Quantcast

A MBA cover shot...real? fake?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
:rolleyes: Dude..... I've never thought he did that line, it looks staged. Its fake right?

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
is their a sequence for this shot?
if its real theres no way any photographer worth his salt would snap that without doing a sequence..just in case...

and where the hell is the run out?

and finally the rock face slopes away from the vertical in a negative direction, surely he's jus gonna be a freefalling mofo at that point...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
wysiwyg said:
and where the hell is the run out?
Out of the frame, like most of the rest of the world. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

wysiwyg said:
and finally the rock face slopes away from the vertical in a negative direction, surely he's jus gonna be a freefalling mofo at that point...
Yup, it's called a "drop".

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
hmm...its like a big mtb vert ramp, the roll outs needs to be big..this is like a big vert ramp but with a section of the ramp missing...if i could see the roll out which should be pretty big..i wouldnt be so sceptical.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
You guys got it backwards,

The pictures are real, their bike reviews are fake.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
I remember reading them state that it was real- just that, with the camera angle it looked impossible. Think about it, the point at which he will leave the rock is probably not nore than 10 feet from the bottom of the frame (which can be assumed to be the top of the transition - otherwise the pic would show more) - if the transition was nice like a 1/4 pipe, which they said it was - this line wouldn't be unthinkable. Hairy, yes - unthinkable no.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
I remember seeing that and still have a hard time believing that it is real. Never seen any proof that it is real, although I have heard there is proof out there. Why hasn't it (or maybe I missed that also) showed up in a video or something. If this dude did it back in 99' then I am certain one of today's riders could pull it off.

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
CHOP said:
I remember seeing that and still have a hard time believing that it is real. Never seen any proof that it is real, although I have heard there is proof out there. Why hasn't it (or maybe I missed that also) showed up in a video or something. If this dude did it back in 99' then I am certain one of today's riders could pull it off.

yea! tell 'em CHOP.

everybody better watch out now,he's FIRED UP!

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Additionally - If I remember correctly, the rider was Eddie Fiola, the GT sponsored ramp / pool rider from back in the day - just the guy to pull off such a drop-in.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i seem to recall them coming out that he was cabled in; note the conveniant placement of the logo @ his butt - they didnt evan have to do any photochopping.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
speaking of camera angle, has anyone tilted a camera so things look steeper? BMA does that A LOT. in this case the trees are hard to tell (they always grow up, but these are bushes), and that tard in the background may be standing sideways on purpose. Just a theory, but he may be riding something that is bike path flat...

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
xy9ine said:
i seem to recall them coming out that he was cabled in; note the conveniant placement of the logo @ his butt - they didnt evan have to do any photochopping.
That's what I remember, it was for an april fool's issue joke.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Sandwich said:
speaking of camera angle, has anyone tilted a camera so things look steeper? BMA does that A LOT. in this case the trees are hard to tell (they always grow up, but these are bushes), and that tard in the background may be standing sideways on purpose. Just a theory, but he may be riding something that is bike path flat...
Looking at the direction of the trees growing up, and the way the guy is standing at the bottom, it looks to be a legit camera angle. But what it that guy's right foot doing? :think:

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
April Fools huh? Now I have another reason not to pay for their mag. (apart from the fact that it is "Mens Health" with a bicycle twist). I've been waiting for the "15 ways spandex can make you a better lover" article.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Brian HCM#1 said:
I remember read a few issues after that someone wrote in asking if it was real or fake, MBA confirmed it was real.
I remember the opposite! Ha ha. I thought they said that that picture was staged, but that the rider did drop it somewhere else. I know I remember him hitting and I think crashing off of it, but from a different spot.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I don't remember ever seeing that picture, it does look like some of the stuff that freeriders would huck, I can't tell what bike the guy is riding though. It doesn't look like it's rootbeer colored and unless my monitor's color is way out of whack those aren't green doublewides.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Kornphlake said:
I don't remember ever seeing that picture, it does look like some of the stuff that freeriders would huck, I can't tell what bike the guy is riding though. It doesn't look like it's rootbeer colored and unless my monitor's color is way out of whack those aren't green doublewides.
Mongoose.

flow

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Vancouver
I remember this debate a few years ago. MBA confirmed that it was real but he crashed after landing. I'm a bit of a packrat, so I'll see if I can dig up and scan the article.

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
It doesn't seem that bad to me. 20 feet at most, and there's a bush hiding a landing. You see Bender try 60+ feet, but don't believe this?

Loopie

Chimp
Nov 9, 2002
kamLOOPs, BC
Eigil said:
You see Bender try 60+ feet, but don't believe this?
But you don't see him rollin' in like that either, do you?

I have a review of the Mongoose in the same mag...lol...but for the life of me, it won't upload to photobucket.

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
Loopie said:
But you don't see him rollin' in like that either, do you?

I have a review of the Mongoose in the same mag...lol...but for the life of me, it won't upload to photobucket.
I thought it was a shootout between Rocky Mountain, Intense, Iron Horse, etc.

Anyway, it doesn't seem very far fetched at all to me, it's not incredibly heinous nowadays, so it could have just been cutting-edge then. I don't see what all the speculation is about.

Loopie

Chimp
Nov 9, 2002
kamLOOPs, BC
Yup, 1999 MBA Downhill special :)
Intense M1, Balfa Nouveau Riche, Foes DHS-Mono, IronHorse Super-G, Mongoose NX 9.7 Pro, RM9, Kona Stab Deluxe