DS course that shoulld be good. Are there any other in riding condition?

Ask Metal about track in GA.

Oh, In KY Lindsey Wilson (north of Nashville) has a sweet course as well.
Actually that was the inital plan, i've ridden there before (two months ago)... However they rebuild it every year as it washes away. One of my buddies that does Cyclocross said it was in some disarray about 2 weeks ago or so due to rain and what not.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
pro fro may be the one to chime in on this.
but i think bigfoot may be lying fallow at the moment.

so much potential with the land there and all.
but so few willing to take advantage of it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The MTNx course at Bigfoot is ridable, but its in rough, rough shape. We didn't do any up-keep on the course after the spring. Its just too much work for the 2 or 3 guys that wanted to help.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The MTNx course at Bigfoot is ridable, but its in rough, rough shape. We didn't do any up-keep on the course after the spring. Its just too much work for the 2 or 3 guys that wanted to help.
How bad do you think it is?

What about the other riding in Big Foot (simialr conditions? )

thanks

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
How bad do you think it is?

What about the other riding in Big Foot (simialr conditions? )

thanks
Rode a Heckler with 6" fork & 2.5" tires there in the spring 2006 & it was ok ,but on the sketchy side for the main track.. Something with big meaty tires help with the rocks n gravel ..
Those freeride trails they built in the woods are cool. Usually they just need to be raked .
I am guessing the dirt jumps are used the most?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
My DS course in Griffin Georgia is tight right now til' Christmas
you wanna make the trip?
Directions are FRM Atlanta-go I-75 S to exit 218 hwy 20-go west to
Atl. Motor Speedway-exit S onto 19/41 go 7 mi. to Hwy 92 (Mcdonalds)
turn right-go 2 mi. turn right just past gas station/tan salon-hah!
onto Bates rd.-go strt. 1/2 mi. to dead end-fork left onto powerline-
bring lunch!-DS course and 8 pack of mtb dirt jumps last gap 30ft.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
My DS course in Griffin Georgia is tight right now til' Christmas
you wanna make the trip?
Directions are FRM Atlanta-go I-75 S to exit 218 hwy 20-go west to
Atl. Motor Speedway-exit S onto 19/41 go 7 mi. to Hwy 92 (Mcdonalds)
turn right-go 2 mi. turn right just past gas station/tan salon-hah!
onto Bates rd.-go strt. 1/2 mi. to dead end-fork left onto powerline-
bring lunch!-DS course and 8 pack of mtb dirt jumps last gap 30ft.
PICTURES !!!

irishman

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
TN
Big Foot is not in any condition that is desireable to ride right now....check back there in the spring unless you want to do some dirt jumps

I'd try...

ETSU first (being ridden all year round)
LMC second (less there unless it has changed in the last month)

What's that about collegiate nationals in 2008? Where would all the courses be?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Doesn't anybody own a 4 wheeler and scraper attachment up there to rough grade Bigfoot? I assume it's rutted from rain runoff is the main issue right?
Not anything I can do about here...just wondering out loud.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Big Foot is not in any condition that is desireable to ride right now....check back there in the spring unless you want to do some dirt jumps
Sorry, but you're talking out your a$$. I was there today working and it really, really dry and ridable.

Butch, yeah is rain ruts that are the main problem. We have some ideas how to fix this and we get on it in the spring.

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
What's that about collegiate nationals in 2008? Where would all the courses be?[/QUOTE said:
apperently doug is trying to get collegiate nationals next year. last i talked to him (at nationals this year) he was trying to do DH at sugar, and everything else on campus. i guess itd make travel easier, but their slalom and XC courses arent exactly nationals material compared to anything at angelfire. plus slalom practice would be a bitch with 100+ people tyring to get on that course. As far as i can tell nothing is confirmed yet and angelfire was putting in a bid as well. i guess we'll see.

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
they should really look into doing 4x at sugar. their course is fun to play around on , but has zero spectating and definately couldnt fit 4 people without major changes. i guess its better than the two berm/one jump deal at seven springs three years ago though, but at least you could watch that.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
as of last wed....it is official, it will be at lees mcrae for 07-08

dh at sugar, everything else on campus
Damn...and Kim blasted me when I had the nerve to ask her if we could put on one more event there this coming spring if we handled all the advertising, timing, etc and held on a weekend the lifts were already running.

Sugar is in for a harsh lesson when it comes to collegiate racing. At Wolf Laurel, Terry and I teamed up for an event that had a collegiate at it as well. MAN! When we started the lifts, the body count just started multiplying.

Then, we weeded out some of the sketchers, and opened up DS practice. 3 went down and out within 30 minutes (not exaggerating). I spent half the day filling out injury reports. I thought our NORBA rep was gonna pooh himself. The resort owners afterwards looked at me and said "What the hell? You've had 4 events so far and only 1 broken bone. Let's do more races...but no collegiate." I agreed... :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
How about-
Concentrate efforts on Downhill in 2007.! Instead on spreading the load to 4x--SuperD..& having 3 mediocre courses .Why not make a killer DH world cup style course that the whole US would talk about..?
you talking bout my course biotch? Imma use my pimp hand on yo AAss! :twitch:

But seriously...did you just crack on the Sugar course? Kirkcaldie said it was the hardest NORBA Nat course in a while. Graves went off course twice. We had to take a section out b/c most considered it unrideable. Did you even ride it?

Oooh....new smilie. :crazy:

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Talking about 2007. Not past courses..I like all the DH courses.Lighten up.
Did i say SUGAR mtn DH ? no
Hey the slalom sucked there though !

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Sugar is in for a harsh lesson when it comes to collegiate racing. At Wolf Laurel, Terry and I teamed up for an event that had a collegiate at it as well. MAN! When we started the lifts, the body count just started multiplying.

Then, we weeded out some of the sketchers, and opened up DS practice. 3 went down and out within 30 minutes (not exaggerating). I spent half the day filling out injury reports. I thought our NORBA rep was gonna pooh himself. The resort owners afterwards looked at me and said "What the hell? You've had 4 events so far and only 1 broken bone. Let's do more races...but no collegiate." I agreed... :D
We have sent 12 riders to the ER from ETSU campus. The worst of all was on the first little table on the slalom course. The smallest safest jump put a kid from Florida in the hospital for 9 days. Suprisingly, my broken hand is the worst injury on the DH, go figure.

In defense the better riders do show up at nationals. If you have never had a chance to spectate a local collegiate slalom or DH it is quite a treat!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Talking about 2007. Not past courses..I like all the DH courses.Lighten up.
Did i say SUGAR mtn DH ? no
Hey the slalom sucked there though !
No harm no foul...it's all just e-smack talk. Deleting your post won't save you though. I quoted your orignal post so you can't make it go away. :D
It's all in good fun.
I give it :stosh:

Cool... stosh smilie is back!!! YAYYYY!:clapping:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
We have sent 12 riders to the ER from ETSU campus. The worst of all was on the first little table on the slalom course. The smallest safest jump put a kid from Florida in the hospital for 9 days. Suprisingly, my broken hand is the worst injury on the DH, go figure.

In defense the better riders do show up at nationals. If you have never had a chance to spectate a local collegiate slalom or DH it is quite a treat!
Yeah, that's why I don't dirt jump anymore. I finally learned the rhythm section at Swannanoa years back and Fennell got it on film. I was amped and just kept doing it over and over. And I said "one more run". First jump...snapped wrist and surgery.

I stick to big stepdowns and tabletops on my Dh bike these days. For whatever reason, I can line up a huge gap on my Dh and think nothing of it....but cring at a 3 foot gap on a mini-set of DJ's.