Quantcast

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Seemed like being willing and able to quad that big set was key...neat to see a ballsy move like that rewarded.
anyone else catch dan's line in the final? did the quad while transferring to the left so he could rail the next turn. Awesome riding.

it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that the Atherton family will come out of a world cup weekend with 3 wins one of these days.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
anyone else catch dan's line in the final? did the quad while transferring to the left so he could rail the next turn. Awesome riding.

it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that the Atherton family will come out of a world cup weekend with 3 wins one of these days.
that would be the most amazing and unrepeatable feat ever me thinks!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

That would be the best ever.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack

I did see that...a bad ass line for sure. I can't fathom hitting something that large, in the wet with that level of precision.

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Couldn`t get it working for over an hour (no pic, errors, no website ...). But then suddenly it started to work for the finals. The picture was super clear with no streaming problems...

Hope it will work like that tomorrow...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So in general, did the feed get ok for the finals? The actual quality of the stream was ok, just the buffering and no website loading issue?
Here is my experience, and I detail it not to whine, but to make it better....

Logged into freecaster.com site to watch live race, loaded fine, race came on good, first bit was color test bars and live audio, they were testing etc, but could hear those guys.
I saw about 3 heats maybe 4 of mens racing, then video/audio froze.

So I closed everything on laptop (had laptop plugged into big HDTV hdmi watching, was rad) rebooted, freecaster site would not even load.

Tried desktop, mtblive, transcened, pinned, bikemag video would not start at all.

Went to neighbors house, he has dsl, i have FIOS, diff ISP's, he is on XP machine...nothing worked there either.

Gave up.

came back 20 mins later to try again, tried freezecaster, etc, none worked, last resort was PINNED website embedded deal, it began to play, saw consi round and final for men and women.

Nigel did a great job in booth, Warner needs some more media training and the german dude needs to be evicted from race site, he is horrible.

Once played, video quality and camera locations were mint for me.

Thanks

Oh, and Milan is going for the win

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The quality was better than the last time the problem is that it was 10times as hard to get anything playing.

May 31, 2008
Belgium
Stickman, thanks for the recap. It is very helpful to help us improve.

Producing a live webcast is complex for the following reasons:
- everyone wants to start watching at the same time that creates a bottleneck that slows down the servers
- as the servers are slow people refresh their pages which increases the load on the servers, thus creating a huge traffic jam
- as the servers fulfil requests, the viewers get their streams

To serve many viewers we have to work with an ISP that has a CDN (content delivery network) which in theory allows to serve video to a large number of people concurrently. I chose one partner for the 4X live as I wanted to stream in a h.264 to have a better quality yet the technology is not ripe. Thus I made a bad choice, wrong tyres a rider would say.

Thus before the semis we switched to another CDN and resumed the live in normal flash, that's when all started to run smoothly. Thus tomorrow for the downhill we will be in normal flash on hopefully a robust server set-up. I always keep my fingers crossed though.

Ultimately, beyond video server power, I'll also need more servers for the freecaster.tv site itself, but that requires dosh ....

The entire team at Freecaster is working hard and will improve with every race. Thank you for your feedback and guys keep on supporting us and tuning in.

Ray

Here is my experience, and I detail it not to whine, but to make it better....

Logged into freecaster.com site to watch live race, loaded fine, race came on good, first bit was color test bars and live audio, they were testing etc, but could hear those guys.
I saw about 3 heats maybe 4 of mens racing, then video/audio froze.

So I closed everything on laptop (had laptop plugged into big HDTV hdmi watching, was rad) rebooted, freecaster site would not even load.

Tried desktop, mtblive, transcened, pinned, bikemag video would not start at all.

Went to neighbors house, he has dsl, i have FIOS, diff ISP's, he is on XP machine...nothing worked there either.

Gave up.

came back 20 mins later to try again, tried freezecaster, etc, none worked, last resort was PINNED website embedded deal, it began to play, saw consi round and final for men and women.

Nigel did a great job in booth, Warner needs some more media training and the german dude needs to be evicted from race site, he is horrible.

Once played, video quality and camera locations were mint for me.

