Quantcast

8 year old killed firing uzi at gun show

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No it wasn't, but I still hold that it might not be unreasonable with adequate training.
Well, you could poke your eye with a fork if you don't know how to use it right.

And while I don't own a gun, I do know about the waste cases at gun shows...

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Anyone who has to let his kid finger diddle an Uzi at a gun show is simply looking for stories to tell around the fir, back at the trailer. Now he has one.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Haha, you're one to talk.

As:
- a US Army combat arms veteran. (That means someone who is trained to fight on the front lines for a living, in case you didn't know.)
- Awarded the "Expert Marksman" title in both rifle, pistol and hand grenade usage.
- Someone who used to be in law enforcement.
- Someone with immediate family in law enforcement now.
- Someone who has taken rediculous numbers of "safety courses" in Kalifornia just to be able to legally carry a concealed weapon.
- Someone who has been hunting his whole life, and has the utmost respect for living things, as opposed to those who eat the meat of creatures they will never know from the supermarket.
All those qualifications and you still needed to invoke the 1800s to make a case for why kids should be allowed to handle guns, when they are already allowed to handle guns. I don't need to qualify my opinion, because I didn't present one. I presented facts.

This is all aside from the fact that you still don't know what my opinion is. I may not even have one. I just like ****ing with you.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
In a duel I'll take the single-shot bolt gun anyday; the other guy can't have one of the evil-black "assault rifles" Feinswine and Shoxer are so hysterical about. As the Marines say, "One shot one kill."
Step back, everyone. Chest-puffing in progress.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Big fan of prone actually.

Particularly if it involves a 5'8", 105 lb blonde with an itch to scratch. (female, for the record and the wannabe clever)

:biggrin:

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
And tanks. You forgot to mention tanks. Armor is cool.
19D Cavalry Scout. Tankers always told us to "move out and draw fire", lol.

http://www.cavhooah.com/cavalry_scout.htm

The "crave danger" bit is hillarious, historically 19D's have an average lifespan of less than thirty seconds after contact with the enemy. (not including Iraq stats) Whoever sees the other guy first wins, basically.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
some would say that teaching a kid that young to shoot is a form of child abuse. in which case, he should be acquitted

every time i read your sig at first i see "excrement", not "excitement".

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
"Under Arizona law, charges can be filed against anyone 8 or older"

"police are pushing to have the boy tried as an adult"

This is not right.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
"Under Arizona law, charges can be filed against anyone 8 or older"

"police are pushing to have the boy tried as an adult"

This is not right.
It is pretty insane, there are a lot of laws where people as young as 12 can be tried as an adult if they have gang colors.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
every time i read your sig at first i see "excrement", not "excitement".
For me, it is the same thing anyway.

Nothing wrong with giving an 8 year old gun training. Giving an 8 year old easy access to a gun not so much. Of course we don't know what kind of access this kid had.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, at least that story puts an end to the "stopping power" debate in the F&MC forum...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
still cheaper than the pending civil suit.

that's going to make for a very uncomfortable funeral. can you imagine?

mom: "wtf are you crying for?"

he can only hope for something like this

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like how a doctor and a police chief are going down for this:

Police Chief Among 4 Indicted in Boy’s Death at Gun Show
By KATIE ZEZIMA

BOSTON — A Massachusetts police chief, two Connecticut men and a gun club were indicted Thursday in the case of an 8-year-old boy killed by a submachine gun he was firing at a gun show.

The boy, Christopher K. Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., accidentally shot himself in the head while taking his turn with a 9-millimeter Micro Uzi on Oct. 26 in Westfield, Mass. He was accompanied by his father, an emergency room doctor, who, the authorities say, had chosen the Uzi for him to fire.

Massachusetts law generally makes it legal for children to fire a weapon if they have parental consent and are supervised by a certified instructor. But that does not apply to machine guns, which may not be fired by anyone under 18.

“There is no exception that would allow a machine gun to be furnished to an 8-year-old, with or without parental consent,” said William M. Bennett, the Hampden County district attorney, who obtained the indictments from a grand jury.

