Quantcast

888 Sl Ata

TEGO

Chimp
Feb 5, 2007
I just picked up a 888SL for my wife last week. She went from an 05 888rc to the 888SL ATA, and is loving it. She is very impressed at how much better the fork tracks for her than the coil 888. She is very light at 115#, so it has always been tough to spring a fork light enough for her. I am amazed at how plush the fork is out of the box, and found it easy to tune. I like the way you can use the two air chamber to tune the spring rate. I had no problem setting it up super soft off the top with a nice gentle rising rate through the stroke. I have briefly ridden the air Boxxer a couple of times and thought it felt pretty nice for an air fork, but the 888 SL felt like a coil 888 that was more tune-able. I think I'll be running one this season instead of the 888WC.
Just what I wanted to hear. At 176, I guess that'll be my next move. I also run a 05 888rc and was wondering how the 888 SL ATA would work. How about pricing? Is talking $$ prohibited? Thanks again!

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
ok now i have ridden my 888sl a few times....since all the dh tracks around are closed, i just had the chance to ride some trails full of mud, lots of roots, some frozen dirt at the top of the hill, so it seemed like a weird slipepry rock garden. anyway:
first impressions: the fork looks kick ass, the quality of the work on the caps is very impressive. out of the box feels way plusher than expected for an air fork, still not as plush as another 888rc2xva we got at the shop(out of the box). used the table stickered to the left leg to set it up the first time....it sucks. u really have to play a couple of times with both chambers, and for me using the suggested pressure on the b-out chamber just seems to lock the last 2 inches of travel...the compression adjuster seems to have a much stronger effect with just a few cliks...which is cool imo....what i don t like is the rebound adjuster....it gets the work done, but for me the cliks are to separated, and the setting i want lies just between cliks...i ll have to open it and take the lil srping and ball out.
on the hill:
very light fork compared to my 888rc, with the pressures set up right, the fork feels bottomless, not really progressive that it will bother me, and the first inches of travel just track smooth like butter. ...which i really appreciated cause of the moody roots and frozen dirt i was riding on. had some thoughts about air leakin cause of the temperatures...controlled this and didn t happen (-10°C at the top and around 2°C at the bottom). the travel adjustment is a very cool option...but i don t think i will be using the whole range of it cause it just messes with the geo of my bike and would habe to move the crowns if i wanted to drop it and ride it at 160mm....but dropping it to 180mm was allright and liked it for tighter turns...the travel adjustment didn t seem to mess around with the general adjustments regarding progressiveness and all that.
all in all i don t regret it at all, i think the value for this fork is amazing. and i am pretty sure the second generation will cost more just with some minor adjustments. between a 888wc and the 888sl....not caring about the money...i would buy the 888sl.
cheers

ps: couldn t find my post titled "woooooooohooooo" in the lounge....was it deleted?...why!!!...got some cool stories...involving downhilling on a wheelchair stolen from the hospital and a higly motivated croatian chik.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
mine is sitting in a box next to its little brothers (2 4x, 1 66sl ata) from what i have heard they ride amazingly but can be finicky to set up at first

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
if you had a major air leak the fork would sink into the travel, but mind you thats pretty way out there in terms of probability of it happening. id considering something like the fork suddenly losing oil to be a lot more likely. on top of that, of the possible leaks you could get in a system like that, only a leak thru the top cap, where you have a shraeder valve (pretty reliable and with a threaded cap to boot) and a large, fine threaded top cap with an o-ring (almost zero chance to have a major air loss w/o a huge, deforming impact) would make the fork sink ito its travel, and even if that happened, there would still be some air in the bottom chamber.
I had a Marathon come without any oil in the negative chamber. The seals failed and the positive air was sucked into the negative chamber, causing the fork to sink lower and lower. As the fork compresses, the neg chamber gets larger. Marzocchi sent me a new cartridge and eveyrthing was fine.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
ok now i have ridden my 888sl a few times....since all the dh tracks around are closed, i just had the chance to ride some trails full of mud, lots of roots, some frozen dirt at the top of the hill, so it seemed like a weird slipepry rock garden. anyway:
first impressions: the fork looks kick ass, the quality of the work on the caps is very impressive. out of the box feels way plusher than expected for an air fork, still not as plush as another 888rc2xva we got at the shop(out of the box). used the table stickered to the left leg to set it up the first time....it sucks. u really have to play a couple of times with both chambers, and for me using the suggested pressure on the b-out chamber just seems to lock the last 2 inches of travel...the compression adjuster seems to have a much stronger effect with just a few cliks...which is cool imo....what i don t like is the rebound adjuster....it gets the work done, but for me the cliks are to separated, and the setting i want lies just between cliks...i ll have to open it and take the lil srping and ball out.
on the hill:
very light fork compared to my 888rc, with the pressures set up right, the fork feels bottomless, not really progressive that it will bother me, and the first inches of travel just track smooth like butter. ...which i really appreciated cause of the moody roots and frozen dirt i was riding on. had some thoughts about air leakin cause of the temperatures...controlled this and didn t happen (-10°C at the top and around 2°C at the bottom). the travel adjustment is a very cool option...but i don t think i will be using the whole range of it cause it just messes with the geo of my bike and would habe to move the crowns if i wanted to drop it and ride it at 160mm....but dropping it to 180mm was allright and liked it for tighter turns...the travel adjustment didn t seem to mess around with the general adjustments regarding progressiveness and all that.
all in all i don t regret it at all, i think the value for this fork is amazing. and i am pretty sure the second generation will cost more just with some minor adjustments. between a 888wc and the 888sl....not caring about the money...i would buy the 888sl.
cheers

