Quantcast

An Open Letter

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
oh god. Why do people in this state not know how to merge? The reason for all that traffic is because you refuse to get over when you should, and instead wait or rush for the last minute...then everybody slows down to accomodate your awful ass. I hope everybody who does this regularly bleeds out the ass for a week, simultaneously.
you have obviously not spent time in our nation's glorious midwest; oblivion is the name of the game on the highways. when merging, if you don't look at the car next to you already on the highway with the right of way, it doesn't exist.

an additional note: minnesota is the only state i've been to that requires stop lights at every on-ramp merge onto interstates...

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Also, let it be known, this isn't a rant about not giving me the ability to speed and drive recklessly. I don't drive like that. In fact, I have a perfect driving record since I got my license 7 years ago.
Shenanigans!!! You were driving around with a suspended license for like a year! :headbang:

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
an additional note: minnesota is the only state i've been to that requires stop lights at every on-ramp merge onto interstates...
Does it help in Minnesota? I've often thought that would fix a lot of the traffic problems in Maryland... The big merge areas are always where the backups are.
I've seen the stop lights on some freeway on-ramps in the LA area, but figured the traffic was too far gone for them to make a difference there.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
People in Vancouver are either petrified of driving or forget that they're using a public road network.

I'm convinced that driver's ed is different out here than in Quebec. I was taught that the passing lane was for passing only. People here will merge onto the highway, and move straight to the passing lane for no apparent reason. Once they're there, they don't move. Until of course they're 100 yards from their exit, then they slam on the brakes and cross 2 lanes to make it.

Now I live in the slow lane and pass on the right with impunity.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
People in Vancouver are either petrified of driving or forget that they're using a public road network.

I'm convinced that driver's ed is different out here than in Quebec. I was taught that the passing lane was for passing only. People here will merge onto the highway, and move straight to the passing lane for no apparent reason. Once they're there, they don't move. Until of course they're 100 yards from their exit, then they slam on the brakes and cross 2 lanes to make it.

Now I live in the slow lane and pass on the right with impunity.
One of my happiest driving times was in my POS blazer that I sadly owned for a while. It was all DHRXFCrabbed out with big tires, and a light bar, a ghey body lift, and the worst suspension ever. The thing could do a little over 70, but mileage exponentially dropped so I kept it about 65-67mph. At that speed, I could just sit in the far right lane, of three, and never worry about a thing. It had an awful tire over the rear window, so you couldn't see out of it and nobody could bother you when tailgating. It had auto-dimming mirrors so highbeams never bothered. It was an awful truck, but extremely low stress on the highway.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
one problem everywhere is most people, when behind the wheel, make driving their secondary focus. they are texting, talking on the phone, reading the news paper, talking to the person in the passenger seat, looking at the passenger the whole time not the road. putting on makeup etc.

the other problem is our dmv and road test are out dated, these were set in place decades ago when there were less road signs, less traffic,no cell phones, cd players, ipods, no electronic signs scrolling information. they give a 16 yr old a cheesey test and a 5 min ride around the block next thing you know they are in the fast lane (passing lane) doing 45 in a 65 checking their facebook page on their i phone.

all their bad habits carry on to adulthood and us who want to efficently get to and from our destinations go crazy behind them, being forced to watch their stupidity.

i feel better now

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
A little bit of traffic on the way to work this morning as some idiot decided it would be cool to flip his car onto its side in the middle of the highway.
Well, this morning was a Tacoma that went through a 3' snowbank and was up to the rear window through the guardrail, teetering over the hillside on the side of Rt. 2. Luckily it had just happened as I was passing so there was no traffic.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
alright, good. even though i'm in the south i still talk and drive like an angry masshole.....i think that is what makes me so endearing to the southern folk here.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
alright, good. even though i'm in the south i still talk and drive like an angry masshole.....i think that is what makes me so endearing to the southern folk here.
Ya until the Lesbos cut you off and you need your southern yankee buddy in his girlie jetta to save the day. :p