Quantcast

5.10 needs a response - HIGH TOP or LOW TOP?

Would you want to see high top or low top Impacts?

• High Top

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Low Top

Votes: 41 50.6%

• Total voters

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
This is direct from Eric at FiveTen:

Would you want to see high top or low top Impacts?

have everyone you know email us, telling us they want to see them back.

It's working.

Eric Odenthal erico@fiveten.com

Basicly, what needs to happen is that everyone interested in getting these shoes back in production needs to e-mail him your preference....the poll is just for our own sakes. He needs you to respond directly to erico@fiveten.com .

Copy this text and post it on every conceivable forum you can think it would apply to and we'll see what kind of count he gets.
5.10 Impacts

Intense Low Top

Intense HT

<-- these are
HOT!!!

This is what the two different versions looked like before. I would also let them know style wise what you want them to look like. My first guess is that they still have these designs sitting there and might just re-introduce the same thing. Not sure yet.

Anybody tired of these threads...sorry...I wanted to post a poll as well.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
low. The high tops look OK on the mountain but, away from the bike, need a mullet and weight lifting pants to complete the look.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
my vote goes to the ht i already got the mullit but workout pants dont know bout that. lol i like the white and black and the red. but i would like any of them

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Acadian said:
Butch is already working on his "free" pair of shoes! hahaha ;)
No doubt, something is up.
He is working way too hard to get something that he does not use.
This would be like me helping a group of people buy decaf coffee or something. :dancing:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I also emailed Eric after reading your post yesterday. I was so excited to see I had a response from him when I checked my email at lunch.

"I've forwarded this to production... the ball is rolling."

Thank you for making the initial contact with this guy. I have emailed them several times over the past year asking for them to rerun the shoes but without success.

My vote is for low top in the grey/red intense colors.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Off topic but while we are talking about bike companies and email. I sent Manitou an email for their favorite rider contest and they sent an email back saying that I got some swag. I dont know if everyone gets some or if I got lucky, but I am getting some swag none the less.

Ok, on topic.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ChrisKring said:
I also emailed Eric after reading your post yesterday. I was so excited to see I had a response from him when I checked my email at lunch.

"I've forwarded this to production... the ball is rolling."

Thank you for making the initial contact with this guy. I have emailed them several times over the past year asking for them to rerun the shoes but without success.

My vote is for low top in the grey/red intense colors.
Remember in school:
1. State your theory
2. Give evidence to support that theory
3. Tie evidence to theory
4. Write a good closing

I had just noted how tons of people suddenly started raving about these shoes and buying them all up. I just put 2 and 2 together and realized the market for flats wasn't half of what it is now 2 years ago. With all the freeride parks, stunt trails, urban bikes, etc...it made sense.

Kind of like the first few guys to make snowboard boots...the first few years must have been a big turd. All the mountains were not allowing them...then they let snowboards in. Suddenly, that snowboard specific boot you scrapped just came in demand.

And Jeremy....I'm on a tangent. Next thing you know, I'll fire up MADHRA again.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I want ankle protection, less dirt in my shoes, and a feathered color pattern to match my mullet and Skidz trousers. Hightop (or more of a 3/4 top, really, is what I'd want)

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
Why do you guys want the low-top? Not very functional IMO - sh!tty fit, dirt collector, no ankle protection.

High-top just makes more sense... so what's up?

BTW - I would get low-top if that's all that was offered...

trailpoacher

Chimp
Aug 19, 2004
Australia
I need a new pair of Intense/5-10 shoes and so do all of my mates and my girl :heart:

Prefer the hightops because I run bmx cranks and they hit the ankles.
With hightops I dont have to run ankle guards.
If I had aluminum cranks the lowtops would be fine with me.

Lets just get these things back on the market again (high or low top)
like we did for the Adidas Hematomas last year! :thumb:

thumbs up Butchy for your leadership :evil:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I thought I'd want ankle protection but honestly I've ridden with a set of Axo Filter Flat/SPDs and a set of 661 Launch/SPD's for 3 seasons now with no ankle smack issues....not to say I don't like it. I still have my old Shimano DH shoes and the ankle protection is sweet.

But I think the Low Top is more functional "off-bike" so that you can wear it without a geek factor!

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
dude you know my vote high tops are awsome.

i think its awsome showing the world your a biker and to have people give you the what the hell look. its just a lot of fun so go for the hightops. there more functional on the bike and i could care less off the bike thats why i have a second pair of shoes if your that woried about it. k so go with the hightops all the way. :blah:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've got a pair of the old Intense high tops. Best shoes for riding flats ever. :love:

If they can't make both versions, my vote goes for the high tops for the ankle protection and support. People who would want the low tops will probably buy the high tops if that's all they can get, but people like me who prefer high tops probably won't buy the low tops. I don't think one looks any better than the other and don't really care anyway.

