Quantcast

(a belated) merry xmas to me (contains fiber)

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Banshee - Thats how I run my small Izimu 7" 40, slackest shock mount. I am 5"9' and can't turn as well as I would like (read go faster then I should and then can't make the turn) this seems to be the best set up for me.
yeah alot of the morewoods i have seen are run in the middleish shock position so i figured id make it as slack as possible with the lowest bb height and drop my fork a notch or 2, to make the bb low and a decent ha... also considering that i manly ride east coast tight courses so a super slack headangle is not my main concern
and im like 5'10" and ordered a large, so we'll see how i like that

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
hey guys; i got a question for ya! is there a video somewhere that shows the flex in the stays? usually my brain is so fantastical that i can visualize the linkage moving, but its like 6 in the goddam morning and the redbull is killing me.:shocked:

correct me if i'm wrong please but to me it looks like as the rear wheel arches back in a smooth constant curve, the chainstays tug on the lower link wich also moves in a circular arching path(sorry for my pathetic termilogies). the radius of the lower link is smaller so it raises quicker wich pushes the chainstays up, their [chainstays] own pivot being near the rear axle and the "pusher" being the lower link.

so a prediction would be that with no shock in the frame you would have to overcome the pressure of the chainstays before the suspension activates?:lighten:

someone shoot this down or confirm it so that i dont boggle my mind one more day with these beauties.

ps. xy9ine: wheres the sram hollow pin chains?:huh:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yes the rear wheel travels backwards+upwards,as it does it pulls on the chainstay and yes the loaded(bent a bit at static)chainstay straightens out(tiny amount)The force it takes to straighten and activeate the shock overlap due to the chainstay straightening throughout the entire travel. Easiest to picture it like a "Horselink(Horst)",and the straightening chain stay replaces the need for the rear pivot.Dont picture any other part like a Horst link,just the rear pivot on a horst link.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
ok, the answer to this will just complete the puzzle. if you take the shock out of the frame.. the suspension @ "static" will slightly compress because the stays are "prebent". i didn't know that someone would think of this and decide to put it into the bike. it doesn't surprise me that its on this bike in particular though. everything about this bike is awesome.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Let me put it this way,if you remove the 222mm shock the gap between the shock mounts at static will be less than 222mm as there's no preload bending the stays,or the stays have straightened reducing the shock space. Or if you remove the spring and replace the shock it will use up some shock travel at static.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
this is the swingarm's static position with no shock (lower stay is built staight; it's bent downwards slightly with the shock in place). it seems like this contributes to the really plush first couple inches of travel as well (ie, the bike sags a little under its own weight).

stitches - it comes with nice rohloff chains - i can live with their lack of hollow-ness (for a while...).