Quantcast

a few notes from Deer Valley NCS

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
Pits are EMPTY! a good number of riders are now at the Jeep race in Calif., or at the Freeride comp (wherever the hell it is), or chillin up in Canada - waiting for the World Cup in MSA next weekend.

John Kirkaldie crashed hard on the DH course today. Dropped of one of the rocky sections up top (i think the waterfall section) & ended up seperating his shoulder, & bruising the rest of his body. his knees were numb for a while, possibly sprained his wrist. He's still going to attempt to race tomorrow.

Just found out that Kathy Pruitt broke her right hand on Friday. on the same rock section as JK crashed, ...but apparently Kathy went offline & smacked her hand into a tree. Although i'm sure it's not feeling great...Kathy said that she had broked her left hand in the past w/ similar fractures that had more pain that what she was feeling today. She's apparently going to try & race tomorrow -- all depending hon how her hand feels in practice. the Doc set her up w/ a good splint that will allow her to grip the handlebar & brake fine.

Bryn Atkinson is in town, but unable to race. He crashed hard out at the World Cup in Austria last week & is still feeling pain in his lower back. The USA Cycling Doc checked him out a few min ago & said it that it didn't look like he broke any bones, but it's more likely he has some deep bruising.

Mick Hannah flew in LATE thurs eve. missing the day's practice. Apparently he had travel problems...not sure if it was a Visa issue, but apparently he did have to fly from Austria to AUSTRALIA (to get his Visa? straightened out), THEN to the US. Although he missed a FULL DAY's worth of practice, he's looking extremely fast & has all the right lines down.

Minnaar & Kovarik look to be the guys to beat this weekend. both are hauling a$$ & are taking lines & jumping sections that no one is able to match. JK would have definately be a good bet to be on the podium, but since his injury today....we'll see where he ends up. Joel Panozzo is also racing, but his kit is sooooooo dark (& he was wearing a t-shirt for friday practice) that i hardly recoginized him. Other riders to watch (like any other race).... Mick Hannah, Jared Graves, Jared Rando...

In the women's field, Kathy Pruitt would have been the top pick for the women's dh win, but with her injury....her percentage drops a tad. however there honestly isn't much competition for her...so even w/ a broken hand, she still might provail! Her toughest competition would have to be either Bernardita Pizarro (who "IS" on the Cannondale squad) or Mio Suemasa. HOWEVER, Berni hasn't really raced since World's last season & Mio apparently had a pretty big crash this weekend - possibly broken arm or collarbone?

A few old faces back in town. Scotty Ybarra made a stop. I haven't spoken to him yet, but i saw him cruising around the pits catching up w/ people. Dogboy is also in the house. He's in the US handing biz for his company YD OPEN DIST.

That's it for now....i'm bored to death...nothing to do...except drink. Got a nice big bottle of[ Australian] Bundy Rum from Jared Graves.....maybe it'll be enough to forget this weekend?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
awesome report bro.
are they running the course they introduced the last year they had a Nat there...the one that has Barney Rubble and the "Spin Cycle" in it? There weren't a lot of pros crashing out the last time around???

Kovarik was definitely the guy to beat, even over Nico and Peaty, until he went flying off in the rocks in Barney Rubble.

Don't understand what this "waterfall" thing is?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
merrrrjig said:
yes that is the course with barney rubble and spin cycle, this is the rock waterfall:
oh...OK...see on the East Coast, when you say waterfall, there's water going down it. Windrock waterfall's got water, Snowshoe's waterfall has water, the waterfall section at Mt. Snow has...gooey water?

Seriously though, now that I see your photo I recognize that....tight turn around a tree and then down the rock face around that MASSIVE root. So why are the pros eating it there? I remember it not being all that hard. Thanks again for the photos...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Ahhh, thanks JDD for an update...love it.

If I am not mistaken didnt Pruitt break her hand at the WC finals 2 seasons ago as well? Kirkaldie down, but possibly not out. As fast as that crackhead rides in practice I can only imagine how gnar that crash was.

