Quantcast

...and I spent $24,600 for this?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Nice work!

$70K... Wow... I have some friends who lived in Rochester and have been dieing to go back... and say they could buy a mansion for the price of thier house in NJ. I didn't realize housing up there was that cheap. What kind of neighborhood is it in?

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Changleen said:
What a transformation! Quite impressive. Do the prospective buyers get to see the 'before' pics?
Nope... I think it would scare the crap out of them... :rolleyes:

maxyedor said:
Nice work, but did you really buy the house with all the clothes and sh1t all over the place like that?
Yup... that's the nature of these foreclosures... they lose the house, plain and simple. There are always signs of abandonment. One house I looked at had a 'dear Jane' letter on the table. Turns out that the guy went to jail... next to that was a report card for his little girl... all D's and F's... each foreclosed house seems to leave some sort of fingerprint.

MtnBikerChk said:
WOW!
I wish I could do that for a living!
After this year, I've thought about it... but there's the old saying... 'don't turn your hobby into a job'. I figure at a decent pace, I could make about 80k per year doing this. Once I get up some more capital, I will start to look into more lucrative projects (bigger spreads on more expensive foreclosures, or possibly even new builds - N8 partnership? :clue: ).

Ian F said:
Nice work!
What kind of neighborhood is it in?
The reason I wont get much for the house is because of the location. It is adjacent to one of the worst parts of town... so you've got your drug dealers rollin' by in their whips, mad hooka's at the end of the street and thugs gainin' street cred at every turn... you know how we do it...:rofl:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Crashby said:
After this year, I've thought about it... but there's the old saying... 'don't turn your hobby into a job'. I figure at a decent pace, I could make about 80k per year doing this.
It's nice when your hobby makes that kind of income ain't it? :D

Crashby said:
Once I get up some more capital, I will start to look into more lucrative projects (bigger spreads on more expensive foreclosures, or possibly even new builds - N8 partnership? :clue: ).
We are already seeing a number of foreclosures on new homes due to people buying into a market they couldn't really afford using ARMs...

:dead:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
sure, you can 'design', but yr apparent sense of aesthetics suggests that you can't do it all that well.
Dude, you cant hold N8 responsible for the crap people want to buy. My guess is he's doing better than 95% of the rest of us with his apparent lack of style :rofl:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
Dude, you cant hold N8 responsible for the crap people want to buy. My guess is he's doing better than 95% of the rest of us with his apparent lack of style :rofl:

Why you little... !~!!!!!

..hey... wait a minute...

...do you mean that in a good way???

:confused:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
burly, you are absolutely right. i keep forgetting that i need to view his 'creations' through the eyes of the average louisianan...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
Why you little... !~!!!!!

..hey... wait a minute...

...do you mean that in a good way???

:confused:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It was a backhanded compliment. :)
No, I think your stuff looks fine, but then again, I just dont care about countertops and wallpaper. My dream house is a log cabin in the middle of the wilderness with stuffed fish on the walls and creaky floors.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Crashby is earning his money!

I avoid renovations like the plauge! I admire anyone who is willing to take on an old home and fix it up like that because there is nothing about it that's easy nor simple nor inexpensive.

Gawd knows I have enough headaches with doing it all new.. from the ground up!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
great work!

I think you should keep working in the same area! if people start seeing a bunch of houses all rehabbed it may be the start of a trend of a "up and coming neighborhood" and you may set a trend, and probably could start getting more money out of your flips!

good stuff man!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
N8 said:
Crashby is earning his money!

I avoid renovations like the plauge! I admire anyone who is willing to take on an old home and fix it up like that because there is nothing about it that's easy nor simple nor inexpensive.

Gawd knows I have enough headaches with doing it all new.. from the ground up!

I completely agree!

I can tell you that every time you look at something as 20 minute job when you are working on old houses, chances are it is 2-15 hour days worth of work:rolleyes:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
WOW. I thought I was the king of low cost housing. I bought a 5 bedroom bouse for $85,000.00 and have done nothing* to it but I lived in it for 8 years

I think you win. :monkey:

* no, I have never mowed the lawn. :monkey:

May 25, 2006
Jesus that is amazing. From one DIYer to another, fantastic job! Inspires to get to work doing more to my 1920's craftsman.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Some pretty major updates and a question for y'all...

Some bad activity around the street that this house is on. Some shootings a couple streets away, and some sacrificed chickens, a goat, and a beheaded dog literally a few hundred feet from the backyard (no, I'm not kidding - some "Santeria" afoot apparently). Needless to say that this is not doing wonders for the property values in the area.

Also, the house was broken into a couple nights ago. They broke down the back door. :mumble: The good news is that they didn't steal anything or vandalize the place (don't quite understand that). I also ran a comparable market evaluation on the street and discovered that the highest price ever paid for a house on that street was $59,900.

Now the semi-good news. I got an offer on the house a few minutes ago. Its much much less than I ever planned on, but its a FAST sale and I can get the hell outta Dodge and move on to another project.

The figure is 56k. Almost appalling, but it still gives me a profit of around $15,000 for my 8 weeks work and a percentage profit on investment (ROI) of 34%.

Should I take it? :clue:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Crashby said:
Some pretty major updates and a question for y'all...

Some bad activity around the street that this house is on. Some shootings a couple streets away, and some sacrificed chickens, a goat, and a beheaded dog literally a few hundred feet from the backyard (no, I'm not kidding - some "Santeria" afoot apparently). Needless to say that this is not doing wonders for the property values in the area.

Also, the house was broken into a couple nights ago. They broke down the back door. :mumble: The good news is that they didn't steal anything or vandalize the place (don't quite understand that). I also ran a comparable market evaluation on the street and discovered that the highest price ever paid for a house on that street was $59,900.

Now the semi-good news. I got an offer on the house a few minutes ago. Its much much less than I ever planned on, but its a FAST sale and I can get the hell outta Dodge and move on to another project.

The figure is 56k. Almost appalling, but it still gives me a profit of around $15,000 for my 8 weeks work and a percentage profit on investment (ROI) of 34%.

Should I take it? :clue:

Yes. An offer in hand is much better than waiting months and months on a potentially higher offer. You might try to not pay any closing costs other than those of your own... termite/atty's fee's etc.. typically less than $1000.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The city of Rochester is in a really bad downswing right now as far as crime goes. They're getting ready to throw some more cops at the problem but I don't expect property values to rebound anytime soon. Offer in hand almost sounds too good to be true actually.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Any thoughts on counter-offer strategy? their offer was actually 57,500, but wanted closing cost and warrantee money. Dont want to scare them off, but I could try for an extra grand via counter offer... hmmmmmm...