Quantcast

Adam Craig's Beijing Ride

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Sounds like it will be going to production

http://www.velonews.com/article/73826/adam-craig-s-beijing-rig
The Beijing Olympic mountain bike course is punctuated by short, steep, smooth climbs that favor a powerful rider like Giant’s Adam Craig. The descents on the Chinese course, too, are smooth.

It’s the sort of terrain that doesn’t offer advantage to Craig’s Anthem Advanced full suspension bike; rather it calls for a light, stiff frame able to transfer maximum power on smooth trails.

Giant just delivered on Craig’s special request for an Olympic hardtail.

When he returned home from last September’s test event on the Olympic course, Craig asked Giant’s product managers for a “really light, stiff, awesome bike.”

Indeed, a new hardtail was something that Giant’s engineers and product managers had already been talking about, but given product development cycles, the timing would have been off. The current XTC is close to five years old, but the new bike wasn’t slated to be finished until 2010, that is, until Craig made his special request — he wanted a new bike to take to the Olympics. He wanted it to be light and super stiff in the bottom bracket area.

“It was a priority B or C level project, and we bumped it up to priority A to get this done before the Olympics,” said Andrew Juskaitis, Giant’s global product marketing manager.

Giant told Craig that it would do what it could, but made no promises. Then mid-winter a package showed up on his Oregon doorstep. It was straight from Taiwan, airfreight, but the box felt “empty,” said Craig.

“I didn’t even know that the thing was coming,” said Craig. “We opened it up and there was a bike frame in there.”

Craig was surprised and pleased to see that his request had been granted; The frame that showed up weighed in at less than a kilogram. Giant has traditionally overbuilt its carbon products by using cautious construction methods often at the expense of weight savings. Failures in the consumer market are not an option for Giant, said Juskaitis. Preventing frame failure is the brand’s main design goal. Craig’s new frame, however, breaks that conservative tradition while passing all of Giant’s internal durability testing.

“He challenged us,” said Juskaitis. “Taiwan trusted us and they were willing to try.”

Juskaitis said that the one-kilo mark was a challenge, but that didn’t result in dangerously under-built frame.

Besides its lightweight, Giant’s Taiwanese engineers delivered on stiffness. The bottom bracket of the new bike meets Craig’s criteria.
The oversized ‘beef cake’ bottom bracket Craig requested.
The oversized ‘beef cake’ bottom bracket Craig requested.
Photo: Matt Pacocha

“It’s way stiffer in the bottom bracket area,” he says. “The bottom bracket is beefcake.”

Right now Craig is on a second-generation prototype. It’s what he’ll be using in this weekend’s NMBS opener in Fontana, California along with his Anthem Advanced. By August, Craig expects to have either a third-generation prototype or a full production model as he lines up at the Olympics.

The only thing Giant didn’t deliver on was Craig's choice for the bike’s name.

“They can’t call it the 'Totally Awesome,' which is too bad,” said a disappointed Craig.

“Well,” said Juskaitis, “it’s funny because we own the trademark to ‘Totally Awesome!’ with an exclamation mark by the way. Adam is a nut ball; he always wants the kookiest stuff. But, I would say, ‘Totally no way.’”

Instead Giant is going to go with XTC Advanced SL, it’s more mundane, but gets the job done.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
When he returned home from last September’s test event on the Olympic course, Craig asked Giant’s product managers for a “really light, stiff, awesome bike.”
:rofl: Good ol' Adam...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Proving again that full suspension XC bikes are dead...
This is a pretty stupid statement. Riders choose the bike for the course, and when there is a course that is rough enough to justify a fully they go with it. Besides, the endurance racers almost always ride full suspensions; after for a six or eight hour race a full suspension bike can make a large difference in performance (reducing fatigue).

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
This is a pretty stupid statement. Riders choose the bike for the course, and when there is a course that is rough enough to justify a fully they go with it. Besides, the endurance racers almost always ride full suspensions; after for a six or eight hour race a full suspension bike can make a large difference in performance (reducing fatigue).
That was my point exactly. Thank you

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No, I know what Olympic courses are like (see Atlanta, Athens, etc). I just think that most XC races are too easy. I know Adam Craig would agree.
This is why local grassroots races rule. We have a few local venues that make weight weenie racer boys cry for their mommas.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My statement is stupid? What kind of bike did the last world champion ride? Could you name one world champion that did not ride a hardtail (there is one, but I think won for another reason)? Actually, even Adam Craig rode a hardtail at Fort William.

My belief about XC races is that they are too easy to require fs. However, since American manufacturers focus on selling FS bikes, I think they should demand courses be much harder, ala Downieville Classic difficulty, so FS bikes are required.