I talked to Lopes today, he was 3rd in Jeep quali, Bootes 2nd and Prokop 1st. He said its a fun track on a "perfect grade of a hill for this kind of stuff", said its going to be hard to win tomm. but he will give it a go. He did say Bryn wadded hard in europe but didnt know if he would race in Utah.

Miss Deer Valley, it was always the Mrs's and I' favorite town to chill in...now that the NCS series is dead as a doornail would be a great time to go (maybe the reason why Jeff and Jenn went eh! haha). Any vibe from the promoters on no one coming to their event pro wise?

How bout amateur sign ups, same as normal, less, more?

Keep us posted man and appreciate the stories.
Party like a rock star

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
stiksandstones said:
Ahhh, thanks JDD for an update...love it.

If I am not mistaken didnt Pruitt break her hand at the WC finals 2 seasons ago as well? Kirkaldie down, but possibly not out. As fast as that crackhead rides in practice I can only imagine how gnar that crash was.

I talked to Lopes today, he was 3rd in Jeep quali, Bootes 2nd and Prokop 1st. He said its a fun track on a "perfect grade of a hill for this kind of stuff", said its going to be hard to win tomm. but he will give it a go. He did say Bryn wadded hard in europe but didnt know if he would race in Utah.

Miss Deer Valley, it was always the Mrs's and I' favorite town to chill in...now that the NCS series is dead as a doornail would be a great time to go (maybe the reason why Jeff and Jenn went eh! haha). Any vibe from the promoters on no one coming to their event pro wise?

Keep us posted man and appreciate the stories.
Party like a rock star

I don't know about the turn out, it seemed about like what most people thought it would be fun. They however have been pissing alot of the ams off with the schedule constantly changing and the fact they are constantly running behind on the events. I know the Pros weren't to happy with practice today with them moving the sp/beg practice to the same time the line was huge to get on the lift.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Thanks Z...same ole song and dance I guess.

Until there are no more customers, that store (NCS) will stay in business forever.

At the end of the day though, it is Deer Valley, cool town, nice weather, o right town folk and fun riding. So, party on.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Zutroy said:
I don't know about the turn out, it seemed about like what most people thought it would be fun. They however have been pissing alot of the ams off with the schedule constantly changing and the fact they are constantly running behind on the events. I know the Pros weren't to happy with practice today with them moving the sp/beg practice to the same time the line was huge to get on the lift.
How do you do something for so long and get worse at it? :thumb:

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
stiksandstones said:
I don't know about numbers for DH or Slalom (though there seemed to be a lot of us) but at the starting line for Super D they said they were expecting under 100 competitors and had 230. And said that's why the schedule kept changing - more competitors made all the events take that much longer, even though they compressed start times for Super D.

Still sucks when times keep changing - I was in a mad rush to get from DH practice to the DS race and then stood there waiting for over an hour and a half and I was starving and dehydrated by the time we started. Fun to watch the pros though, which I didn't think I'd get to see, so that was a plus.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
bizutch said:
damnit, stop whining. Tell me about the course and how you felt afterwards...what freaked you out...what sections you were pinning...which section put a smile on your face.
Didn't mean to come across like that - I actually had a lot of fun, despite racing DH like crap. The whole DH course is pretty fun - despite living out here, I'd never even looked at Barney Rubble up close until last Monday when we walked it. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't nearly as bad to ride as I expected - I made it through okay every time (well at least with no more than a couple of feet down, but I managed to not wreck there at all). Shocked the hell out of myself. :D I wrecked pretty good in my race run in the little new section after the two log jumps where there this big compression developed - bike shot out of it and off the side of the trail - I ended up running down the trail off my bike and had to run back up and get it out of the bushes/roots... that didn't help any. But the "spin cycle" section was a blast. And then I must have been favoring my bad knee because I landed the finish line drop and wound up with one foot on the pedals (the outside one, of course... :think: ) in a two wheel drift across the finish line. My race run was a mess, but at least I finished in one piece, I guess...

Dual Slalom was way fun for me - since it was the first time I've ever tried it (never tried mountaincross either). I'm sure for a lot of people it was a bummer that the course was so easy, but the course builder said they were working with solid rock basically and couldn't dig much of anything out. I just wish there were more girls racing it.

