Quantcast

$93 ebay ti spring?

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Just more FYI, two more weights:

Fox SLS 450 x 2.75 - 362g
RCS Ti 450 x 2.75 - 363g

I had a Manitou spring on my DH rig at one point that was stupidly light compared to the normal steel and lighter than other ti springs I had access to. Wish I could find one of those in a 450 x 2.5 or 2.75.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I took some pics of AVA (Avalanche) and Obtanium springs on the scale for comparison.
AVA 450 x 3 = 309g
Obtanium 400 x 3 = 320g
Both are light!
RD3 - are those standard length? or are they designed to be used with a spacer(like the lightweight stendec steel springs)?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
RD3 - are those standard length? or are they designed to be used with a spacer(like the lightweight stendec steel springs)?
They are standard length, but note the low coil count compared to other ti springs. They both have a large inside diameter so they fit larger body shocks like Avy, etc.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
They are standard length, but note the low coil count compared to other ti springs. They both have a large inside diameter so they fit larger body shocks like Avy, etc.
yeah I see how low the coil count is, reason I asked is because I saw a review of the original obtainium springs and they were used with a spacer. thats pretty crazy though, your 450x3 is a full 120g lighter than mine. I could have saved almost a whole pound with that spring! lol. i wonder why there is so much variance between manufacturers of ti springs, you would think they would all make them with a low coil count and save material on their end and increase the margins. sell a lighter spring, make customers happier, save material, make more money.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
FYI I received a super alloy racing spring yesterday for my 8.5x2.5 db coil. It's barely lighter than a standard steel coil at 512g (500lb) with the POM spacers installed. Not worth the price increase over standard steel. I'm sending it back.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
FYI I received a super alloy racing spring yesterday for my 8.5x2.5 db coil. It's barely lighter than a standard steel coil at 512g (500lb) with the POM spacers installed. Not worth the price increase over standard steel. I'm sending it back.
overlord.jpg

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
My intended ti spring purchase fell through.

After looking around a little, I also found this guy is selling "ultra-light" models that are coming in around the 300g mark, which is quite competitive. I'm not sure about the quality though, especially in terms of accuracy of spring rate, not rubbing on the shock body etc.

Has anyone had any dealings with other J and L ti stuff?

There's been satisfied customers over on mtbr, but I wanted to get some opinions from others on this forum.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Speaking of Ti springs. I've got this Obtainium ti spring collecting dust in the garage. 350 x 3.00. Don't quite remember what shock it was on. Fox or Marzocchi I assume. Remember the Rocco? Yes, it's that old, but hasn't been used in ages. PM If interested.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Not for RS. :(
I assume an imperial shock of decent size?

The new RS metric stuff seems to have the new generation lightweight steel.
I am having a RS coil tuned at Avalanche at the moment.
I asked Craig about one of his Ti springs - he said it was not worth it as the new RS metric lightweight steel stuff is almost the same weight and under 40 bucks. The older imperial sized springs are old heavy tech and have not been updated. Apparently nobody has been doing much work on Ti springs, so they are all old-skool. The work has gone into steel spring materials tech instead.

For me we are talking a 185x55 trunion shock, so a small lightweight steel spring is competitive. I wonder how well this scales - if it holds under all sizes or is there a size where Ti steps into a worthwhile lead?

Bet that really helps huh? :rolleyes: :busted:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Speaking of Ti springs. I've got this Obtainium ti spring collecting dust in the garage. 350 x 3.00. Don't quite remember what shock it was on. Fox or Marzocchi I assume. Remember the Rocco? Yes, it's that old, but hasn't been used in ages. PM If interested.
Thanks mate, but I'm looking for a 450 x 2.75. Shame though, as an Obtanium is that old school high tech gear.

On that note, if anyone has a 450 x 2.75 high quality ti spring they want to offload, then please let me know.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I assume an imperial shock of decent size?

The new RS metric stuff seems to have the new generation lightweight steel.
I am having a RS coil tuned at Avalanche at the moment.
I asked Craig about one of his Ti springs - he said it was not worth it as the new RS metric lightweight steel stuff is almost the same weight and under 40 bucks. The older imperial sized springs are old heavy tech and have not been updated. Apparently nobody has been doing much work on Ti springs, so they are all old-skool. The work has gone into steel spring materials tech instead.

For me we are talking a 185x55 trunion shock, so a small lightweight steel spring is competitive. I wonder how well this scales - if it holds under all sizes or is there a size where Ti steps into a worthwhile lead?

Bet that really helps huh? :rolleyes: :busted:
In some ways? Haha

I also messaged Craig a few months ago, he said he's not making them anymore and recommended an SLS or similar spring. They seem decent, cheaper than ti, may not have the longevity though from what I hear.

Plus the bling factor is not there.

All in all, still on the hunt for a ti spring!

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Pulled the trigger on the J&L ultra light ti spring. Comes in at just over 280g, which is really competitive for a 450 x 2.75. No ride-time on it yet, will have to wait for the weekend to try it out, but promising so far....

Spring weight comparison.jpg

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am in a similar boat, I want a light spring which isn't an sls due to the color. Thinking I might get one of these JL's for my insurgent...

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I got J&Ls in 500 and 550x3.5" for my Sur-ron. They seem fine. Shorter and much lighter than the Fox 500x3.5 and no one else even makes a 550x3.5.
Any chance you weighed it? I'm looking for a lighter spring for my 10.5x3.5 Vivid. Impossible to find a Ti 3.5 spring, particularly for the Vivid. Damn steel 400lb steel coil weighs over 800g.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Both the J&L 500&550×3.5" springs were 510g(?). They assured me that the spring rates were tested before shipping. The Fox 500×3.64" spring is 910g. The next length Fox makes below that is 3.25", which is on my GF's bike but it makes me nervous.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
It's unfortunate that good new Ti springs aren't all that prevalent. Every steel spring I've used (doesn't matter who makes it - new gen lights ones or conventional heavy), the coating wears off quickly & they rust.