Thanks

Oh, and Milan is going for the win

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Ray, thanks for getting involved and troubleshooting, I guess at the end of the day we got to watch the main event and that is always nice.

Keep up the good work and tell the powers that be, you guys are bringing back racing, get ready for more of a flood of viewers.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
exactly, live MTB is the best thing that has happened to the sport in years in my opinion. the quality of the broadcast was very good.

was warner taking the piss out of pagey being stripped of his worlds win with the 'have you ever won anything' comment or what??

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ray thx for the work and for writing here. I think most of the ppl understood the problem but its nice to hear from the crew.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Thanks! Although I haven't seen it yet because it's a sunny Saturday with lots of riding to be done. Just came in to check on results and switch bikes for the afternoon ride. However I'm none-the-less grateful for the service you all are providing and taking the time to explain all that.

What is dosh? Is it something we can help pay for by pay-per-viewing the races?

I can hear some people moaning but it seems if you kept it low priced, 5 or 10 bucks per event ...with an option to subscribe for the whole seasons worth of racing for a lower overall price per race, we cheapskates would cough it up for guaranteed live, uninterrupted viewing.

...Maybe it can be free the day after the event.

Thanks again!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Is there a re-run or at least some heats viewable anywhere? I was (shock, horror) out riding my bike so missed all the fun, I want to see this quad action :)

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Producing a live webcast is complex for the following reasons:
- everyone wants to start watching at the same time that creates a bottleneck that slows down the servers
- as the servers are slow people refresh their pages which increases the load on the servers, thus creating a huge traffic jam
- as the servers fulfil requests, the viewers get their streams
Maybe sharing that info with the broader public? Like below the screen, aswell as all sites that link on to your; Littermag etc.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Maybe sharing that info with the broader public? Like below the screen, aswell as all sites that link on to your; Littermag etc.
I forgot which site it was, but in the mess of windows I had from various sites, one of them did have a notice 'refreshing page only increases load on server, please do not refresh, it will auto refresh as needed' I think it was mtb-live?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
^ seems to me Dan really worked those backsides and let it go a bit more into that left that he almost got jacked on the heat before, but he pulled it, and got a wicked gap going. Dan rode that textbook-minus the lemon gatestart.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That was amazing watching, fantastic stuff. Can't wait to see some of the 4x in decent quality, but I suppose I'll have to wait for the next crop of DVDs circa 2009 :(

SO pleased for Dan, great effort. The temptation to party hard tonight must be high! :)

Course looks frikkin nuts, a big improvement over the fairly tame Maribor one IMHO.

So good that I've just watched it 4 times :) Anyone got a vid of the small final with Gracia's pass?

Last edited:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I forgot which site it was, but in the mess of windows I had from various sites, one of them did have a notice 'refreshing page only increases load on server, please do not refresh, it will auto refresh as needed' I think it was mtb-live?
Good to hear they've already thought of it, don't want anything to mess up my Sunday prOn. :biggrin:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i think gracias pass was the highlight of the show, totally bummed he didnt pull through to the finals. Although, the one footer was pretty sweet, and dan totally killed it.

as far as the feed, worked quite well for me, only one real blip after about 2 minutes of no feed I closed the window, reopened it, waited about 20-30 seconds, sound came on but not video feed, waited another 30 seconds, and the video came back on. Smooth sailing besides that.

I agree with stik. also, they were way too rough on the girls, I see they're not as good as the guys, I dont need to have that told to me every single run they have, im not an idiot, and they were going way faster then I could have and riding the course like mortals, so it was fun watching them. Hope they're not so rough on the women in the DH, made it alot less fun. And doesn't do alot to help women advance in our sport either if they're just ridiculed, we can TELL they're not as fast as the men. Who cares, they're still fun to watch.

anyway, thanks for the feed, looking forward to waking up at 5:30 to watch it. Course I might just stay up all night drinking and watch it when it comes on, but either way, its awesome, much appreciated!

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
wow, that is one of the most amazing 4X races I have ever seen, dan atherton was absolutely flat to the mat! he deserves it, what a quality win! that quad he hit was so class!!! cant wait for the DH race...