I'd buy 2 pairs today if I could. Bring 'em back!!!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I like to use either 661 ankle biters or the race brace. So the low top would be money!

George - you say the low top's are dirt collectors? I've found that more pebbles would get in my shoes with high tops than with low tops.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Muted colors.

Just like the brown/black/silver before.

I look like BOZO in my 5.10s

Still, I love them.

FYI: I forgot to mention above that IMO the "high tops " are actually more like "3/4 tops ". Not like an AXO or 661 or those Oaks... They aren't in the way. May help them stay on better too. And they look like midtop hiking shoes. Someone grab a digi cam and illustr8. I'm terrible w/ pics... Everytime I try to download my lowest size pic it says file is too large.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Acadian said:
I like to use either 661 ankle biters or the race brace. So the low top would be money!

George - you say the low top's are dirt collectors? I've found that more pebbles would get in my shoes with high tops than with low tops.

Agreed and Agreed.

Ankle biters are the only thing I've used that offer really good ankle protection.

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
George - you say the low top's are dirt collectors? I've found that more pebbles would get in my shoes with high tops than with low tops.[/QUOTE]

Hmmph - my bad, I ASSumed that the high-top would be less prone to this (experience w/ low-top only).
The low-tops don't lace up very well, it's almost like the last hole is in the wrong spot.
Oh well, I will get (hopefully) whatever becomes available :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'd be happy with the same design, I've watched big rocks bounce off the front of my high tops and barely felt it so I don't think reinforcement is needed. Plus it will be easier to just use the existing designs, unless Intense owns the designs and doesn't let it happen...

Does anyone know why they stopped making them anyway?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Do you guys really wear smelly, dirty bike shoes with sticky rubber soles 'off the bike?' I mean, I might wear them at times when I'm on a bike trip or something, but then I'm pretty much wearing all smelly, dirty stuff and the hightop shoes fit right in.

My ankles are bruised and skinless regardless of what crank and pedal combo I run. I have big-boned ankles, I think.

MD

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MikeD said:
Do you guys really wear smelly, dirty bike shoes with sticky rubber soles 'off the bike?' MD
I don't...plus if you want any life out of these shoes you are better off just wearing them "on the bike" and back in the flip-flops off the bike.

My 5.10's would be shot by now if I had worn them to walk around....

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Mid-high 4-life!

Does that button-tread sole really work that well? Or is it mostly the sticky rubber? Personally I prefer a waffle/herringbone pattern for mating to pins better, but I'd give these a try if they brought them back.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Holy crap Mike I just saw your post count!! Damn.

But yeah I agree, I try to lose my gear as quickly as I can once I get off the bike. Not a fan of hangin out in crusty rank threads.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
OGRipper said:
I've watched big rocks bounce off the front of my high tops and barely felt it so I don't think reinforcement is needed.
define big rock? I've smack my big toe a few time on those North Star rocks and boy does it ever hurt!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I voted for the high top - well more like the 3/4 one that they call a high top.

I've been dying to try those shoes - even picked up some for a Monkey a while ago that were his size.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny, I was actually thinking about Northstar when I wrote that, so I guess that's what I meant by big rocks. I mean, a reinforced toe box would be nice but I'm happy with the existing design and the need for a re-design could keep the shoes off the market.

B-boy

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Prince George/Terrace , B.C.
sent my email too... vote for lowtop! Put up a cross post on observedtrials.net, hopefully there are some trialsin' impact fans like myself. Man I'd hate to have to ride on another shoe after my impacts... Thanks butch!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
MikeD said:
I want ankle protection, less dirt in my shoes, and a feathered color pattern to match my mullet and Skidz trousers. Hightop (or more of a 3/4 top, really, is what I'd want)
Owning both the low and high tops, I can say that the lows actually trap less dirt. The high tops flare away from the ankle a bit and catch quite a bit of dirt, where the low tops contour the foot more closely and keep more dirt out. I do like the ankle protection of the high top but it also rubs a nice shiny spot on my cranks quickly due to their bulkiness. You can use Fox/661 ankle biters with the low tops easily to supplement ankle protection if you like. In the end I don't really care as long as they make a new one and it's not yellow!

Bring back the shoes!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Acadian said:
I don't...plus if you want any life out of these shoes you are better off just wearing them "on the bike" and back in the flip-flops off the bike.

My 5.10's would be shot by now if I had worn them to walk around....
Werd^ on the flip flops homie :cool:

I have had my 5.10/Intense High-tops for almost 3 years now and they are waaaaay beat! I only wear them for riding, if I had worn them for day-to-day, I'm sure they'd be toast long ago. I have been nursing them along knowing that there was no suitable replacement. Thank God my buddy hooked me up a set of the fugly yellow low tops recently. I really like the look of the lows minus the nuclear logo on the back and the fugly yellow color (time to bust out the sharpie!). It's too bad that 5.10 can't be convinced to make both a high and low model...