And Super D was fun too - I've never raced that before either but knowing there was only one short climb and it was a pretty techy course for a Super D - I figured I'd give it a try. It was essentially like racing a downhill but with a sprint climb before you start... I wish I got to pre-ride the whole thing, but missed practice because we were still racing Dual Slalom, so I just got a chance to ride the middle technical section right before the race. I really need to work on sprinting up hills... ugh. (luckily the rest of the girls in my class weren't any better at the climb than I was... but still.)

Good weekend though! And I was psyched to get a couple of friends who've never raced before out to try it - one was a girl who raced beginner DH on her XC bike - did well regardless, and is now totally hooked, so that's cool! :thumb: We're off finding her a new bike...

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
exit woods, across cables, two step down jumps, then it was ON... don't know if anybody'll agree, but I loved pinning that loose goat trail, coming in too hot, aiming for the pocket near the pine tree, then praying that the rock turn was not blown through yet... Once yer clear of that it's like a bobsled run to the finissshhhh. SUPER fast tree line, smiling with teeth clenched, moto style rutted burms in the switchbacks, and how was that flat corner entry to the steep chute. And just when you think It'll all be over soon, there's a waterbar :eek: before the step down to test you bravery. Funnest course I've ridden, better than the U.S. Open. Just one opinion... :thumb:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
DylanDeanDesign said:
Pits are EMPTY! a good number of riders are now at the Jeep race in Calif., or at the Freeride comp (wherever the hell it is), or chillin up in Canada - waiting for the World Cup in MSA next weekend.

John Kirkaldie crashed hard on the DH course today. Dropped of one of the rocky sections up top (i think the waterfall section) & ended up seperating his shoulder, & bruising the rest of his body. his knees were numb for a while, possibly sprained his wrist. He's still going to attempt to race tomorrow.

Just found out that Kathy Pruitt broke her right hand on Friday. on the same rock section as JK crashed, ...but apparently Kathy went offline & smacked her hand into a tree. Although i'm sure it's not feeling great...Kathy said that she had broked her left hand in the past w/ similar fractures that had more pain that what she was feeling today. She's apparently going to try & race tomorrow -- all depending hon how her hand feels in practice. the Doc set her up w/ a good splint that will allow her to grip the handlebar & brake fine.

Bryn Atkinson is in town, but unable to race. He crashed hard out at the World Cup in Austria last week & is still feeling pain in his lower back. The USA Cycling Doc checked him out a few min ago & said it that it didn't look like he broke any bones, but it's more likely he has some deep bruising.

Mick Hannah flew in LATE thurs eve. missing the day's practice. Apparently he had travel problems...not sure if it was a Visa issue, but apparently he did have to fly from Austria to AUSTRALIA (to get his Visa? straightened out), THEN to the US. Although he missed a FULL DAY's worth of practice, he's looking extremely fast & has all the right lines down.

Minnaar & Kovarik look to be the guys to beat this weekend. both are hauling a$$ & are taking lines & jumping sections that no one is able to match. JK would have definately be a good bet to be on the podium, but since his injury today....we'll see where he ends up. Joel Panozzo is also racing, but his kit is sooooooo dark (& he was wearing a t-shirt for friday practice) that i hardly recoginized him. Other riders to watch (like any other race).... Mick Hannah, Jared Graves, Jared Rando...

In the women's field, Kathy Pruitt would have been the top pick for the women's dh win, but with her injury....her percentage drops a tad. however there honestly isn't much competition for her...so even w/ a broken hand, she still might provail! Her toughest competition would have to be either Bernardita Pizarro (who "IS" on the Cannondale squad) or Mio Suemasa. HOWEVER, Berni hasn't really raced since World's last season & Mio apparently had a pretty big crash this weekend - possibly broken arm or collarbone?

A few old faces back in town. Scotty Ybarra made a stop. I haven't spoken to him yet, but i saw him cruising around the pits catching up w/ people. Dogboy is also in the house. He's in the US handing biz for his company YD OPEN DIST.

That's it for now....i'm bored to death...nothing to do...except drink. Got a nice big bottle of[ Australian] Bundy Rum from Jared Graves.....maybe it'll be enough to forget this weekend?
Thanks for the update! It sounds like it was a wild course...I'm still bummed I couldn't make it out there this weekend...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
altagirl said:
The whole DH course is pretty fun - despite living out here,

Dual Slalom was way fun for me - since it was the first time I've ever tried it (never tried mountaincross either).

And Super D was fun too - I've never raced that before

Good weekend though! And I was psyched to get a couple of friends who've never raced before out to try it - one was a girl who raced beginner DH on her XC bike - did well regardless, and is now totally hooked, so that's cool! We're off finding her a new bike...

Thanks for the write up.....
Sounds like a good time.
Congrats.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
manwithgun said:
exit woods, across cables, two step down jumps, then it was ON... don't know if anybody'll agree, but I loved pinning that loose goat trail, coming in too hot, aiming for the pocket near the pine tree, then praying that the rock turn was not blown through yet... Once yer clear of that it's like a bobsled run to the finissshhhh. SUPER fast tree line, smiling with teeth clenched, moto style rutted burms in the switchbacks, and how was that flat corner entry to the steep chute. And just when you think It'll all be over soon, there's a waterbar :eek: before the step down to test you bravery. Funnest course I've ridden, better than the U.S. Open. Just one opinion... :thumb:
That's why I was kicking myself for not getting to go...I loved, loved, loved that place and that course!!!!! Bet it was even more fun and blown out this time around.

Oh, as for spin cycle...you can't imagine how frickin hard that thing was the first day of practice when they first cut it in. Myself and most of the pros were just like "where's the trail???" It was just a ditch but by the end of day 2 we had cut deep turns into all of the banks and it was just flat out fun.

I dream of riding Barney Rubble...all that rock that just breaks apart with a good whack of your chain guide.... :thumb:

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
bizutch said:
I dream of riding Barney Rubble...all that rock that just breaks apart with a good whack of your chain guide.... :thumb:
Apparently I need a better chainguide.

I got to the bottom in one of my practice runs and realized I couldn't get my cranks around like normal - I didn't wreck but I remembered bouncing my chainguide against the rocks through there - apparently I hit the roller hard enough that it bent off to the side. Nothing the guy at the Giant tent couldn't fix with a hammer.... but still - Barney Rubble=1, my chainguide=0

dirtygirl

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
SLO
Motionboy2 said:
Anyone have the results? I know Lisa Myklak got 3rd, pro women, but I don't know anything beyond that.

1. Michelle Dumaresq (Can)
2. Bernardita Pizarro Lazo (Chi)
3. Lisa Myklak
4. Melissa Miller-Gerkensmey
5. Danni Connolly
6. Joanna Peterson
7. Kote Driscoll
that's as much as i know

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
dirtygirl said:
1. Michelle Dumaresq (Can)
2. Bernardita Pizarro Lazo (Chi)
3. Lisa Myklak
4. Melissa Miller-Gerkensmey
5. Danni Connolly
6. Joanna Peterson
7. Kote Driscoll
that's as much as i know
That is a pretty strong showing for Morewood, 2 pro women in the top ten and I think 1 in the pro mens!

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
dirtygirl said:
Michelle Dumaresq (Can) DQ'ed in my opinion
1. Bernardita Pizarro Lazo (Chi)
2. Lisa Myklak
3. Melissa Miller-Gerkensmey
4. Danni Connolly
5. Joanna Peterson
6. Kote Driscoll
that's as much as i know
This is how it SHOULD read IMO. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Transcend said:
whitsell, another melissa from ny and a few fast as hell XC guys to boot. It wasn't RS, it was John Kemp.
who could forget Katrin!! Did you guys ever see that painted nude DBR poster, OMG!!
Oh yes, I was forgot his name, but yes Jon Kemp!

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Transcend said:
I was gonna say..if it's her she lots a quadgillion pounds..lookin' good, nice to see she is still on the podium (and married?).
Nope just got a divorce... Fair game boys. Except for me... I'm married now, but not bitching one bit.