Quantcast

Angelfire WC updates?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Well the 4x is surely to be the biggest of the season. And the DH is gunna be RENNIE Im almost positive. The course is so wide open a big guy like him will have the advantage.

Oh yeah and the 4x guys should be on fullys and have there nuts in a wad. I dont care who you are i GARUNTEE even gracia is having second thoughts about those last doubles. The are like 02 Sea otter big.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
You want big, try Willingen. One pro broke there leg on the double in practice. No one hit it during the race. Nuff said.

biker3 said:
Well the 4x is surely to be the biggest of the season. And the DH is gunna be RENNIE Im almost positive. The course is so wide open a big guy like him will have the advantage.

Oh yeah and the 4x guys should be on fullys and have there nuts in a wad. I dont care who you are i GARUNTEE even gracia is having second thoughts about those last doubles. The are like 02 Sea otter big.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
sayndesyn said:
You want big, try Willingen. One pro broke there leg on the double in practice. No one hit it during the race. Nuff said.
I know Germany was big, On a DH bike yes. Wait till you see pics of the last doubles at Angel Fire. They look like doubles that you would see on a moto track. 40 ft doubles with lips taller then me 1 after another on a 4x track is BIG, not to mention the other really sweet doubles on the top of the track.

And no gracia goes huge but he will def have his doubts, until he gets enough attention from the crowd then he'll send it big.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
So this year all theese 4x tracks are "better" because they have giant moto jumps.....?.......and now no one is even jumping them......?.....except like 3 guys....

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
biker3 said:

Not just FS bikes, but I beat everyone will be wearing their fullface helmets. I wonder how many pros will be putting on their flat pedals? I remember the X-Games BMX DH track, only one pro hit it with clipless pedals.

BTW, which pro broke their leg?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
blt2ride said:
Not just FS bikes, but I beat everyone will be wearing their fullface helmets. I wonder how many pros will be putting on their flat pedals? I remember the X-Games BMX DH track, only one pro hit it with clipless pedals.

BTW, which pro broke their leg?
the muscular one who is gonna grab your head and pop it like a zit for questioning his setup.... :love: :dead: :dead:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Cant Climb said:
So this year all theese 4x tracks are "better" because they have giant moto jumps.....?.......and now no one is even jumping them......?.....except like 3 guys....
That was at the CHILI CHALLENGE. Which isnt going to have WC level riding.

All the WC 4x guys will have to hit them to compete. Lets put it this way. If the smoothest flowy guy like prokop were to have say like 5 bike lengths on the next guy on the track and he decided to roll the dubs, The next guy would regardless of who it was would fly right by him. Were talking full speed STEEP entries into these doubles. This part of the track is on an insnaley steep pitched ski run. Its prb a tough blue/easy black diamond ski run in the winter for you ski types.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Cant Climb said:
I'm with you on this. The courses are better because they put work into them for once, but if no one is jumping them..what's the point?

You need a course 90 of guys can ride fluidly, go big on, but also one that races well and isn't won by whomever snaps at the gate.

The race shouldn't be won because one guy had bigger balls or because there are only 4 guys int he world capable of jumping part of the course. Let's be honest, lopes, gracia and prokop are on a different level (with a few others) then most of the rest of the best. (wow, didn't make too much sense there).

Edit: missed that this was at the chille challenge..thought you meant in practice this week.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Transcend said:
I'm with you on this. The courses are better because they put work into them for once, but if no one is jumping them..what's the point?

You need a course 90 of guys can ride fluidly, go big on, but also one that races well and isn't won by whomever snaps at the gate.