ps: couldn t find my post titled "woooooooohooooo" in the lounge....was it deleted?...why!!!...got some cool stories...involving downhilling on a wheelchair stolen from the hospital and a higly motivated croatian chik.
Yeti - you are tha man.

I've been waiting for your review, and so far it sounds like a pretty good fork. I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting one for 08'.

BIG changes on the horizon for Marz stuff in the future BTW.;)

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Yeti - you are tha man.

I've been waiting for your review, and so far it sounds like a pretty good fork. I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting one for 08'.

BIG changes on the horizon for Marz stuff in the future BTW.;)
yeah...wanted to post a review before...but was too busy with school and then getting drunk:pirate2: i really want to open the fork, but the bike shop is closed for 3 weeks. guess vitox should post some pics, cause i m sure he has taken it apart allready, if not..wait a few weeks until first oil change comes...and:
does this mean i get my "wooohooo" post back?
and what exactly do u mean by changes for zoki?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
true true i have taken it apart but i dont want to get ahead of myself because i want to do some more testing and perhaps some slight tweaks and im too busy with VCA at the moment, ill wait till my mechanic comes back (if he survives his vacations) then get back to posting

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
ordered mine today. Should have them early next week. Can't wait to get them on my bike.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
ordered mine today. Should have them early next week. Can't wait to get them on my bike.
let us know what settings u re running:
me, 97kg, 130psi in b-out, 145psi in preload, 16cliks from full open in rebound, and 2 cliks from full open in compression...this is now for mud riding with frozen ground sometimes....really looking forward to try the fork in some gnarly dh track, maybe then some more progressivity or more compression will come in handy.
and congratulations on ur new fork

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
cool will start with your settings and see how i get on from there. Just realised i never ordered the integrated stem. Rang the wholesalers up and there out of stock. Which means im gonna have to pay full price so any recomendations on a stem. Was looking at the funn ones.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
had a look at them think I'm gonna stick with the funn one I think it looks nicer and there a bit cheaper. By about $30

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
can a 888rc2x be converted to air?
nothing is impossible....and i still haven't completely disassembled mine to be able to say if it is just a catridges swaping thing...but all in all i m quite sure it would be much less work and safer to get a new one....but you re welcome to try it and post about the experience.

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Converting non-air 888`s to air involves nothing more than removing the springs on both sides, and exchange the cartridge in the left leg (on a 06 rc2) with the air spring. You will also have to buy the top-cap\adjusters for the sl-ata. I haven`t been able to try this myself, since i cannot get the cartridges by them selves for another couple of months. But i had a long chat with the Norwegian distributor, and got all green lights for the operation.

Fredrik

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
they arrived today can't wait to get them fitted and get a chance to ride them but its looking like its gonna be the weekend before i have a chance.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
finally got mine fitted. There really nice easy to setup and look great. Only time will tell how they ride. Have a race this weekend so hopefully they'll bag me a podium.

Only one issue with them. Why do they have a 6" post mount and not an 8"? It doesn't seem to make much sence as nearly anyone who will be riding an 888 will use an 8" or bigger rotor. Anyone else think its a bit stupid.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
yep i thought it was strange too, it would of been nice just
to bolt straight up without the use of an adaptor for 8"

Oh well, I guess it gives you the option to run 6" rotors

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
It's business.. Their pals, the brake manufacturers, need to sell adaptors...Get that paper, feed their families....

