Quantcast

(a belated) merry xmas to me (contains fiber)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Pardon my ignorance.......but what is so good about this bike? Is this just another exotic bike?
i'm not going to claim its all-conquering greatness without having ridden it, but carbon construction & gearbox configurations are bleeding edge in the realm of dh frame design. the fact that its race proven ('06 junior world champ winner) & (semi) available to buy to the public at a reasonable price are neat aspects as well. i personally love exotics (in a variety of genres) - cars, motos, bikes - passionate & talented people pushing the boundaries of design & manufacturing. the cool thing about bikes is that exotica is within the realm of attainability for the average joe. granted, they're not for everyone - production bikes can offer better value, support, etc, but i love being able to support the talented little guys (like aaron) who are advancing the technology ahead of the major players.

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
yes. going a bit stir crazy here. your bike looks awesome. i saw it on farkin (bought from nsm - poor guy); have you had a proper ride on it yet ( i think i read you were injured)?
Yep, damaged cartilage in left knee. Did get one good ride on it over the new year before aggravating the knee. It’s super stable at speed which allowed me to get pretty lazy with line choice. Rocks, ruts & roots can be hit with more confidence and more speed. I did find the geometry to be a little too raked out with the tall crown 888s, so I have swapped to a pair of 03-04 Boxxers with a Mojo kit in them & I’m hoping to test out that combo this weekend.

Your build-up is looking awesome so far, by the time the snow melts, your gonna have one hell of a sweet ride!

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Congrats and happy riding to xy9ine, dazz and konastab(?namechange?). Also to local Scotty who picked his m9 up last week.
The racers deserve a mention, a 1,2,3 at the nationals round in Dunedin yesterday.Great work Laharians!:clapping:
Dave Scandrett age 16 won the u19 race on the old #1 m8 bike. (which has done seasons under 7 podium pro and juniors). amazingly hes been struggling with glandular fever repercusions though you wouldn't know it with the 5 races he won in nov-dec incl 4 fastest times of the day- one against Cameron.
Cameron Cole age 18 came second in the pro men behind a visiting french pro but took top NZ placing ahead of Sam Blenkinsop.
Olivia Johnston took 3rd in pro women behind x world champions Vanessa quin and Scarlett hagen on her m9.
The photo is Cam winning the nth Island champ final last month.

Attachments

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
Congrats and happy riding to xy9ine, dazz and konastab(?namechange?). Also to local Scotty who picked his m9 up last week.
The racers deserve a mention, a 1,2,3 at the nationals round in Dunedin yesterday.Great work Laharians!:clapping:
Dave Scandrett age 16 won the u19 race on the old #1 m8 bike. (which has done seasons under 7 podium pro and juniors). amazingly hes been struggling with glandular fever repercusions though you wouldn't know it with the 5 races he won in nov-dec incl 4 fastest times of the day- one against Cameron.
Cameron Cole age 18 came second in the pro men behind a visiting french pro but took top NZ placing ahead of Sam Blenkinsop.
Olivia Johnston took 3rd in pro women behind x world champions Vanessa quin and Scarlett hagen on her m9.
The photo is Cam winning the nth Island champ final last month.
Hey Aaron, is there any identifying serial no's or anything like that on the frame's? I think there is a few of us that'd like to know where to look.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Amazing technology but it has to be the ugliest bike I think I've seen. Seriously.
yeah, response to aesthetics sems to be farily polarized. a love/hate kinda thing. not surprisingly, i'm in the other camp & think its the most gorgeous thing ever & can't keep myself from staring at it, and caressing its sensuous curves... speaking of which, i finally got it built - need to snap some pix...

ride2.5

Chimp
Nov 29, 2006
That thing is Badass! Looking at these pictures got me interested.... are these bikes really lasting 7 years of racing without breaking? That is amazing if true.

I couldn't find any geometry listings, do any of guys have that? Also what's the travel?

Sorry for the questions, it's just hard to get info on this bike.

