Quantcast

A weekend at Kingdom Trails (Warning: Same old boring ride pics)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Mark and Splat, excellent pics!! Well, except for the "Baboon peeing in the woods" pic. :blah:
They are great photos - Splat the one of Laura and MBC on Kitchel is great, I want to share it with Laura so she can look at her form on the bike vs. MBCs (with her butt off and behind the saddle). That will be a good visual for her. :thumb:

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
It was a beautiful day and I was glad to spend it on the trail with friends! Nice shots! Every time I see photos that other people take I think how lucky I am to have these trails in my backyard! :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jollytime said:
It was a beautiful day and I was glad to spend it on the trail with friends! Nice shots! Every time I see photos that other people take I think how lucky I am to have these trails in my backyard! :thumb:

You sure are! I'm trying to figure out a way to get back up there one more time before the snow falls.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
Wow - is this some sort of private trail system? Impressive.
All 100+ miles of trails are on private land and the funds are used to preserve the trails. We are very lucky that those landowners allow us access to the trails.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
All 100+ miles of trails are on private land and the funds are used to preserve the trails. We are very lucky that those landowners allow us access to the trails.
That's really cool. Never happens around here. Nobody lets *anybody* on their land.

Of course, I guess we get spoiled with the 14 billion acres of public land just to the west. :D

splat

Nam I am
Heidi said:
Splat gets worst dressed award :)
excuse me ? what did I do wrong this time ? :help:

I are Baboon said:
You don't want to know where he got some of his jerseys. Really, you don't want to know.
hey, they throw good stuff away in Wellsley ( Very Very affulant town ). and I have a Friend who make a regular Pilgramage to the Dump, they have a "give & take " area , and he found a Bunch of old Jersys With the tags still on , and he gave me the Large ones.
lets see he also Jusyt recenly found me a Rear Disc wheel, Shimano XT laced to a Mavic 223 looked like it had barely been used. and some of the bikes he has pulled out of there are amazing ( my Sons last 2 Bikes and his next one too, and they are in Awesome to New shape . ) rich people throw away Good stuff!

MtnBikerChk said:
oh come on - my butt looks huge stop posting butt pics
Blame MMcG He wanted it , I knew you were going to complain !

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
splat said:
excuse me ? what did I do wrong this time ? :help:
Isn't that you in the blue shorts with the RM jersey? That doesn't match!!!! The fashion police would be alllll over you. :nope: ;) :thumb:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
SkaredShtles said:
That's really cool. Never happens around here. Nobody lets *anybody* on their land.

Of course, I guess we get spoiled with the 14 billion acres of public land just to the west. :D
There's plenty of public land down in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and in IMO, people who live here don't realize how good they have it. Overall, Vermont is a unfriendly state when it comes to mountain biking and trails. Almost 400,000 acres of land in the Green Mtn. National Forest and bikes aren't allowed on ANY of the singletrack. Just 2 "trails" that are basically roads. :rolleyes: With only a few exceptions, the riding in Vermont takes place at privately owned trail systems, that may or may not be x-c ski centers in the winter.

Kingdom trails is an excellent riding destination / experience. I have yet to meet anyone who went there and did not enjoy themselves. Most can't wait to go back again. :cool:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Some random images from the weekend.

We found the Great Pumpkin right at the B&B

You find some of the strangest things out on the trails waiting to re-group for the next section of singletrack, things like this boot in this little tree:

This critter was kinda cool and fuzzy - another sighting while stopped to take some pics while the rest of our group gathered.

Burke Mountain from afar - this shows you how blue the sky was and how beautiful the weather was this past weekend

We weren't the only "riders" out there this weekend:

The grass was so green and the sky so blue in this field we stopped on after climbing our monkey butts off to reach. Amazingly beautiful in Vermont.

When can we go back?

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
berkshire_rider said:
There's plenty of public land down in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and in IMO, people who live here don't realize how good they have it. Overall, Vermont is a unfriendly state when it comes to mountain biking and trails. Almost 400,000 acres of land in the Green Mtn. National Forest and bikes aren't allowed on ANY of the singletrack. Just 2 "trails" that are basically roads. :rolleyes: With only a few exceptions, the riding in Vermont takes place at privately owned trail systems, that may or may not be x-c ski centers in the winter.

Kingdom trails is an excellent riding destination / experience. I have yet to meet anyone who went there and did not enjoy themselves. Most can't wait to go back again. :cool:
Word to your mutha! All the best riding in VT is on private land which makes pay-for-ride so prevalent. However, the trails are generally worth the price of admission!