The accident occurred at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo, held at the Westfield Sportsman’s Club. The show was sponsored by COP Firearms and Training, which is owned by Edward B. Fleury, the police chief in Pelham, a western Massachusetts town of some 1,400 people about 30 miles from Westfield.

Mr. Fleury, 51, who has been on sick leave since the accident, is charged with involuntary manslaughter, as are the Westfield club and the two men who the authorities say supplied the Uzi: Domenico Spano of New Milford, Conn., and Carl Guiffre of Hartford.

In addition, Mr. Fleury and the club were each indicted on four counts of furnishing a machine gun to a person under 18. Prosecutors said they knew of at least three children other than Christopher who fired automatic weapons at the show.

Conviction on the manslaughter charges carries punishment of up to 20 years in prison, and on the weapons charges up to 10 years on each count.

Christopher’s father, Charles Bizilj, will not be charged, the authorities said.

“The father,” Mr. Bennett said, “will be punished every day for the rest of his life for what happened.”

The Associated Press quoted Mr. Bennett as saying Mr. Fleury had wrongly assured Mr. Guiffre and Mr. Spano that it was legal for children to fire the Uzi under Massachusetts law.

A woman who identified herself on the telephone as Mr. Fleury’s daughter said he was ill and unavailable for comment.

His lawyer, Charles F. Ksieniewicz, said he and Mr. Fleury were “disappointed” by the indictment, but declined to comment further.

Mr. Spano did not return a message left at his home. Nor did Mr. Guiffre, whom public records list as vice president of Provost’s Precision Pistols in Weatogue, Conn., and former assistant treasurer of the Metacon Gun Club in Simsbury, Conn.

Calls to the Westfield club were not returned.

At a news conference where he announced the charges, Mr. Bennett said Dr. Bizilj (pronounced bah-SEEL) had chosen the Micro Uzi for Christopher to shoot because it was small and, the father thought, would therefore be easier to handle.

“He did not realize its small size actually made it more dangerous,” Mr. Bennett said, adding, “Although it might appear a heavier or longer weapon would be more dangerous, the small size of the weapon together with the rapid rate of fire made it more likely that an 8-year-old would lose control and the muzzle of the weapon would come close to his face, which is what happened here.”

As he fired, Mr. Bennett told The A.P., Christopher was supervised only by a 15-year-old.

Massachusetts already has some of the nation’s strictest gun laws, but Christopher’s death has brought a call for tighter regulation, including that at gun shows, which fall under the jurisdiction of local law enforcement.

Terrel Harris, a spokesman for the state public safety secretary, Kevin Burke, said the department had been “working on seeing what statutes and regulations we might be able to tighten and strengthen,” specifically involving “machine guns, juveniles in possession of guns, and gun clubs.”
Looks like FAIL all the way.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I like how a doctor and a police chief are going down for this:
Doc's not going down. Doc is the father... his punishment is living with himself.

But yeah, the chief and the booth owners are getting the book. Deserved all around. I'm all for learning how to be safe and responsible with firearms from a young age, especially in a household that HAS firearms, but I have no idea where FIRING auto or semi-auto weapons would ever fit into that education process.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
He was accompanied by his father, an emergency room doctor, who, the authorities say, had chosen the Uzi for him to fire.
You would think that an emergency room doctor would have enough experience with bullet wounds to not place his 8 year old at risk.

I am baffled at the lack of common sense that some highly educated people have.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
You would think that an emergency room doctor would have enough experience with bullet wounds to not place his 8 year old at risk.

I am baffled at the lack of common sense that some highly educated people have.
Knowing about dealing with the results of gunshot wounds and knowing about firing a weapon like an Uzi yourself are two totally different things. *shrugs*

Yep that Doc has to live with himself (and his partners reactions) for the rest of his life, so he is going to be suffering for a loooong time.
The range instructor I think carry's the majority of the blame for this.
Why did he allow a small child to use a weapon of that size?
Why was the child not properly supervised when firing it?