Thanks

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
I still don't get it…even less now. 47 lbs? Aside from the Rohloff, what's the big advantage? I owned a Nucleon ST that was in the same weight ballpark. AND with 2.2" tires. It looks like a garbage bag with all the air sucked out of it. No offense, really…I respect the fact that it's different and the craftsmanship, but I still don't understand what's the attraction / advantage.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
it might not be the lightest thing out there, but with the carbon and the internal gears i bet that thing accelerates like it is 40 lbs. nice build man i deffinatly like, and they look a lot better with a full build on it IMO. enjoy man and cant wait to see ride shots.:clapping:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I still don't get it…even less now. 47 lbs? Aside from the Rohloff, what's the big advantage? I owned a Nucleon ST that was in the same weight ballpark. AND with 2.2" tires. It looks like a garbage bag with all the air sucked out of it. No offense, really…I respect the fact that it's different and the craftsmanship, but I still don't understand what's the attraction / advantage.
ah - its 47" wheelbase. weight is about 39.5lbs as it sits. as i said before, its a relatively light, durable, race-tested gearbox platform available to buy now (for about half the price of a nucleon tst). add carbon fiber to the mix (i'm an exotic materials whore), and a really neat chassis / suspension configuration, and you've got a package that was irresistable - to me. you obviously have a different set of characteristics you look for in a frame & that's cool - to each his own.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
it's an old hope m4 caliper - they came like that. dind't have the right adaptor for my mono, so tossed that on. surprisingly good, those old brakes.
well then i'm gonna be original when i polish mine! :busted:

bike looks phenomenal by the way...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
it's an old hope m4 caliper - they came like that. dind't have the right adaptor for my mono, so tossed that on. surprisingly good, those old brakes.
best brakes I have ever used. To this day I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pair that modulate and stop like those do. Keep it forever.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
It's pretty much the most ballinist **** you could ever do to a bike.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
a couple quick snaps with a non-focussing camera:

approx specs:

9" travel
64 ha
16.75 cs
47" wb
14bb (with 2.2 tires & slammed boxxer)
~39.5lb
While I was skeptical at first, that is possibly the nicest bike I have EVER seen.

:clapping:

Amazing.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Wow, that whole setup looks great! I had a couple questions though about your Rohloff hub/gearing:

How many teeth:
-On your back wheel?
-On the chainring on the rohloff hub itself?
-On the sprocket on the rohloff hub?

I was assuming your frame was going to use the external shift box on the rohloff hub. How does it shift as it is without? Do you have any play in the shifter or is everything super tight and smoothe. I find with the external shifter box on my bike, I have play and that's because there are two little cogs inside the the external box that don't interface as tight as I'd want them to (if this at all makes any sense). Maybe they're not designed to, who knows.

Last thing, any leads on where to get the rebuild fluids for this thing??

Thanks a lot! Again, it looks good!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
thanks, man.

18t bmx freewheel, 24t granny on rohloff; cant remember what the small cog is. maybe 14?

my buddy had a rohloff with the shift box on his bike - i know what you mean (though i don't recall significant play). mine is nice & tight.

haven't looked into local rohloff support yet; john henry was selling them, not sure if they have service stuff.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I just noticed the way the chainring is mounted to the hub. Much smarter system compared to the Nucleon and 100% easier to replace.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I just noticed the way the chainring is mounted to the hub. Much smarter system compared to the Nucleon and 100% easier to replace.
yeah; it's a really elegant system. effectively the same configuration as the old nucleon, just lots less metal. i still wonder why nicolai (re: g-boxx) insists on having an enclosed primary drive chain with proprietary cranks / bb, etc when this configuration offers much more suspension design freedom with lighter weight, less expense, etc.

random observation (just had my first ride this weekend): the gripshift isn't that bad. actually don't mind it. i set it up with a long grip so i can ride without my hand on the shifter & the ergonomics are fine. nice to be able to dump a bunch of gears quickly as well. huh.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Chris,th rohloff distributaor where you are should have a kit.
It comes witha syriene,cleaning fluid and new old.
Really simple to do from what I have heard.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
yeah; it's a really elegant system. effectively the same configuration as the old nucleon, just lots less metal. i still wonder why nicolai (re: g-boxx) insists on having an enclosed primary drive chain with proprietary cranks / bb, etc when this configuration offers much more suspension design freedom with lighter weight, less expense, etc.
Well, I think it's a question of having something that's all integrated and self contained. Plus, with having the hub inside the frame, I think it gets it closer to the bottom bracket.