The race shouldn't be won because one guy had bigger balls or because there are only 4 guys int he world capable of jumping part of the course. Let's be honest, lopes, gracia and prokop are on a different level (with a few others) then most of the rest of the best. (wow, didn't make too much sense there).
Agreed. This course has TONS of passing and what not. There are PLENTY of spots for carnage as well. If Gracia developed the gate that lopes and prokop have I think hed be winning A LOT more 4x races.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Transcend said:

Edit: missed that this was at the chille challenge..thought you meant in practice this week.
Unless the jobs are built incorrectly, I don't see any reason why no one would be jumping them. It's nice to see a 4X course that has real jumps...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
blt2ride said:
Unless the jobs are built incorrectly, I don't see any reason why no one would be jumping them. It's nice to see a 4X course that has real jumps...
Ditto, everytime there are big jumps most get their panties in a bundle for no reason...if a couple guys can do it, then it is possible for any pro. If a few can not then they need to think about racing XC or playing checkers. This is not a sport for those with no balls or skills. One certain pro I know spends most of his days doing gate starts, practing corners and most importantly jumping jumps...the bigger the better, trying to jump them as fast as possible while of course clearing them....if all these other suckas are gonna cry about it, then they need to try harder or go home.

BUT, they do need to built properly AND big...the sport will NEVER have any progression without big air-that is a fact, hate to break it to you whining babies.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
here are some of the dubs from the chili challenge. You cant see the landing of the last one cuz its so far from the lip. They are WAY bigger in person as you all know.

Here is the set of finish jumps. Like i said full speed and HUGE.

Here is a smaller one on the course but still a sweet jump.

Here is the step down after the road gap going into the big dubs. Your going about mach10 right here.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Transcend said:

I guess it is progression...... building these tracks is tuff and it seems like things are moving in the right direction. It isnt all about building giant BMX tracks though. Recently, it looks like you could hold UCI 4x and UCI Downhill BMX the same weekend on the same track.....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
stiksandstones said:
BUT, they do need to built properly AND big...the sport will NEVER have any progression without big air-that is a fact, hate to break it to you whining babies.
Big jumps are necessary but not if only 2 guys are clearing them......and guys are snapping their legs.....if there that big it makes the sport look not so good...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
stiksandstones said:
Ditto, everytime there are big jumps most get their panties in a bundle for no reason...if a couple guys can do it, then it is possible for any pro. If a few can not then they need to think about racing XC or playing checkers. This is not a sport for those with no balls or skills. One certain pro I know spends most of his days doing gate starts, practing corners and most importantly jumping jumps...the bigger the better, trying to jump them as fast as possible while of course clearing them....if all these other suckas are gonna cry about it, then they need to try harder or go home.

Stiks is right, it's all about progression. This track will favor the riders who spend more time jumping and riding tracks than those riders who spend most of their time on road bikes.

I feel confident that most of the pros will be hitting these doubles come race time...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
blt2ride said:
Stiks is right, it's all about progression. This track will favor the riders who spend more time jumping and riding tracks than those riders who spend most of their time on road bikes.

I feel confident that most of the pros will be hitting these doubles come race time...
Problem is, if there is a bottleneck on the drop right before the three large doubles, they might not have the choice to hit them. At the Chile Challenge during the pro heats, it was common to see the first two guys having to roll the doubles because they were getting tied up, and then the guys trailing would have the speed to pass over the doubles. I think BCD got some footage of this. It's a great course design, I can't wait to see who wins it. It's one of those courses where anyone can be in contention until the very end.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
You guys are talking "chile challenge"...I am going to take a guess and say the fastest guy there was Ross Milan, not neccesarily a world cup contender-just wait to see the top guys in the world, I am sure all will be fine and they will make it look easy...have one of these while you are at it.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
stiksandstones said:
You guys are talking "chile challenge"...I am going to take a guess and say the fastest guy there was Ross Milan, not neccesarily a world cup contender-just wait to see the top guys in the world, I am sure all will be fine and they will make it look easy...have one of these while you are at it.

Ross didn't even race. Broke his c-bone (i think) in practice.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
stiksandstones said:
Ditto, everytime there are big jumps most get their panties in a bundle for no reason...if a couple guys can do it, then it is possible for any pro. If a few can not then they need to think about racing XC or playing checkers. This is not a sport for those with no balls or skills. One certain pro I know spends most of his days doing gate starts, practing corners and most importantly jumping jumps...

you mean like this guy?

dondon

Monkey
sorry to bum you guys out - but the argument is moot - as they ploughed the last straight - and dummed down the last three jumps - too bad - its now way to easy.
Dh was fast and dry - people just checking lines etc, extra rocks piled up in rock sections since chile chalenge.
Expect to see some big booming hip jumps photos. Spomer was on it!!

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
dondon said:
sorry to bum you guys out - but the argument is moot - as they ploughed the last straight - and dummed down the last three jumps - too bad - its now way to easy.
Dh was fast and dry - people just checking lines etc, extra rocks piled up in rock sections since chile chalenge.
****ing retarded. Thats horrible. :nope: :mumble:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
dondon said:

Edit:I read that completaly wrong.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Sherpa said:
****ing retarded. Thats horrible. :nope: :mumble:
That's weak! If the jumps could have been rolled, they should have left them. The riders who wanted to hit them could do so, and the others could roll them. It's not like they were "do or die" jumps.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
blt2ride said:
That's weak! If the jumps could have been rolled, they should have left them. The riders who wanted to hit them could do so, and the others could roll them. It's not like they were "do or die" jumps.
it's not like they have motors and 250 cc engines

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
You don't need a 250 to jump those kinds of jumps. The 4X course was built on a ski run, they would have the speed. The track that was used for the 2003 BMX DH event at the X-Games had jumps that were longer than 40' and everyone was jumping them...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I want to see rock gardens on the lips or on the run-ups.....don't see that in Moto or BMX.....

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Why does every thing in DH,4X etc need these huge jumps to progress? Look at SX, the sport MTB aspires to be like. They don't have any jumps that the last place pro couldn't do. They are all reasonably spaced according to the riders abilities. Just b/c JS, RC or CR do them with ease doesn't mean they stretch them out another 20-30 feet. They do have sections that create options(double in, triple out, triple in double out, etc) and that makes things intereting.
When this sport was at it's peak in the mid-90's it was all about good racing and DH was on more natural terrain. I'm not saying no jumps but bigger isn't always better. I would imagine we would have more success if we looked back at how things used to be (promotion, courses, events) and try to rebuild that rather move away from what made the sport strong.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
WheelieMan said:
Problem is, if there is a bottleneck on the drop right before the three large doubles, they might not have the choice to hit them. At the Chile Challenge during the pro heats, it was common to see the first two guys having to roll the doubles because they were getting tied up, and then the guys trailing would have the speed to pass over the doubles. I think BCD got some footage of this. It's a great course design, I can't wait to see who wins it. It's one of those courses where anyone can be in contention until the very end.

http://bcdbcd.addr.com/pics/AF'05/suttton%20pass%20rob.MOV

http://bcdbcd.addr.com/pics/AF'05/cain.MOV

i am sure all the people that qualifie will jump everything

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
ekozy39 said:
Why does every thing in DH,4X etc need these huge jumps to progress? Look at SX, the sport MTB aspires to be like. They don't have any jumps that the last place pro couldn't do. They are all reasonably spaced according to the riders abilities. Just b/c JS, RC or CR do them with ease doesn't mean they stretch them out another 20-30 feet. They do have sections that create options(double in, triple out, triple in double out, etc) and that makes things intereting.
When this sport was at it's peak in the mid-90's it was all about good racing and DH was on more natural terrain. I'm not saying no jumps but bigger isn't always better. I would imagine we would have more success if we looked back at how things used to be (promotion, courses, events) and try to rebuild that rather move away from what made the sport strong.
Did you see Supercross 15 years ago? those SX guys looked at the jumps and said "no way can we jump them"....then one guy did, another, then 10 more, now everyone...It is really quite simple.
Did you ever see some of the HUGE jumps Eric Carter made at his races back when he was creating his mountain cross tracks? They were huge, but made so everyone can do them. EC is not known for being a 'big jumper' but he did them fine. The sixpack he made at the Vermont mountain cross demo race was so big, so wicked and most of the pros jumped it, the fans loved it and the race was a hit. Huge jumps are not the cure, but I like to see guys fly on bikes with no motor, it gives me wood....so maybe its a personal pref thing.

Sure there are other ways to have great racing for 4x...but nothing wrong with some big air.

Do not get me started on DH and big jumps, people would flock to the TV to watch guys going 50 mph jumping 60' jumps down a fireroad...I know I would.

<<<EDIT>>> P.S. while on the subject of SX, go Vote for RC, the baddest mofo EVER for an ESPY Award
http://espn.go.com/espy2005/s/05maleactionsportsnominees.html