Quantcast

And the hottest truck in 2006 will be?

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Toshi said:
i fully agree, and if i were towing consistently i'd pick up something with a cummins, duramax or powerstroke. however, i think our friend from alberta is deceiving himself with his region's hardcore image if he really thinks everyone up there tows/hauls enough stuff to _need_ 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.
Hardly, I don't even live in Alberta...the fact of the matter is the majority of the Toy's are over priced and just don't have the flat out power of the other three. We can compare gas to gas, let's try a Chev 5.3 to a Ford 5.4 to a Dodge 5.7 to a Toy 4.7...there justn't isn't enough snot to do the job a times. I do agree, the Toyota is a nice truck, it's smaller than the rest and for some doesn't have the all out power that some may need.
If I came off as applying this to everyone I apologize, but at times this fourm seems like a Toyota owners group.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
stoney98 said:
*Sorry I meant the v8 tundra for towing*
The v8 tundra's get about 18 mpg. Almost double the US makers. Towing, I'm sure it will go down, but as long as you don't make gate starting your truck/trailer your mode (and most guys do), you'll keep your average high.
Also, I'm pretty sure you guys aren't rocking the v10/12 f350 supercab, long bed, 8ft tall brick on wheels that I'd say a majority of people driving truck around the country do.
My friend tows a 20' camping trailer with his V8 tundra. The next size smaller would be a pop up tent trailer so his is pretty small. Brand new so it's pretty light too. It works pretty hard towing it. Stopping is not so bad due to the nice trailer brake set up. It get very bad milage he says with the trailer. Also says any wind blows the entire rig around. And when your wife and kids are with you that's a bad deal right there.

You just can't beat a big heavy truck for towing. We just went out to the river towing a 27' boat loaded with everything including 100 gal. of fuel. We were in a new chevy 3/4 ton 4 door 4X4 with the duramax turbo deal. The thing is lifted with some pretty big meats on it. That thing was getting over 15 mpg and we were running 70 - 80 or so the entire way.

Now my 3/4 ton suburan has the 8.1L gas engine. It pulls very well but with it gets pretty bad milage. It does not seem to matter if I'm pulling my boat or not. Milage is pretty much the same. I wish I went with a diesel now.

Small / mid size trucks are nice to drive and park. And great if you don't need to haul / tow heavy stuff.
But man, once you have a big truck with some power it's hard to go back. I know I never will. I did down size from a 1 ton to a 3/4 when I sold my encolsed trailer I hauled the race boat in. We also have a 1/2 full size Dodge. It's ok for what it is. Lots of room and sill the soft 1/2 ton ride.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
If we were all worried about using cars as they were intended we would all own Geo Metros, Subaru Justy's, etc.

Fast sedans....heck 4seaters! How many times do you drive your vehicles with 4+ people in them when you driev around? A waste if you don't.

I grew up riding motorcycles and only car our family used for hauling was the late 70s-early 80's Chev Impala. V8 Because a family of 4 and their bikes gear gas etc won't be handled by a 80 Datsun 210 (other car my family owned at the time)

My dakota is a mid sized p'up truck. It has a low tow rating (doubles with optional rear ends and tranny choices) Even if I could pull a trailer like Freaks (big but not nearly HUGE) the fact that the trucks weight isn't much different than the load I am towing is a recipe for dissaster.

The Hybrid Luxus SUV is a load of crap $65k for a compact SUV? *thumbs down* Buddy works at Lexus of Seattle and we took it for a spin. It is OK but the Torque numbers come form the electric engine (not on all the time) and runs on an small gas engine. I don't think you should tow much wuth a set up like that.

I did here some company was making(or going to) a truck that runs on like 4 or 8 cylinders when stopped to save gas...:think: That sounds like a neat idea.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
stoney98 said:
:confused:

My point is that the big-bad truck, hyper-masculine american "culture" comes predominantly from the south and midwest.

I donno Stone. I grew up in the midwest and still get back there all the time. There I see stock pick ups and most are 1/2 ton. In So Cal its all about the F350 or 3500 chevys lifted on 24's. And you just know those guys don't ever get them in the dirt.

spookydave said:
I donno Stone. I grew up in the midwest and still get back there all the time. There I see stock pick ups and most are 1/2 ton. In So Cal its all about the F350 or 3500 chevys lifted on 24's. And you just know those guys don't ever get them in the dirt.

I gotta agree with Dave on this one.
I've lived in serious red-neck country before in Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana(we have differnt type of redneck) and i've never seen so many lifted trucks as i did in socal.
WTF?
Not all these guys are going to the desert.

FYI: I drive a Ford F-250 diesel,longbed Stoney and it rocks(not jacked up or anything though).

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
can we get back to the topic as intended? arguing about PU trucks is the stupidest thing that can be fought upon; nearly impossible to tell a chevy guy that a toyota or nissan is in the same ball park.

p1mp

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
sure we can. That Toyato looks great and I love the old FJ style. But..... that's not even a truck man. I feel you gotta be able to hual a fridg at least for it to be a truck.
But don't get me wrong. I love the look and style. Everyone's jumping on the retro look that Dodge started with the PT and I have to say I like it.