Quantcast

Adjustable seat post people...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So I think the time has come for me to give up my beloved Thompson post for an adjustable post. Been reading some reviews and thinking I am going to go with the xfusion hilo. Saw one a few weekends ago at highland and thought it looked pretty solid. Reviews look good as well.

Here is the catch, I don’t really want the bar lever. I am absolutely crazy about not cluttering up my bike with cables and bar crap. Right now I’m running a 1x9 on a transition covert. The hilo comes with the lever which I may use for some larger trips this year but for my everyday riding the under seat lever is perfect.

So what does RM think about the hilo? Does everyone love their adj posts?

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I have been thinking about the same thing. I vaguely remember reading about slipping clamps on the HiLo's. BUT, I think they can be run w/ or w/o the bar mounted lever (it comes with parts for both I think). What drew you to the HiLo?

Personally have been looking at the Reverb, Gravity Dropper and Kind Shock. Each seems to have their pros and cons.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've seen a few adj posts a few friends of had and I'm far from impressed. The slop in the saddle would drive me absolutely crazy, and for what they cost there's no reason that slop should be there. Don't know if it's how they're constructed or what, but I think there's plenty of room for improvement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've seen a few adj posts a few friends of had and I'm far from impressed. The slop in the saddle would drive me absolutely crazy, and for what they cost there's no reason that slop should be there. Don't know if it's how they're constructed or what, but I think there's plenty of room for improvement.
so get to work, you make the big bucks now

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
What drew you to the HiLo?
-I really want a post that can be run w or without the bar lever
-Reviews seem good
-Checked one out a few weeks back
-looks decent and low key

And about the slop, I agree they arent perfect but seriously they are almost a necessity for rides where there is technical dh...I am a thompson fanboy and bummed to give up my rock solid post but the advantages here are huge.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have the HiLo on my RFX and use the under-seat lever.
I initially had it setup with the remote, but the action had a lot of drag and the clutter was not welcomed as I have a front shifter. It was just too much crap.
Using the lever is very easy and I haven't had any occasion where I couldn't safely take a hand off to make an adjustment. It might have required a bit more forethought, but totally doable, every time.

edit:
There is virtually NO play in the post, none that is noticeable anyway. The thing that I really stands to be improved is the clamp mechanism. A few times I've landed on my saddle and had it shift or tilt, which sucked in the middle of a ride.

I opted to try this post as my frame takes a 27.2 post and my only options were this and the gravity dropper.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
get the bar lever. I can't tell you how many times I have been in terrain where there was no way I was taking one hand off the bar to mess with the seat. That bar lever made all the difference in not endoing by instantly letting me drop the seat.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
get the bar lever. I can't tell you how many times I have been in terrain where there was no way I was taking one hand off the bar to mess with the seat. That bar lever made all the difference in not endoing by instantly letting me drop the seat.
You can't take a hand off on fireroads?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If you don't want the convenience of having the lever on the bar due to clutter, then I think a adjustable post isn't for you.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Where do you live? I think that really plays into the decision...If your sections are very mixed with climbs and tech that makes sense. But honestly I know what is coming on most of my daily rides and can adjust prior without issue.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
There are also some monster threads over on MTBR about the different posts. I also heard that FSA was coming out with a revised version of the All-Mountain Post (which they bought out earlier this year or something). Sounded cool.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
just my experience: I rode on a All Mountain Post for 3 or 4 years. It had a ton of slop - about a full quarter-inch of side-to-side play at the front of the saddle. But you would never know when you're on the bike - totally unnoticeable. But it drove me and everyone else crazy the rest of the time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think specialized were blowing out their older adjustable post since they released one that was a bit lighter. I looked into these a while back, RS and Maverick/CB seem to have reliability issues, all the other ones are pretty good.

I've considered grabbing the special ed one, lots of adjustment and pretty good feedback.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I feel you on the saddle lever. I don't want the bar mount either. I mainly want one just so I can drop the seat and then raise it back to where it was initially set so I don't have to fiddle with it. I'm not all that concerned with moving it on the fly. Not as many choices on 27.2 though and the price has kept me from trying one.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't use my Gravity Dropper nearly as much if it didn't have the bar lever. IMO the bar lever is a necessity to get the full benefit from an adjustable post. You are already 1x9 so the lever neatly replaces a front shifter and is not in the way of anything. And with the types of trails around here (lots of frequent ups and downs) you are not going to want to keep reaching under the seat to fiddle with it; at least there is no way I would do that.

I don't know which of the new posts I would recommend, but I still like my Gravity Dropper although there is room for improvement. It does have a little bit of play, maybe 1/8" at the most at the tip of the saddle, but this is unnoticeable when riding.

If you want to try mine sometime just let me know.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
KS950i for the victory. Reliable, stiff, and has a smooth stroke. Every guy should have one...

Only downside is they're relatively expensive and certainly heavy compared to a traditional alum post. But as others have said on this thread, it will change the way you ride.

EDIT - in terms of clutter, the KS system is quite nice as the actuating lever can replace a grip clamp, making it pretty clean IMO. Then again, I don't don't run a front derailleur, so there is plenty of room.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Love my adjustable posts - currently running a Reverb - but find them nearly useless without the remote lever. I hate clutter too, but the point at which I want to drop my seat is often precisely the moment I don't want to take my hand off the bars.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Reverb is the only non cable one with a 2 piece clamp and zero offset. That's the reason I bought one of those. The first two lasted about a month each but since I got a '12, it has been great.

The clamps on the Joplins slip all the time.(at least mine did). And to me Zero head offset is a must. My knees are not a fan of laid back posts or offset clamps.

And Hydro just feels so nice.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'll be waiting for Fox to bring theirs to market. The selectable travel is what really sells me. I hate trying to find the right height after dropping mine. You only need 3 positions and about 5" of travel. I currently have 7 (down from 9), and stops every half inch. It's really inconvenient unless I just need to drop it all the way.
Lighter weight and reduced rattle would be welcome, too.

kramster

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
Squamish
Having a dropper post without a bar mount is like having a front deraileur without one. Why would you want to limit the usefulness of the thing you spent a large amount of money on that weighs a pound more? For aesthetics? Why not take off the front brake lever and really clean up that bar :)

Trust me, once you have one you will want to be adjusting it all the time. I move my seat probably 40 times or more every ride. Imagine if you had to scratch your balls 40 times every ride. Probably very annoying, and a little concerning.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I won't own a trail/xc bike without one ever again. I'm on the specialized. Love it. I agree with others that you will want the bar mount but hey it's your bike. Haven't really tried any others so can't comment on those.

The play on mine is negligible, a tiny bit of side to side twist if you hold the seat with your hand but you literally never feel it.

The biggest advancement for me would be a post you don't need to bump with your ass to lower. I have a bad habit of waiting until i'm already in some sketch to want to lower it, and I've almost killed myself seat bouncing in tech sections to lower.