BTW, I like your 24 hour race logic. Let me try this one: most of the racers in the Great Divide Race, from Montana to NM, are using hardtails. So hardtails must be the most plush bikes because fatigue is critical when you are riding 2,500 miles?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
ok about the great divide race we had 3 riders from my area compete in it. 2 rode hardtails and one was on a soft tail. the thing with all 3 of the riders is that they are all the most stuck up, set in their way people i have ever known. also all three where former roadies that be leave fullies are the least efficient things ever created. also remember that most of these riders are using rack to carry more stuff and fullies are not really rack capable. (yes i know there are rack for them out there)

in my area most every endurance racer rides a fully because of the fatigue AND mistake that happen in a race like that. if you have ever ridden a fully on even a none challenging course you will know that a fully will save you from stupid crashes many times

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Proving again that full suspension XC bikes are dead...
I would classify this as a stupid statement. You declared full suspension xc bikes to be dead simply because the majority of XC races are won on hardtails.

Could you name one world champion that did not ride a hardtail (there is one, but I think won for another reason)?
Thomas Frischknecht

My belief about XC races is that they are too easy to require fs. However, since American manufacturers focus on selling FS bikes, I think they should demand courses be much harder, ala Downieville Classic difficulty, so FS bikes are required.
I agree that the courses are too easy, but you shouldn't equate what wins races with what the manufacturers should be selling. Many people prefer full suspension becuase it provides a more comfortable ride. The 1% who race at a high level shouldn't be determining what bikes are sold to the masses

BTW, I like your 24 hour race logic. Let me try this one: most of the racers in the Great Divide Race, from Montana to NM, are using hardtails. So hardtails must be the most plush bikes because fatigue is critical when you are riding 2,500 miles?
See Chris Eatough

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I like hardtails.
That black carbon fiber Giant looks pretty awesome.
Do they make any wierd sounds? How does a full carbon HT ride compared to an aluminum one?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I like hardtails.
That black carbon fiber Giant looks pretty awesome.
Do they make any wierd sounds? How does a full carbon HT ride compared to an aluminum one?
The rides of carbon vary, depending on the manufacturer. Some can be stiffer than alu or more compliant. They generally sit between steel and aluminum in their ride harshness. No odd noises, other than when a rock gets kicked up and nails the downtube....makes you cringe.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would classify this as a stupid statement. You declared full suspension xc bikes to be dead simply because the majority of XC races are won on hardtails.
XC is racing. If you don't race, why ride a 22lb, 3 inch travel FS bike?

It sounds like you have an opinion not based on fact but rather one small point that you are standing fast on, like balancing on the head of a pin.

My opinion is based on my shop's sales numbers, our manufacturers inventory, my experience as a mountain bike coach in a large Bay Area race league, and my own experience riding and racing.

I didn't say full suspension bikes are dying out. The most popular bike in our shop is 26lb and has 5 inches of travel, referred to by its manufacturer as a "trail bike". But don't stock any XC bikes as classified by their manufacturers, although I have sold several hardtails to racers.

Adam Craig is racing a hardtail by choice but I know he wants the courses so hard that he would have to ride a Reign instead of a Anthem.

P.S., the rider I was thinking about was Meirhagne.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
XC is racing. If you don't race, why ride a 22lb, 3 inch travel FS bike?
Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on this site.

Can I ride a 38lb DH bike if I'm not racing? Can I have an air shock on my bike if I'm not racing 4X? Can I have a long travel SC fork if I'm not in a slopestyle competition? Can I run Ultegra parts on my road bike if I'm not in the Tour de France?

Give me a break dude.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on this site.

Can I ride a 38lb DH bike if I'm not racing? Can I have an air shock on my bike if I'm not racing 4X? Can I have a long travel SC fork if I'm not in a slopestyle competition? Can I run Ultegra parts on my road bike if I'm not in the Tour de France?

Give me a break dude.
You walk into a shop, and say I want an XC bike and money is no object, guess what you walk out with: a 22lb 3 inch travel bike.

Hey, maybe everyone has forgotten what this thread is about:

Adam Craig, an elite rider, wanted a 1kg XC frame and he got it. I bet he will use it on most of his XC races leading up to Beijing.

Giant customers will see this and it might influence away from the Anthem, with 3.5 inches of travel. They will either want a hardtail if they are racing or a bigger travel bike if they are not.

So since everyone seems to think my definition of XC is dumb, just to clarify, XC is racing. That is the industry term for it.

Honestly, I have never seen such negativity and closemindedness. I am expressing my point, and all I see is cheap shots.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
HAHAHAHAHA.........I got neg repped. Awesome.

