Quantcast

a LOW dh fs frame

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'd just like to point out that he specifically mentioned that he did NOT mean a low BB height by "low". He meant lots of standover clearance and a low CoG.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Just to further confuse the mix, look at the Astrix Havoc as well. super low CoG, great standover and it's small ring friendly. Burly as hell too, though somewhat portly or big boned.

Hate to spam, but if you're interested in a used one, email mental@pinkbike.com for details and pics.

Other than that, of all the bikes mentioned, the Ventana and DHR also get my vote. I also love the Balfa BB7, but with their future in doubt, I'd be reluctant to pick one up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by mental
Just to further confuse the mix, look at the Astrix Havoc as well. super low CoG, great standover and it's small ring friendly. Burly as hell too, though somewhat portly or big boned.

Hate to spam, but if you're interested in a used one, email mental@pinkbike.com for details and pics.

are you on crack? how is this a low-cg bike?

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Let me see, oh yeah, it has a realatively LOW CENTRE OF GRAVITY!!!!

The bike may look big, but standover is among the best I've ever seen,and everything "big and heavy" is tucked away nice and low.

Dude, I probably ride more suspension designs than most folks ever get the opportunity to and I've never hit the crack pipe. Believe me, I have at least some idea what I'm talking about!

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
Originally posted by thaflyinfatman
Konadude WAS part of PDC... now it's in Kyle's (dhdescender) hands.
Although I've heard some outrageous rumours floating around contrary to the truth (such as they're made in the states by chimps) ...you're correct I am the sole owner of the company now.

One other thing I'd like to clear up, the production DH-One's have a 17.25" Chainstay length, versus the prototypes longer 17.5" length. The geometry posted on my website is the correct/current one.

Oh, and I've added the new Lexus Silver and Escalade white paint schemes with chrome decals into the mix.

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
Coming up on a year ago he decided to leave, persuing an engineering degree was a priority for him, and there was no way he would have been able to carry on with both.

Jordan left...in december, then I changed everything over to PDC Racing Inc. and put it al into my name.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I'll second the Keewee Cromo-8. Even though these beasts do have a low BB (14" but the linkage sticks out underneath) height, the fact remains that their CofG is obscenely low and they have good standover height. I know these are term that get thrown around a little to freely these days but these things really do corner like they are on rails and the rising rate rear suspension really does feel bottomless.

In this trim they tip the scales at just above 42lbs, you could easily drop a few of those with a lighter wheelset though. This is a true DH bike, you really wouldn't want to pedal one of these on the flat, let alone up an actual incline.

You can pick these up from http://www.hadesbikes.com in Canada, that's the only state-side distributor the Keewee boys have at the moment...

edinSvenson2

Chimp
Feb 10, 2004
You can get a Rotec (either the 8 or the 9) in any size you want, and then just bolt on a different seat tower. I have a large frame with a small seatmast, and it can go lower than my old (size small) Scream.

Erin

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by edinSvenson2
You can get a Rotec (either the 8 or the 9) in any size you want, and then just bolt on a different seat tower. I have a large frame with a small seatmast, and it can go lower than my old (size small) Scream.

Erin
cool, how is that working out for you?

oh yeah, and in a resolution to my original post's question, i just gave my cc digits to chris canfield since i'm purchasing his (used, proto) canfield f1 frame :eek: :D . low? check. long? double check.

felixy69

Chimp
Apr 11, 2002
VaNcOuVeR......KiTs
i have a med with small mass and i am 5.7"...feels fine for DH but for free ride .... i have trouble doing can-can cuz my foot can't get over the top tube! ....but it feels good for a dh bike !

PS: the one in the pic is a med with med mass

Attachments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't think you can do better combination of features than a Canfield F1 - its got 9", 17" stays (they grow to 18" on max compression - much better than most high single pivot DH bikes or even a FR bike like the Bullit), low CG, 29" SOH with 200mm White Brothers fork (probably around 28.5" with a 7" fork like a boxxer?), 10.5 lbs. with 6-way Swinger, good company, and $2250...

Knolly's Vtach would be an excellent option too for someone wanting a lot of SOH, but its more FR oriented, not available for awhile, and probably out of your price range

Doh - you already got an F1 - heh

Attachments

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by syadasti
I don't think you can do better combination of features than a Canfield F1 - its got 9", 17" stays (they grow to 18" on max compression - much better than most high single pivot DH bikes or even a FR bike like the Bullit), low CG, 29" SOH with 200mm White Brothers fork (probably around 28.5" with a 7" fork like a boxxer?), 10.5 lbs. with 6-way Swinger, good company, and $2250...

Knolly's Vtach would be an excellent option too for someone wanting a lot of SOH, but its more FR oriented, not available for awhile, and probably out of your price range

Doh - you already got an F1 - heh
heh, good timing, bucko :thumb: :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
doesn't that take a funky hub, like a 165mm shell or sumpin'? who makes 'em?

what does the frame come w/ ? shock or anything else? sounds good! :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by narlus
doesn't that take a funky hub, like a 165mm shell or sumpin'? who makes 'em?

what does the frame come w/ ? shock or anything else? sounds good! :thumb:
it is 165mm spacing, and only the shock comes with it. i don't know whose hub i'm going to run -- i'm going to be running lance canfield's old and beat up wheelset...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by Toshi
it is 165mm spacing, and only the shock comes with it. i don't know whose hub i'm going to run -- i'm going to be running lance canfield's old and beat up wheelset...
I believe its Hadley - one of the best hubs you can get...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Originally posted by Toshi
its a 160mm x 15mm hub and you can get a hadley from canfield for a good price.
just order the hub with the frame.