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Can you convert a 06 888rc2x to air?
Is it just one cartridge? Or are the both sides are with cartridges?
And what do you have in every side?

Does someone have a PDF of the inside? (Of the sl ata?)?

Thanks

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
finally got mine fitted. There really nice easy to setup and look great. Only time will tell how they ride. Have a race this weekend so hopefully they'll bag me a podium.

Only one issue with them. Why do they have a 6" post mount and not an 8"? It doesn't seem to make much sence as nearly anyone who will be riding an 888 will use an 8" or bigger rotor. Anyone else think its a bit stupid.
yeah i think the more compatibility is a good point....and really do not think that someone can feed their family selling adapters.
what settings are u running?

fubuki

Chimp
Dec 5, 2004
PNW
Mounted mine up on Friday and had to send it back on Monday. It was leaking air like crazy. Hopefully they get it back to me soon.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
yeah i think the more compatibility is a good point....and really do not think that someone can feed their family selling adapters.
Im using xts with 203mm rotors which means i need a 6"post mount to 8" post mount adaptor. Not a huge deal will have it tomorrow. I just think it would be nice to be able to bolt it straight on like i had done on my dorado. Its just simpler and less hassle. It also means i could have ridden my bike tonight. Instead i ended up doing an xc night race and am now suffering like i don't know what.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
You don't listen much to rap music do you? Check Common out. It was partially ironic since the big bucks will come from the brake sales. But if your a car manufacturer/sales person and you are going to try get every single penny you can from selling customers options to go with their new fat purchase.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
hey al-irl, how much do you weigh?

wondering how the SL would feel for a lighter rider, just as i've heard a few reports that they are overly progressive.

my preference is for a linear and lightly sprung fork, that I can run a fair amount of compression damping on and still use all the travel.

wondering if the SL will allow me to do this, or if i'll have issues with progressivity.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i weigh about 90kg. I haven't ridden the fork yet will get a chance tomorrow. Ill let you know how i get on.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
first ride today and I'm well impressed. I found them a little tricky to get setup right. The guide on the fork for my weight was way to stiff so had to drop the pressure a bit to get them to perform better on the small bumps. Now i have them setup resonably well although I'm sure i haven't finished tinkering with them yet. So far i've found them to be super plush and the travell is bottomless. I like the bottom out adjuster feature. Means i can run them nice and soft and have them ramp up towards the end of the travell. The only thing i have found a little off putting is the noise of they make when riding. It just sounds a bit wierd but you soon forget about it.

Anyway they get a big thumbs up on first ride impressions and only time will tell as to how they hold up long term.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I'm pretty impressed with mine. Felt good out of the box, and has tons of adjusment. Yeah, the Marz reccomended pressures made it feel like a 2x4. I run it much softer.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
first ride today and I'm well impressed. I found them a little tricky to get setup right. The guide on the fork for my weight was way to stiff so had to drop the pressure a bit to get them to perform better on the small bumps. Now i have them setup resonably well although I'm sure i haven't finished tinkering with them yet. So far i've found them to be super plush and the travell is bottomless. I like the bottom out adjuster feature. Means i can run them nice and soft and have them ramp up towards the end of the travell. The only thing i have found a little off putting is the noise of they make when riding. It just sounds a bit wierd but you soon forget about it.

Anyway they get a big thumbs up on first ride impressions and only time will tell as to how they hold up long term.
what sound?...

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
you can here the air in them being compressed as you ride. You can also here it when people are riding past you that are using the fork. Didn't notice it today

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Converting non-air 888`s to air involves nothing more than removing the springs on both sides, and exchange the cartridge in the left leg (on a 06 rc2) with the air spring. You will also have to buy the top-cap\adjusters for the sl-ata. I haven`t been able to try this myself, since i cannot get the cartridges by them selves for another couple of months. But i had a long chat with the Norwegian distributor, and got all green lights for the operation.

Fredrik
sounds interesting, id be definately interested to try this out

definately need a exploded view of the ATA to compare the insides

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I'm pretty impressed with mine. Felt good out of the box, and has tons of adjusment. Yeah, the Marz reccomended pressures made it feel like a 2x4. I run it much softer.
Same problem here as I'm trying to set up a new 66 SL1 ATA. Also the rebound adjust doesn't do much. I have a coil 66RC2 and a coil 888RC2 so I know what this thing should be feeling like....not very experienced with air systems....any leads here for the 66 air version? Suggest air pressures? Manual is utter crap. I weigh 205 lbs w/ gear. Thanks