We tried to have an intellectual conversation, but your arrogance and failure to see things the way 95% of mountain bikers (aka your customers) see things made that impossible. Remind me never to go to your shop.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

We tried to have an intellectual conversation, but your arrogance and failure to see things the way 95% of mountain bikers (aka your customers) see things made that impossible. Remind me never to go to your shop.
Every person looking to spend $1000 or more and asking for a XC racing bike, approximately 5% of the customers, have ordered a hardtail. Every other person this year, the 95% you mentioned, has bought a 5 inch or more travel bike.

So far this year I have sold zero XC (4 inches or less) full suspension bikes.

I'm sorry I haven't seen this matter in your way. Funny you mention arrogant. I see your point that you think XC is riding on any kind of bike, but you seemed to miss my point: the industry term for racing cross-country bikes is XC.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Every person looking to spend $1000 or more and asking for a XC racing bike, approximately 5% of the customers, have ordered a hardtail. Every other person this year, the 95% you mentioned, has bought a 5 inch or more travel bike.

So far this year I have sold zero XC (4 inches or less) full suspension bikes.

I'm sorry I haven't seen this matter in your way. Funny you mention arrogant. I see your point that you think XC is riding on any kind of bike, but you seemed to miss my point: the industry term for racing cross-country bikes is XC.
Looks like you're the punching bag in this thread!! :monkeydance: Among elite winning racers I would think that a hardtail is the way to go most of the time. Other than the top percentile it probably starts coming down to personal preference.

But supporting what you said; why ride a full sus rig when you don't need the added weight on a trail that does not necessitate it?

I think terms are being thrown around here. I ride a 6" rig but honestly consider myself a mostly XC rider in the fact that I neither DH or freeride. If you were to say that XC means racing than I guess I'm a 'trail rider'?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm not close minded, I race a 20lb carbon hard tail with a 3" travel fork and I don't have a full suspension because I don't care to spend $4k building one and the courses around here don't really warrant it. That doesn’t mean that I think full suspensions are dead in XC racing, which is what you said. I have a friend who has been a successful pro XC races for several years now and he wins races on everything from his full rigid single speed to his full suspension bike. His Scott Spark weighs about 21 lbs and has lockout front and rear, it’s a bike perfectly capable at winning on courses with lots of pavement or a ton of rocks

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
wow, this is still going on huh?
:)

I thought about that after I hit the submit button. Not like either of us will change our mind. Adam's bike sure is cool though. I've always like the look of carbon, and was really stoked when I landed a carbon hardtail last year

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I asked him about that in Monterey (which he won). Actually, I asked him why he didn't use a hardtail. Said he thought he was faster on the BLT.

Like I said, mad props to him.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I asked him about that in Monterey (which he won). Actually, I asked him why he didn't use a hardtail. Said he thought he was faster on the BLT.

Like I said, mad props to him.
Whats funny is that its the LT, not even the XC Blur. My pro friend has a Ransom built up at 24lbs and he occasionally races in XC races, more for fun than anything. I'll see if I can snag some pics from him of it

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

I am not sure what your problem is. But upping the hostility doesn't really prove anything.

You really have to take a step back next time. I am arguing about XC racing bikes, i.e. fs vs ht, which is what Adam Craig rides; and I think you think I am insulting all people who ride a bike for fun.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The fact that you equate XC to purely racing, and subsequently only hardtails, means that 95% of people with "XC" bikes are using their bikes for the wrong application, aka not racing. I don't know why the "industry" associates XC purely with racing, but to us mere mortals, XC is riding a lightweight, short travel, easily climbable mountain bike. To have someone say a bike isn't an XC bike simply because it isn't being raced, or has 3" of rear travel, is just pretty silly to me, and hard to understand the logic behind it.

I'll make an analogy: If someone has a 37lb, slack geo, ti coil rear shock, air fork DH bike and doesn't race........is it still a DH bike?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I ride with people who use their carbon fiber hardtails on jumps and 55 lb dh bikes on 3000' climbs.

I was discussing industry and race standards. You really think I care what you or anyone else personally chooses to ride?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.velonews.com/article/76766/olympic-mtb-course-tweaked-by-four-cross-expert

More bumps, rocks and obstacles have been added to Beijing’s Olympic mountain-bike course, which failed to impress riders in its debut last year, according to a UCI expert.

Peter Van den Abeele, the UCI’s mountain-bike sports coordinator, and Phil Saxena, a renowned four-cross course designer, traveled to Beijing during May 8-15 to oversee construction on the 6.2km circuit. The course, which sits in a suburban park in western Beijing, now boasts five new sections of tricky, technical riding, plus additional obstacles on five previously built sectors.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'm in favor of having a mix of cross barriers, jumps, telephone poll sections (like Big Bear DH in '00), and some pavement. Lets throw everything in and see who can survive
No 'real' course is complete without snake pits and booby traps.