I lived in Southern NE for about 10 years and you are right. There are tons of great places to ride and people just seem to think that that is how it is everywhere. :nope: :nope:

deroyo

French Monkey Instigator Supreme!
Jul 3, 2001
Not on my BIKE!!!
MMcG said:
The Weekend kicked major ass - amazing weather, great friends, amazing trails, awesome pizza, Nitro Beer, riding with the King of the Kingdom - what more could a Monkey ask for???

Here's where we stayed - the B&B at Moose Crossing - great place to stay and the owners are super nice and serve a mean breakfast!
I can attest to that also,that breakfast that Jane and Norbert serve is enough to last you the WHOLE day 'til dinner.How was the annex? I stayed in the main house.
Funny thing is that the only moose I saw at Moose Crossing is this one.

I was there the weekend before,Man those trails are heaven on two wheels,THE BEST trail network I have ever been at.
Sweet singletracks with numerous switchbacks and lots of high burms,what else can you ask for on a ride!!!
Hats off to the Kingdom Trails Association led by Jollytime,
you guys ROCK!!!!
I will be back,that is a promise :blah:
A few more pics from my collection,things is that it is hard to break the beat on a ride like Kingdom to snap a few pics...

The pic that EVERYBODY has in their collection,I'm sure.Heaven's Bench.

We had some fun airing it out on some jumps on Web's,we also shot some video footage...

Fuel up time at the bottom of Web's

Cosy time at the camp fire

Going to Kingdom Trails was A-OK,top notch,almost as good as sex,ALMOST! :sneaky:

deroyo

French Monkey Instigator Supreme!
Jul 3, 2001
Not on my BIKE!!!
jollytime said:
Word to your mutha! All the best riding in VT is on private land which makes pay-for-ride so prevalent. However, the trails are generally worth the price of admission!

I lived in Southern NE for about 10 years and you are right. There are tons of great places to ride and people just seem to think that that is how it is everywhere. :nope: :nope:
I would even pay $20.00 a day to ride in Kingdom,without hesitation. Plus having that NON Liability clause for landowners,helps A LOT!!!!
Man I wish they had that clause in Ontario and Quebec!!! :mumble:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
berkshire_rider said:

But there are plenty of private trails that are free and plenty of rides on public lands too. The Randolph, Rutland, Bennington, and Jay Peak areas all have awesome trails that are combined public/private systems. Now being New England they generally keep them to themselves. But hey a little local knowledge goes a long way :D

splat

Nam I am
deroyo said:
I can attest to that also,that breakfast that Jane and Norbert serve is enough to last you the WHOLE day 'til dinner.How was the annex? I stayed in the main house.
Funny thing is that the only moose I saw at Moose Crossing is this one.
Yup that was the only Moose we saw too! I was in the main house , were you in the front room ? that was the one we were in. IAB, MMcG and another couple were in the annex. it looked very nice a little more private andthere own common room , which was a cool place to hang.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Nice pics. I love that place. I want to ride again there so badly! It appears as if I won't be getting my money's worth on the season pass I got at Monkeyfest.

I was planning on another weekend trip up there but I might be out for a bit. About 1.5 weeks after taking myself out at the Mt Snow NORBA, I ate it at Diablo and ended up in the hospital. Strained and pulled basically everything in my entire right leg and lower back. I still can't bend my left knee more than about 70 degrees over a week later...the bruising is getting a bit out of control...freakin me out a little...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
JRogers said:
Nice pics. I love that place. I want to ride again there so badly! It appears as if I won't be getting my money's worth on the season pass I got at Monkeyfest.

I was planning on another weekend trip up there but I might be out for a bit. About 1.5 weeks after taking myself out at the Mt Snow NORBA, I ate it at Diablo and ended up in the hospital. Strained and pulled basically everything in my entire right leg and lower back. I still can't bend my left knee more than about 70 degrees over a week later...the bruising is getting a bit out of control...freakin me out a little...
:eek: Yikes!!! Take it easy and heal up fast!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
JRogers said:

ack! pics?

ps: get better soon!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Anyone want to take a weekday off from work to head back up again this fall???

Doug? Tigg? IAB? MBC? Splat? Anyone??
You mean drive up in the morning, ride 4 or 5 hours, then drive home? That might be a bit much for one day.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
You would be included under Anyone. :)
IAB said:
You mean drive up in the morning, ride 4 or 5 hours, then drive home? That might be a bit much for one day.
October 22nd and 23rd if you are interested. If you want to camp, just need to know asap, as the campground fills up during leaf-peeping season, and we have to reserve the sites very soon. If you want to stay in a B & B or motel, you will have to make your own arrangements.

The plan is to go up Friday sometime, with a possible night ride, then a long ride Saturday, and a 3 hour ride Sunday, with a fair amount of beer consumed over the weekend. :evil: