Quantcast

all mountain bike?

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
Depending on how big you are. I'm 6'4" and I love the Bottle Rocket for a play bike, but I wouldn't do long trails on it. The Preston on the other hand is a healthy bike for a "do all".

As you may notice, there are more bikes than you can ever ride. Find what your local shop carries and pick one from them.
What size Bottle Rocket do you ride? I'm 6' 2" and was thinking about a medium frame.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Check out Commencal's bikes they track better (and therefore climb better) than the VPP according to a guy I know who has both (Nomad and Supreme 6). Their Meta series 4/5/6 are optimized for climbing with HA's for trail riding, the Supreme 6/Mini DH (same bike) is optimized for decsending but climbs like a goat too and has won the Alp d'Huez Mega Avalanche.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I own a VP free and a Nomad. Get the Nomad for all mountain riding. The Vpfree is total over kill for all mountain riding. Yes i may only be around a pound heavier then the Nomad but it is not made for pedaling in my opinion. I have a DHX 5.0 air and a Fox 36 Talas RLC2 on the Nomad. It rides great. I have never weighted it but i think around the mid to light 30s. The VPfree on the other hand has a Fox 36 Van RLC and DHX 5.0 coil. I have a dual chain ring up front on both frames and i would rather pedal the Nomad anyday of the week. The descent performance is so close in both the bikes i dont think the VPfree is worth the extra weight. Unless your taking it off some serious terrain go with the Nomad. You wont regret it. Its a beautiful bike and handles great.